PDA

View Full Version : transmission grinding????

ess3489
08-21-2009, 11:13 PM
when my boat idles it is fine then once i put it in gear it kinda makes a ticking noise for the first 5 seconds then once i increase the throttle the noise ends.... its not that loud but i can still barely hear it and feel the transmission ticking. only happens when going slow for first 5 seconds once in gear. any ideas or similar problems. am changing the fluid in it tomorrow not sure if that will make a difference

techsledder
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I was searching here in the forum for a post that would closely describe the noise I am hearing and this one does it. So to add to what is described above, I am hearing a rattling noise when I put the 1990 Sunsport (PCM 351W & 1.23:1 tranny, 566 hours) into fwd gear. Just out of idle. Seems to disappear after you throttle up into faster speeds and after the engine and tranny are good and warm or so. I do not feel any issues of slipping in it at all. Bolts & nuts on connections I can get to are tight. Could this mean I need to do a tranny overhaul this winter? Is this sound reminiscent of the clutch pack going? Am I worrying about nothing here and is this a normal noise?

jasonba1
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
from what I understand you are worrying about nothing i remeber asking Jim about this a while back it and dont quote me it has something to do with the damper plates in there and the 1.2.3.1 tranny always did this you can call and ask him for sure but I know he told me it was nothing

techsledder
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reply, Jason. I’ll be sure to give Jim a call about it.