PDA

View Full Version : zzzzzzzzzzzzz sound in transmission

Fishman
08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Just changed the packing on the shaft on my boat and while I was doing the test run, with the V-Drive and Tranny exposed, I heard a buzz or ZZZZZZZZ sound coming from that area. Initially, I thought it was from the packing that I had just changed, but after I took a closer look the sound was happening in neutral...without the shaft moving. So it has to be coming from the tranny.

I replaced V-Drive cover and backseat to see if I could hear it and I could barely hear anything. So I think this noise was always there...I just couldn't hear it with all the padding covering it in the back seat.

The sound gets higher pitched the more gas you give 'er.

Now, i went back and checked my records and I had tranny service done on my boat every spring except 09.(I am trying to save some money this year and am just learning how to do some of this stuff myself...)

I'm going to buy a pump and do a trans service soon. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas about this noise? Hopefully, it will go away after the service.

Thanks.

agetech
08-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't have a V-drive but you can hear a lot of strange sounds when engine covers are left off. I doubt you have any problems.

Fishman
08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
I think you are right. I just did a trans service myself...it hadn't been done in 5 years, and it seems it is quieter. Trans is real quiet with the back seat al the way back...So, I'm done freakin' out about the zzzzzzzzzzz. I think it is totally normal.

Fish

KO1
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Mine makes a similar ZZZZZZ sound when the rear seat is removed and cover is off. I think you're alright.