PDA

View Full Version : Lubricating Rudder Port

Fishman
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I've been reading my manual again...they say I should "Lubricate Rudder Port" annually...

Anyone know how to do this and with what products?

thescott
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Same question here. 2008 22SSV. My dealer told me there should be some grease zerks back there, but I'm not seeing any.

Fishman
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi thescott. Just got back from the dealer and he told me that there should be a zerk somewhere around where the rudder comes though...I haven't looked yet, but, I'll let you know if I find it.

Also, he said you can definitely over grease~! It's not like an axle where you know when you are full when it starts coming out the other little hole. He siad if you over grease it will tighten up the steering.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
That is correct. My boat is older but it should be the same. At the auto parts store they will sell a small kit with grease gun and adapter for large and small zerks. These should be small zerks. You can also get marine grade grease. I also picked up some replacement zerk-heads beacause one zerk on the rudder arm was clogged with dirt. It screwed right out and I put a new one in. There should be a 2-3 zerks, one on the rudder, 1-2 on the rudder arm. Pump them up, then turn the wheel a few times back and forth. Go back with a rag and wipe up any grease that has now squirted out. If you dont it will end up in your bilge and you will hate it later!

Fishman
08-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks 87, I'll try it and let you know how it went.

Fishman
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
ok, just finished...here's what I would recommend to anyone doing this job:

1. Flexible hose on end of grease gun.(depending where your zerk is, this 12" hose made it easy for me to reach the zerk.

2. Clean the zerk really well. (initially, I couldn't get any grease to go in...then I cleaned the zerk and it worked.

3. 3 Pumps of the handle is what I did. Do not overgrease is what my dealer told me.

4. Have someone turn the wheel as it's going in or put some in, turn it, put some in, turn it etc.

This is a 10 minute job if everything goes well. Honestly, I don't know if the steering is a whole lot smoother, but I have some peace of mind about it....the manual says to do it every year.

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I agree with everything you said above hehe! My gun came with the flexible tip from the store. I replaced zerks that didn't work, I wasn't really able to clean them, but they are super cheap and I didn't really try!

Honestly I am not really sure if it helped my steering a ton either.