PDA

View Full Version : Spare prop?

venom93corba
08-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Do any of you guys carry a spare prop? A couple of people that I talked to said they did so I called my dealer and he said the stock prop for my Supra was $525! Thats alot of money just to have as a spare. Does anyone know the demensions of a 2k9 prop ? What do you guys do?

Sluggo
08-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I always carry my spare, but I did not go right out and buy one when I got the boat. I tagged a stump one day and while it did not ruin our day, it did produce enough vibration that it needed to be repaired. Couldn't be down for a couple weeks or so it was going to take, so had to bite the bullet and spent a little more than that for a new wakeboarding prop (14.25x14) and bag and tool. I would say it all depends on if you have the funds and how important getting back on the water is to you.

venom93corba
08-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Is that 14.25x14 the stock specs or was that a different prop?

Sluggo
08-31-2009, 12:41 PM
For my 2005 22SSV, I belive 13.5x17.5 is stock, someone please correct me on this if this not right. The 14.25x14 will give you better hole shot and better gas mileage while pulling, at least that has been my experience, but you loose top end. What year/model boat are we talking about? Assume a 2009 model given your original post.

venom93corba
08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah I'm looking for a spare for my 2k9 Launch 21V. How much was that wakeboard prop if you don t mind me asking?

Sluggo
08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I want to say I got it plus the kit for just under $600 a few years ago. That was new, so you might also find deals on used or repaired if you are just looking for a spare in case of emergency.

klewis
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I just got a new prop for my 08 22 Launch. I got the same thing that came stock an OJ 14.25 x 14 LH 1- 1/8". I talked to Supra and they said they found slightly better performance out of the OJ over the Acme. I bought it from www.skidim.com and the guy there said the blades are slightly thinner on the Acme so the OJ can take a hit better. I should know cause I tapped my brand new prop on the trailer yesterday on it's first day out. Got hit by a rogue wave from the back corner at just the wrong time getting on the trailer. Took it home and used a crescent wrench to clamp down on the tips and making small tweaks I worked it back to good as new. Took it back out later and had zero vibration.

I've never had an Acme but like I said two different sources said go OJ. There was a 10% off coupon code skidim gave me to use online and they had free shipping on props. I think the code was USA. The prop came to $493.

I plan to buy a prop puller next as I don't want to be stuck again because of a bent prop. It is inevitable that you will hit the prop on something. It may not be anytime soon but it's better to be ready for it so you at least get to enjoy the rest of your weekend besides just ruining your prop.