PDA

View Full Version : GPS Perfect Pass Upgrade

Skylar18
09-06-2009, 04:08 PM
I have the Wakeboard Pro Perfect Pass system on my 2007 Sunsport 22V. My marina has damaged my paddle wheel 5 times in two seasons. Though it only cost 30 dollars to replace it and about 5 minutes of time, I usually don't realize it is damaged until we idle out to the lake and I get no speed reading.

My question is has anyone upgraded to the GPS version of Perfect Pass (Star Gazer) and is it worth it? It is about 450 dollars to upgrade. I am not the most handy person so is it easy to do it your self? How does it integrate into your dash display? I don't want anything hanging off my dash so does it just use your existing guage?

I went to the Perfect Pass web site but it didn't really give you a lot of installation details.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

cptsupra
09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
When I researched the same upgrade, I was told by both SC and PP customer service that Stargazer will not interface with your Supra Dislay. I did not research further to see if you can simply add another complete stargazer system in place of the analog speedo. I didn't want to mess with all that so I just kept the factory non-gps system.

beast 496
09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Won't your perfect pass work off of RPM base. This would be a better method than a paddel wheel

Skylar18
09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes it will and I probably should switch to that if it goes out. I just got 2 kids who wakeboard and wakeskate that base everything on mph!

Perfect Pass told me today that their GPS model should plug righ in a work with my display. Any 2007 Supra and later.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Perfect Pass told me today that their GPS model should plug righ in a work with my display. Any 2007 Supra and later.

Let us know if that works. I want to upgrade too, and it would be great if I can keep my factory (Supra) display. I also have an 07.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is the perfect pass page with Stargazer upgrade info and FAQs.
http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_star_gazer.html#upgrade

Using the RPM based mode is not recommended by PP for any activity that uses a weighted boat or speeds slower than waterskiing. The paddle wheel is by far more accurate measure of the actual boat speed than a speedo or rpm measurement. What about when you turn the boat sharply? RPMS stay the same but speed dips lower.

I am pretty sure you can keep your display. It is plug and play.

Why is your marina not paying for these damages?

Skylar18
09-09-2009, 02:05 PM
They actually would but they would fix it on their time....Usually a week to get the new paddle wheel and several days to install it. I usually have a bunch of people each weekend ready to "board". Several of the people each weekend (2 are my own kids) go nuts (in a nice way since it is my boat if they aren't my kids) if the speed changes when they are in the middle of their run.

It is just easier for me to pop the wheel in place in 5 minutes once the boat is out of the water. (I now keep a spare one on hand)

That being said, 500 dollars seems like a lot, that is why I'm wondering if anyone has done it or thinks it is worth it.

tg0824SSVGG
09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Skylar,

My old PP on the I/O - as well as the new one on the Supra came with a "dummy"
device to put in place of the paddle wheel. I was told that it should be used
when trailering for long distance, etc - so as to not wear out he wheel - as it may/will
spin in the wind.

Do you not have one of these plugs to use? Woudl that be easier than replacing?

Just a thought.

KO1
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Yes it will and I probably should switch to that if it goes out. I just got 2 kids who wakeboard and wakeskate that base everything on mph!

This is what PP told me also. We sometimes ride on a river with a current so the stargazer may not work that well on the river as I was told. So I use the RPM mode mostly it's really easy to figure out how to translate the mph to rpm. Just throttle past your set speed on take off so it will get to speed quicker. Then throttle back as you get to speed. It will take no time to get a feel for this. Smooth as silk.