PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a rebuilt transmission to the list of repairs this fall?

chautauquasun
08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I have been running the boat the last two weekends pretty hard with skiing and tubing. After running it hard for a few hours I start to have transmission slipping problems. I got back to the dock and checked the level and found that it is very low and the fluid is a pink color rather then red. Two weeks ago I thought maybe I just gotten some water in it so I drained out all of the fluid and refilled it with new. Transmission then ran great.

This past weekend I checked the fluid before I went out and the level and color looked good. We skied and tubed for about 3 hours and it started slipping again...went back the dock and found the same problem...very low fluid and was pink again.

I dont see any signs that it is leaking. I know that the stringers in mine are really getting bad and am thinking that this mybe putting pressure on the tranny and getting it too hot. Not sure if I have done permanent damage to it at this point or not. It works great when it is full...doesnt slip and goes in and out of gear easily. Could the cooler be bad? Engine is staying perfectly cool.

Could it be leaking into the bell housing and not getting into the bilge? I am at a loss as to where the fluid is going. I did read a post that it the fluid could be leaking into the cooler and being flushed out. Is this possible? The fluid turing pink leads me to believe it is getting water in it. It has been getting some water in it under power due to the packing continuing to leak (I believe that is due to the bad stringers and engine movement)...so it could be getting in but that doesnt explain the level dropping.

I am at a loss. Good thing is it runs great when it is full. I guess I can just bring along fluid and replace it..but it has to be going somewhere.

Any ideas?...Do I need to get the tranny rebuilt as well as new stringers? Any ideas would be helpful. At this point I am just assuming that the tranny is shot and will need rebuilt but would love to hear some better news.

It is the Warner Gear Velvet Drive 1:1

thanks

Dan