PDA

View Full Version : Marine Vinyl Flooring

Oilguy
08-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Has anyone every used marine vinyl flooring? I just replaced my floor and stringers and I cringe at the thought of putting carpet back into it... I would rather have something that is less like a sponge for water.

I want something that is water proof... easy to keep clean... Easy on the feet... Not slippery when wet... and something that doesn't hold on to sand... dirt... and tiny bits of grass.

Does anyone out there have this kind of floor...

Likes... dislikes??

Thanks

wotan2525
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM
When I replaced my floor I was really, really close to having the entire interior rhine-lined or Line-X'd. Unfortunately, since I didn't pull the cap -- I wanted to use carpet since it seems to hide things alot better than the rhino lining would have. You can get it in almost any color and it's skid-free, easy to clean, and waterproof.

Oilguy
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Wotan..

I did the bedliner material on my last boat and I didn't really like it.. I used white and it looked fantastic when I finished it... But it likes to trap sand and mud and has kind of a dingy color to it after a couple of years. Also >> It is pretty rough on the feet (I know I am a wuss) and knees if I have to work on the motor or any other reason you find yourself on the floor of a boat...

I was looking at the Nautolex Flooring like this:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/dedotmaflmgr.html
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23580
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23612

chautauquasun
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow...that is a great idea. I am having my floors and stringers redone this fall and figured I would just get some low pile marine carpet but your idea of going with a vinyl like floor is a great idea...you have me thinking.

I had 6 boys under the age of 11 on mine last week jumping off the front of the boat and swimming back to the swim platform and getting back in the boat and jumping off again...the carpet was soaked from the back to the front.....probably still not dry. A textured vinyl would solve that....fantastic idea. The white simulated decking looks kinda interesting...makes it look like an old inboard.

Has anyone else done this? any pics? I kinda like the grey or white with the raised discs....it would look great and more modern.

wotan2525
08-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I see -- interesting idea. Personally, I'm not too worried about carpet. The marine carpet is made to not soak up any water. It can be wet -- but it never gets spongy and seems to dry out pretty quick. As long as you really seal the top (and bottom) of the floor with a 2-part epoxy or fiberglass, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it trapping water.

I try to leave my boat uncovered for at least 24 hours after I use it. Even if it gets rained on, it's usually dry after 24 hours in the sun.

Ironcross25
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
when I redo my floor and strings (seems to be a common trend around here) Im not pulling cap either. I am looking at maybe doing gator grip until I get up under the bow then just carpeting that. Epics have a gator grip style floor in them and they look pretty good. Not sure on how it does with dirt. I have it around the top of my boat were ther teak rails were and Ive never had anything stick in it.

beast 496
08-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I have replaced many Pontoon floors and covered with a product called "Nautiux" This is a non skid marine flooring vinyl. You can buy in 6' to 8' widths. It works good on pontoon's I guess it would work also on Inboards. I am installing teak on our Beast. Someday I will finish. Allan