PDA

View Full Version : water seeping into bilge valley?

mapleleaf
09-07-2009, 09:28 PM
After leaving the boat for 3 weeks, covered, I pulled the doghouse today to reupholster and found about a gallon and a half of water sitting in the bilge valley. The boat has had both plugs removed since my last trip on the lake, where we did take a couple big waves over the bow, and the cover has been water tight todate.
I know that at some point the stringers will need to be done on my boat, I'm just wondering if this water belongs to the waves that came over the bow and has finally made it's way to the bilge.
I have no visible cracks in my stringers except under the gas tank, so could it be another wet foam seeping water through screw holes situation?
Here's the million dollar question, my engine mounts are holding tight, but I get the feeling if I put an impact wrench on them they'd strip, I've yet to drill any exploration holes in my stringers (have been a little chicken too) is now the time to drill? and is it realistic to think I can get next summer out of my stringers before they need to be replaced?????

OUI
09-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Don't use an impact wrench -- way too much torque. You may never need to replace your stringers. Small holes can be filled, so don't worry about that. If you do find soft spots inject Smith's Penetrating Epoxy into that area -- it can turn Punky Wood rock hard. A lot cheaper than replacing stringers. If you took water over the bow it could take a while for it to drain to the bilge -- I wouldn't worry about it.

michael hunter
09-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I agree with OUI.

techsledder
09-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Ditto with the others. DO NOT use the impact wrench. Hand tighten those bolts with a light touch. Just like tightening any lag screw into wood you can over torque even in fresh, good wood!

Salty87
09-08-2009, 10:23 AM
did you notice a smell or color to the water?

if it had come from your last outing, it would be fairly clean since it would have just been runoff from the carpet. if it was nasty, it probably got filtered through the foam and floor.

just forward of the engine is the deepest part of the hull. water will find it's way there if the foam gets saturated. there's no telling how long stringers might last. mine were solid, no engine movement. okie says he can see his engine shift, wotan's moved enough to rub a hole in the shaft log.

it's hard to say from this end. any soft spots? is there always water in your bilge? is there alot of rust on the engine from a moist engine compartment?

i don't think it's a bad idea to open an access hole under the spotter's seat. if it's dry in there, you can stop worrying. if not, you've got more information to make a decision.

mapleleaf
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
thanks guys...
Salty, thats the best idea yet, I'm going out with a holesaw after work to get a look at the foam. The water was clean so I figured it was from the last outing, there was just a lot....
No I won't be using an impact driver, I was only using it as an example, Hand tightening only when it comes to lags in ply......
As for the engine compartment it's pretty clean for it's age, not much surface rust if any......
I've snugged up my engine mounts twice this year, so it had me thinking about stringers, well so did Okie's thread I guess!
I think the water pooled near the shaft log because of the pitch of the trailer, I tipped her down and she's about dried out, had to run the bilge pump a bit too!
I'll get a pic of the foam up tonight...and Salty thankfully no soft spots in the floor at all.....

Salty87
09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
there's a stringer running under the seat base so make the hole closer to the middle of the boat, the closer the better. you might consider going 4" and getting an access cover....

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/1/6/whitecap_0.jpg

then tunnel thru the foam. if you can tunnel to the stringer, that would give you the most info.

mapleleaf
09-08-2009, 05:32 PM
my thought exactly, if I'm drill'in might as well be as close to the center stringers as possible, makes for less tunneling, haven't replaced carpet under that seat, so access cover and new carpet will make it show worthy!!!
Thanks for the advice......

chautauquasun
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Good Luck Maple...I hope all is solid. Mine....not so good. I have few weeks left in the season and I will be pulling her out and having the stingers replaced. My bolts are loosening some and cracks are getting bad. I think I am on borrowed time. I have avoided taking her out in rough water.

I hope yours is okay and you have a few more seasons in her before you have to replace them.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Good luck buddy take pics!!

turbolicious
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Can strigner & foam be check by the driver side? taking the foot tray out?? or even the batterie tray?? Is this possible to do?

I have access to the bilge but no where in the foam parts of the floor, I whent to check as well...

mapleleaf
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
pardon me but I lent out my damn holesaws and will have to wait 'til I get them back.....arggghhh specifically the 4-6" ones I wanted to use.....may have to go buy one......will post up pics when I track my "buddy"down, he's had them a while......