PDA

View Full Version : Comp hull crack

BarefootBefore50
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Hello - Wondering if other Supra owners out there have experienced a hull failure similar to mine...

I have a 2004 Supra Comp LTS that recently developed a 2-foot long crack in the hull (see pics). It is located under the windshield area, about 1 foot from the center keel. It is through the hull, as the bilge pumps were activating regularly, and I can see water streaming from the crack with the boat on the lift.

I immediately pulled the boat from the water and took it to the Supra dealer here in Wisconsin. They had two different hull repair firms look at it, and both confirmed that the hull had suffered a structural failure. There was no sign of any impact. They recommended that the boat be taken to the factory for evaluation & repair.

Herein lies the problem... I am 3rd owner of this boat, and Skier's Choice "limited lifetime hull warranty" does not technically transfer. The boat was owned by a professional ski team for the first year (2004), traded back to the dealer, and bought by an individual who used it for 3 seasons (2005-2007). This individual needed to sell due to financial reasons, and I bought the boat via private-party sale at the end of 2007. Skiied all of 2008, and the hull failed in mid-2009.

Recent discussions between the dealer and Skier's Choice have yielded nothing in terms of support or coverage by the factory. SC has ignored my e-mail and phone call. I am very dissapointed in the factory's lack of response, and that they will not stand by the quality of their product. This is not the type of failure one would expect from such a respected brand, especially for a 5-year-old boat that has been cared for meticulously. When I purchased the boat it was in "like new" condition, with hardly a scratch on it. I have babied the boat in my 2 years of ownership, storing indoors during the off-season and always keeping the boat on the trailer or lift when not in use.

Now I'm looking at an expensive repair, plus transportation fees to and from the factory in TN. Based on my experience thus far, I would not recommend the Supra brand (or any other Skier's Choice brand) to anyone.

Frustrated in Wisconsin,
Steve

csuggs
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Wow - I haven't seen one quite like that before. No signs of impact . . . .

There's a guy in Maryville that many of us recommend when in a jam - don't know if he can help you out with this one or not, but you could call Jim Jackson @ 865-388-4096. It's worth the call. And if he can't help you, maybe he knows someone who can.

Good luck . . . .

myturndad
08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
i have never seen something like this before. keep trying to get ahold of rick tinker and see what he says. good luck and wish you the best.

jasonba1
08-28-2009, 02:03 PM
I talkedto Jim at viper customs today about your boat and situiation, Give him a call I am almost postitive you will like what he has to say and he can help you out. 865-388-4096

OUI
08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
That's not a complicated fix. You could do it yourself with a couple of tools, some fiberglass and resin.

Oilguy
08-29-2009, 10:33 AM
I have only done a little bit of fiberglass work so far... But I would not be scared of tackling that job... It looks like a fairly simple project.

Good luck either way.

OG

BarefootBefore50
08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks to all who have replied...

I did call and speak with Jim Jackson at Viper Customs last Friday (thank you Jasonba1 for giving him a heads-up on my issue). He was very knowledgable about the hull construction of my boat, and about the company as well. My main concern is to have the hull fixed correctly and permanently, so I won't run into problem like this in the future. Sounds like his shop does alot of hull repair work for the factory.

In response to OUI and Oilguy... I've done some gelcoat repair in the past (and even a floor replacement on my previous boat), but per the Service Dept. at the Supra dealer, this is not a simple gelcoat cracking problem. Jim Jackson said that there are several strakes and a stringer in that location. My guess is that the stringer let go, causing the outer hull layer and gelcoat to rip. Jim stated that in these cases they would typically access the hull from the inside, requiring cutting out a section of the inner liner (which forms the ski locker floor in this area). Then a structural repair would be made. Not something I would want to tackle myself.

At this point I'm waiting for some repair cost ranges from the factory (via the dealer), as well as a transportation estimate. I may end up trailering the boat to TN myself for a repair.

Again, if anyone out there has had a hull failure like mine, please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

87SunSportMikeyD
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
have you emailed Rick Tinker directly? Worth a shot [email protected], also [email protected] I also have his direct office number if you would like it.

BarefootBefore50
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks, 87SunSportMikeyD, I just sent an e-mail to Rick and Rob.

BTW, I think Rob's e-mail is [email protected].

Fman
08-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Hello - Wondering if other Supra owners out there have experienced a hull failure similar to mine...

I have a 2004 Supra Comp LTS that recently developed a 2-foot long crack in the hull (see pics). It is located under the windshield area, about 1 foot from the center keel. It is through the hull, as the bilge pumps were activating regularly, and I can see water streaming from the crack with the boat on the lift.

I immediately pulled the boat from the water and took it to the Supra dealer here in Wisconsin. They had two different hull repair firms look at it, and both confirmed that the hull had suffered a structural failure. There was no sign of any impact. They recommended that the boat be taken to the factory for evaluation & repair.

Herein lies the problem... I am 3rd owner of this boat, and Skier's Choice "limited lifetime hull warranty" does not technically transfer. The boat was owned by a professional ski team for the first year (2004), traded back to the dealer, and bought by an individual who used it for 3 seasons (2005-2007). This individual needed to sell due to financial reasons, and I bought the boat via private-party sale at the end of 2007. Skiied all of 2008, and the hull failed in mid-2009.

