PDA

View Full Version : Part it or fix it ?

boyd
08-23-2009, 07:47 PM
1988 ts6m. Just bought it. Floor is rotten and transmission is shot. Rest of body is very good. I could sell, rudder, prop, dash components, bimini top, windshield, vents, sky pole, motor (720 hours) runs great, new decal kit, ski platform, rails, great looking trailer, drivers seat, motor box steering wheel, side vents, etc... lots of parts. I have about 3900 in the boat. I can'ty decide whether or not to sell the boat for parts or redo the floor, carpet, 1/2 the seats and transmission. I"m new to the Supra world. I know it's hard to tell without seeing pics but the boat looks good overall. The gel coat is great and so are the stringers and motor and trailer. Good condition overall. You guys have been around these things more than me. What do you think.
Where could I get the transmision rebuit 1:1 Velvet drive.

BOYD

mapleleaf
08-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Boyd,
Welcome.... It's hard to say, I'd be surprised if once you tear the floor out you don't find yourself replacing all the foam and stringers, Parts of your stringers may still be good, but most likely they are rotting as well.... I'm in the same boat, no pun intended.... My Floor's good and my engine mounts are strong, but I have some rot started at near the gas tank on my stringer's...I'm into the 5k range now......
It really depends on much you like the boat, and how much work you're willing to do yourself. The invest on stringer's doesn't show a return and as for the velvet drive I think it depends on where you're located, ski dim should be able to help you there.....
It's my first boat, so I'm biased, but these really are great boats 20 yrs old and still competing with todays boats.....
Goodluck with your decision....

jasonba1
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
viper customs can rebry reuild your tranny for very reasonable 865-388-4096. Im not sure selling the parts off your boat would make up what you have in it . its a very hard call on wheter to rebuild everything or sale. As mapleleaf said they are great boats and way ahead of their time. I think I would rebuild the tranny and work on your stringers then you will have a great boat that will last you for a long time.

mapleleaf
08-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I forgot to mention that If your drive shaft alignment remains good and your engine mounts sty tight, you can run that thing for quite a bit longer, before doing any stringer work......

rludtke
08-24-2009, 09:34 PM
If your total investment so far is only $3900 including purchase price, then I think you have some room to spend before you get backwards. Of course the number of years you think you'll keep the boat influences this argument. If you think you want this boat, or one just like it less it's problems, you have two choices:

Sell this boat at a loss or a push at best, and spend more on it's replacement.

Or, spend more on this boat to solve its problems.

The addional benefit to the second option is the confidence you will gain in this boat as you will have discovered and repaired all of it's shortcomings. Buying another used boat means that you start the discovery process all over again.

This is a tough, tough decision, my two cents: It's cheeper to keep her.
;0)

mapleleaf
08-24-2009, 09:41 PM
It's cheeper to keep her.
Good one!! LOL

beast 496
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
pull the tranny and rebuild yourself, very easy to rebuild a velvet drive, basic tools, or at least you can buy all at a Sears. Chances are all you need is a clutch and gasket kit, possibly a pump. Allan

boyd
08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Great advice guys, thanks for the input. The stringers are a little rotten but not much. Only about 20% is rotten. I"m thinking I can put down some pressure treated plywood and cover it with fiberglass resin and it should last every bit of 15 more years. I'm drying them out now with a fan (2 weeks) Heck, my house is buillt on 18" centers. This boat is on 4" centers. I'll fix what little of the stringers is rotten. I love these boats. I will take some pictures Wednesday and post them to give you an idea of what I"m dealing with. I'm going to make this a ressurection thread of a 88 supra.
Hears the deal on the transmission. I checked it when I was looking at the boat and it looked like muddy water in there. Started the boat (I love the PCM motors), the boat sounded great, When I put it in gear there was alot of grinding and clunking coming from the transmission. I stopped immediately.
I'm hoping I can do a fluid change and possible save it. But if I can't I was wanting to know my options. I see where the new ones are around 1200.
I"ll post some pics Wednesday.
Thanks guys.
BOYD

jasonba1
08-24-2009, 11:19 PM
i think you can have it bebuilt for at viper for under 500 easily but not sure I can check on that price if you would like me to.

boyd
08-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Ripped the floor out this weekend. Cut new wood and screwed to the stringers. Used 1/2 pressure treated wood. Drilled holes in the wood to fill the cavaties below with expansion foam. Used galvanized 2" screws. Caulked the seams and wednesday we are fiberglassing the floor to make it water proof and very strong. Tomorrow we are installing a new steering cable. Lots of fun so far. Still having a little transmission problems. I think we have a leak in the trans. cooler. After 3 changes of fluid it still comes out looking like strawberrry milk after 5 minutes of running on a water hose.

boyd
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
a few more pics. I can't figure out how to make the pics larger. Just click on them and they get larger.

chautauquasun
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I believe I also have a leak in my oil cooler as well and have the same problem you are having with the fluid getting water in it. I just ordered a new one off of skidim and hope to install it this weekend. They said after you install it, expect to change the fluid at least 3-4 more times to purge all of the water from the system.

i see you replaced your floors...I am assuming your engine stringers must have been in decent shape. Mine are shot and need replaced. I would do it myself but really dont have space to do this type of work...and nothing to remove the engine with. Please send some pics after you have completed it.

thanks

bbordin
09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Boyd,

Not to burst your bubble, but screwing the floor to the stringers may have just accelerated your stringer rot, by punching it full of a bunch of holes. Screws also point load forces and would likely shear with flex in the hull, especially if the stringers are a little on the weak side. Take a look at correct craft fan club, lots of stringer and floor replacement threads there.

Most recommend NOT to screw the floor to stringers, but to bond it with F'glassing methods. Also most don't recommend PTL.

Good luck with the tranny.