PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid and Issues

chautauquasun
08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
I am reposting part of this under a different title hoping more members read it and may be familar with my issue...also what type of transmission fluid is everybody using. I check the PCM manual and it said Type F so that is what I put in. Should I be using something different/newer? What is everybody using in there early 80s velvet drives?

Here is my other issue:

I have been running the boat the last two weekends pretty hard with skiing and tubing. After running it hard for a few hours I start to have transmission slipping problems. I got back to the dock and checked the level and found that it is very low and the fluid is a pink color rather then red. Two weeks ago I thought maybe I just gotten some water in it so I drained out all of the fluid and refilled it with new. Transmission then ran great.

This past weekend I checked the fluid before I went out and the level and color looked good. We skied and tubed for about 3 hours and it started slipping again...went back the dock and found the same problem...very low fluid and was pink again.

I dont see any signs that it is leaking. I know that the stringers in mine are really getting bad and am thinking that this mybe putting pressure on the tranny and getting it too hot. Not sure if I have done permanent damage to it at this point or not. It works great when it is full...doesnt slip and goes in and out of gear easily. Could the cooler be bad? Engine is staying perfectly cool.

Could it be leaking into the bell housing and not getting into the bilge? I am at a loss as to where the fluid is going. I did read a post that it the fluid could be leaking into the cooler and being flushed out. Is this possible? The fluid turing pink leads me to believe it is getting water in it. It has been getting some water in it under power due to the packing continuing to leak (I believe that is due to the bad stringers and engine movement)...so it could be getting in but that doesnt explain the level dropping.

I am at a loss. Good thing is it runs great when it is full. I guess I can just bring along fluid and replace it..but it has to be going somewhere.

Any ideas?...Do I need to get the tranny rebuilt as well as new stringers? Any ideas would be helpful. At this point I am just assuming that the tranny is shot and will need rebuilt but would love to hear some better news.

It is the Warner Gear Velvet Drive 1:1

thanks

Dan

agetech
08-26-2009, 06:54 PM
If the fluid is going into the cooler you may be able to see an oil film behind the boat. But a slow leak like that may go unseen. If no signs of fluid in bilge it has to be the cooler.

chautauquasun
08-26-2009, 11:01 PM
thanks agetech....I am certain it is not going into the bilge area...and the pink frothy color leads me to believe it is getting water in it. I know that the water has not been that high in my boat so I think you must be right...the cooler must have a leak in it.

Is this common? I see on Skidim I can get a replacement for around 70 bucks...so I assume they must go bad over time....right??? I am also assuming it is the original that came with the boat in 84.

I guess I will give that a try and see.

Any advice on the type of fluid you would recommend?

agetech
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
My PCM 1.23:1 uses Dexron III not sure about Velvet Drive, but dexron is common in older trannys and gear boxes. Coolers do start leaking internally (thats why skidim has them in stock) nothing lasts forever. Mine is getting old too, I try to remember to check the tranny fluid when I check the engine oil. Get it ordered so you don't loose another weekend.

chautauquasun
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
The manual for the PCM/Velvet drive states Type F transmission fluid but wasnt sure if I could upgrade to something better.

Will do on ordering the part. Not going up to the lake this weekend so I should have plenty of time to get the new one in from Skidim to install before Labor Day Weekend.

thanks!

chautauquasun
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I replaced the oil cooler in mine this weekend and thankfully it solved all of my transmission issues. No water getting into the fluid and the fluid is staying in the transmission. No sign of slipping or any type of damage. Boat ran great this weekend. The problem was definitely a leaky oil cooler. I think it may have been the original when the boat was new....it was painted the same silver color as the engine. Could an oil cooler last that long...it is 1984.

Another thing to watch out for if you are running on a weedy lake...I found a lot of weeds sitting inside the top of the cooler. Something I am going to have to check after running from now on. Does anyone know of any type of water filter that can be put on before it enters the cooler to capture weeds and debris before it goes into the cooler?

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Glad to hear problem is fixed!

Oh your boat doesn't have a raw water strainer? Sean Fecal_fajita said that about his too. Every boat should have a strainer.

A google search led me to...
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/135305?&cid=chanintel&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=135305

Fman
09-09-2009, 05:29 PM
On my '08, I have a Hurth transmission, takes ATF Dextron III fluid (2 qts). The V-drive is a walters and uses 30w engine oil (1 qt).

agetech
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Definately watch out for a clogged oil cooler. I got my engine so hot one time I could hear it sizzling. The cooler was clogged with debris from the river. I guess that is why there are gauges on the dash.

Salty87
09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
water filter that can be put on before it enters the cooler to capture weeds and debris before it goes into the cooler?

http://skidim.com/images/she18005.jpg

search 'sea strainer' at skidim

chautauquasun
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks Guys...I will be picking one of these up for sure. Our lake is full of weeds....I like the see through cover so you know when to clean it out. Another upgrade to be installed this winter.