PDA

View Full Version : What size wakesurf board?

nicksterious
08-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Looking to buy a new wakesurf board that is constructed more like a real surfboard. I currently have the CWB Ride, but its so big and stable, its difficult to spin on.

Any idea what size is ideal for people less than 200lbs? I'm thinking 4'2" to 4'10".

Any ideas?

What about your own board?

87SunSportMikeyD
08-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Have you tried it with a smaller fin or no fin? Maybe give it a shot. If you want something more like an ocean board you want a Shred Stixx for sure. http://www.shredstixx.com/ they have some amazing boards. You can also try wakeoutlaws.com classifieds sometimes there is a used Shred Stixx board.

There are a couple more brands I am not that familiar with that you may like. Check the general store at wakeoutlaws.com they have tons of great great gear.

If you are wanting a board to spin on (360s, etc) you probably don't want a true surf-style board, but rather a skim-style board like a Inland Surfer, Phase5, or Liquid Force Custom. These are epoxy boards (except the custom is hand shaped). I love my IS 4-Skim.

wotan2525
08-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I've got something for just about everyone and the question is difficult.... I'm ~215lbs so take that for what it's worth.

Hyperlite Landlock 5'11 -- Too big for what you're looking for.
Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" -- Too big, great for beginners.
Phase 5 Oogle 4'10" -- Probably close to a good intermediate size, but not really made to spin.
Walzer 4'7" -- Something in this size range would probably be perfect. The Walzer is considered a skim board and is much, much, much easier to spin than anything else in my quiver. It is, however, difficult to cut hard on and is probably best described as feeling like you are standing on marbles. I can't imagine being able to get air on this board, but the phase 5 and LF Custom would probably be better for this.
Liquid Force Custom 4'6" -- You'd be able to ride this just fine -- good board, but hard to spin even with only 1 or 2 fins installed.

Supra-in-steamboat
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
My friend is every bit of 250lbs and he spins 3s on the HyperLite Coex. I think it's 4'3."

Supra-in-steamboat
08-26-2009, 11:53 PM
My friend is every bit of 250lbs and he spins 3s on the HyperLite Coex. I think it's 4'3." maybe 4'6"

87SunSportMikeyD
08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
There are some sweet vids on youtube of people spinning on the Coex it sounds like it might be a good cheaper option and easily available.

jonyb
08-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I've got a 5'6" Inland Surfer Red Woody, and it's way too big. Can't do many tricks on it at all. Probably should've stayed with a 4'9"

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah the red woody is described as their longboard or cruiser. Do you ever try longboard tricks on it? Hang 5, firehydrant, sitting or laying down on your back, there are more longboard tricks I bet if you search 'em... They are cool and very laid back. We have an ocean-surfboard we use like a longboard it is fun. But my IS Four-skim is 4'6", much much smaller.

Have you checked out http://www.trickboardz.com/ they are a neat design. I am thinking of getting one...

jonyb
09-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Sure haven't Mikey. I've had this for about 2 months and really haven't ridden it enough to get experienced enough to try stuff.... I'll check that out though.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I just got this link in an email from Inland Surfer. Check out how he rides sitting down in the beginning! Super fun. Guy has awesome skills too. Pretty sure they are surfing an Enzo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzVosib-nY