PDA

View Full Version : How to drain Standing Water in Center and under Transmission, 2005 21V

ProZach415
09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a 2005 21V. I am not able to drain all of the water out of the bottom of the boat. Even when I jack the front of the boat up high water still stays under the Transmission and is never pumped out of the bilge or drain out of the rear drain plug (above the wakeplate). When the boat is sitting level the water stands in the center of the boat. I cannot find any other drains to get this water out. Anyone know how to get this water out?

thescott
09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
You've touched on one of my few pet peeves about my boat...
Here's what I do - I actually lower the front of the boat so the water pools at the center right below the front ballast locker door and pump as much as I can out with the forward bilge (seems to work better than the back bilge for some reason) there is always a little bit left. I used to use a squeeze bulb (like a turkey baster) to get the remaining water out - works fine but takes a while. Then I purchased a mini wet/dry shop vac and now I use that instead. Works super fast (Also works great to drain any standing water from the ice chest) after I vac all I can, I shove a terry towel down there and work it around to get as dry as possible. Try to get it all out. I've left a small amount in there before...turns slimy and stinky. No fun...

I think the bilge drain is poorly placed...when there's time and others aren't waiting on me, I pull the plug while still sitting on the ramp and it still doesn't get all the water out. If you look at the location of the drain hole from the inside, there's like and inch between the bottom of the hull and the drain hole...

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I unplug my rear drain plug when I am pulling out at the boat ramp and let it stand at that extreme angle for a min. This is very common in many boats imho.

ProZach415
09-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advise! This is definetly annoying! You sound just like my mom with your ideas! I guess mom is always right...

JohnnyH
09-14-2009, 12:16 PM
ditto on the plug removal at the ramp if no one is waiting. then back at storage i use a shop vac i purchased just for getting rid of this water. I hate water in bilge.

KO1
09-22-2009, 08:11 PM
I added another bilge pump in front of the V-drive and it pumps it out now. Epoxy it to the floor though because that area is very thin. Screws may go through the bottom.

JohnnyH
09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
did you have to add another thru hull or just tape into the lines out??? I was thinking of doing that same thing this wkend

jonyb
09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Same thing with me parking on the boatramp. I've had to actually drain some of my fat sacs through the bilge (actually, a lot lately) through the bilge due to the crappy pumps that hardly ever work. Or when it's not ballast, it's the water from the cooler that's ran into the bilge.

KO1
09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
did you have to add another thru hull or just tape into the lines out??? I was thinking of doing that same thing this wkend

I used a pump with a foot valve and T'd into the existing line.
It works great and hardly any water in the bilge now. The other bilge pump never comes on because the new one takes care of everything. It is just a spare now.

JohnnyH
09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
what is a foot valve? call me stupid i guess

87SunSportMikeyD
09-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I got a float switch to make my bilge automatic. Great when camping and I leave the boat in the water overnight. It was like $15. http://www.ezacdc.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=101

Fman
09-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a 2005 21V. I am not able to drain all of the water out of the bottom of the boat. Even when I jack the front of the boat up high water still stays under the Transmission and is never pumped out of the bilge or drain out of the rear drain plug (above the wakeplate). When the boat is sitting level the water stands in the center of the boat. I cannot find any other drains to get this water out. Anyone know how to get this water out?

You really should not have that much water in your bilge area. If you are accumulating excessive amounts of water something is wrong. I have left my boat in the water for two days and had very little water if any in the bilge area. Another way to remove the water is get a large old towel and soak it up and ring it out.

I checked my bilge area yesterday after using the boat all day and it was completely bone dry, no water at all near the rudder, steering cable, etc. Possibly your driveshaft packing/seal is leaking and needs to be replaced? Also check and make sure your drain plug has a rubber o-ring to seal it up properly. Check all your cooling hoses to make sure nothing is leaking whike the motor is running.

KO1
09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
what is a foot valve? call me stupid i guess

It's a slotted rubber wedge that allows water through one way and not the other so set it up at the T connection so the new bilge pump does not pump water down to the other bilge pump. Most bilge pumps will have these they are removable in the case that you don't need them.

iwakeboard
01-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Also check and make sure your drain plug has a rubber o-ring to seal it up properly.

Hey, sorry for the thread necromancy but this had me raise an eyebrow, is there supposed to be an o-ring on the drain plug astern? I have been investigating why I've had so much water in my bilge the past year and this may be why. Still trying to investigate what it is. I have a dripless shaft so I don't think the leak is there but still trying to figure out where it's at, can't identify it by just sitting on the water.

up4boating
05-22-2013, 03:14 PM
I just picked up a 2002 Santera. When I washed it I got some water in the front. I raised the front end to get it to run to the back. What confused me was the water in the ski locker wouldn't drain. I stuck a screwdriver in the hole to see if it was clogged and it went in a few inches and seemed to hit a stop or T or something. It didn't really feel like debris.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me?