PDA

View Full Version : 84 Supra Rider 351 PCM Oil Change

chardway
08-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Just changed the oil for the 1st time on the 84 Supra Rider I just purchased. I drained the oil out via the factory drain connection and changed the filter. The engine manual says the 351 PCM crankcase holds 4 qts + 1 qt for the filter. I put about 1/2 quart in the new filter and dumped 4 and 1/2 quarts in the crankcase. I haven't started the boat since it's out of the water. However, the dipstick reads about 1-1/2 inches over the full mark. Can this be right? Maybe when the oil is drained some remains in the crankcase? With the 15-degree engine tilt, will the oil level actually read between the marks when it has the right amount of oil in the engine? I just don't want to over fill ot under fill it. Thanks!

Oilguy
08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I haven't changed the oil on a Supra yet... but my general rule is to make sure I am in a position to crank the motor when I am finished changing the oil >> To make sure everything pressures up right and the filter doesn't leak... What I generally do is put in less than it calls for and then start it... Then wait a bit for the oil to settle back down and then check the level.

I then add until it is 1/2 to 3/4 in the safe zone because oil will continue to drain back to the pan for about another hour >> Especially if it is not warm.

Regardless of what the spec's call for >> I follow this procedure whether it is an 18 wheeler or a lawnmower.