Recent discussions between the dealer and Skier's Choice have yielded nothing in terms of support or coverage by the factory. SC has ignored my e-mail and phone call. I am very dissapointed in the factory's lack of response, and that they will not stand by the quality of their product. This is not the type of failure one would expect from such a respected brand, especially for a 5-year-old boat that has been cared for meticulously. When I purchased the boat it was in "like new" condition, with hardly a scratch on it. I have babied the boat in my 2 years of ownership, storing indoors during the off-season and always keeping the boat on the trailer or lift when not in use.

Now I'm looking at an expensive repair, plus transportation fees to and from the factory in TN. Based on my experience thus far, I would not recommend the Supra brand (or any other Skier's Choice brand) to anyone.

Frustrated in Wisconsin,
Steve

SC should cover this, I thought they offered a lifetime warranty on the hull? If it were me I would keep calling them.

LChaff
09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I feel your pain Steve.
We just discovered NUMEROUS cracks in our 2005 Supra Sunsport 24V and now have discovered a 2 foot opening in the gel coat. We have taken it to a fiberglass company locally which has determined that the hole and other cracks are structural. Needless to say, we are furious.
We are taking it to the Supra dealer this weekend but we are afraid we will not get a great response out of them.
Please let me know what else you have done that may help my case!
Ticked off in Texas!
Lisaq

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
That crack is scary looking. I have not read the warranty closely in my boat, but the lifetime warranty was a factor when I purchased my boat.

Fman
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
LChaff,

I am sure SC will warranty this, I believe the hull is covered for the life of the boat for structural failures. Obviously if you hit something this is not the case.

Give Roger Lowery a call or emal, I believe he is in the warranty department. His email is [email protected]. Another contact is Rob Loucks, his email is [email protected]. And lastly, Matt Brown is another contact I have used with good results, [email protected].

Keep us posted on this, it would be ashame if they left people hanging because of a structural defect. I would think with this type of failure they might have to replace your entire hull or just give you a new boat.

Good luck.

AKSupra
09-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Recommend the factory fix that one. That looks suspiciously like a poor QA in the chopper mold. Keep at them and call every day.

Frustrated in Wisconsin,
Steve

Fman
09-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I thought SUPRA uses hand laid fiberglass? I thought they did not use a chopper gun to build the hulls? or maybe you are referring to sometnhing else?

BarefootBefore50
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
LChaff,

Hopefully you are the original owner of your 2005 Sunsport, and SC will take care of your boat under warranty.

As for my situation... after repeated e-mails and phone calls to SC by both myself and the dealer, the dealer finally got a response from SC. Seems they are currently swamped with warranty work (I guess lots of owners are having problems with their boats). SC recommended to my dealer to have his hull repair guy cut into the boat hull to determine the extent of the damage. If it's not too bad, then it will be repaired here in Wisconsin over the winter. If the repair guy thinks it's extensive and better off fixed by the factory, he will stop work and we'll look into getting the boat to TN.

Still not sure who's paying for all this... I may end up getting stuck with the bill.

Steve

Kconrad001
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Well,

I'm not too happy with losing my 2005 24 SSV Supra Launch to a salvage yard after Skier's Choice would not step up and fix what obviously is a flaw in the hull design! I hope my insurance company bails me out, no pun intended!

The boat developed two 3 to 4" cracks just behind mid-length of the boat. The boat is obviously flexing too much in this area on this size of a boat. The H2O penetrated into the gell coat and eventually ripped off the entire right side of the bottom of the boat and it started taking on H2O in a hurry. My son luckily saved the boat and was able to get it into a slip on the lake.

See the photos, there was no impact at all. As proof, you can see what the crack looked like on the left side in the pics. The right side looked similar just hours before it peeled almost completely away.....

Not sure if I will ever buy a Supra or any other boat where Skier's Choice is the manufacturer!!!!4138

myturndad
10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
holy crap. was there any impact with something.

i no longer own my 05 ssv 22 but i had a lot of gel cracks that were repaired under warranty.

wotan2525
10-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow!! It was times like this that I wish Supra had an official presence on these boards.... I'd love to hear what their answer to these issues is.

Anyone have any contact info for the OP? I'd be interested in how his situation was (or wasn't) resolved.

jet
10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
WOW! Those pics are scary. the fist boat not a big deal but that last one..I have never seen a hull that bad before. Scary

DAFF
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Funny how the cracks seem to follow the natural contour of the stringers. Perhaps in the stringer design is too ridged and thus making the hull flex to the point of fracture. Then complete failure as soon as the water gets under the gelcoat.

All I know is the insurance companies will soon get wind of all this and the premiums for these boats might get crazy. In my opinion why should the insurance company take the hit for this issue. This is truly a building defect and a very serious safety risk, who would be at fault if the boat went down and people drowned ???

cadunkle
10-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I would be livid. Supra should step up and cover this, be it a repair or replacement. I'm no fiberglass guy but that looks like some major damage. Never seen anything like it. Shouldn't matter that it's the third owner, the boat is practically brand new so Supra should take care of this guy and be happy they don't have a wrongful death lawsuit on their hands. These composite construction boats are supposed to last pretty much forever if well cared for, I thought that was the idea behind offering a lifetime warranty.