PDA

View Full Version : 88 Supra Project

parkerspop
09-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Ok, I just love following the threads on these old boats so I thought that I would share some before and after pics of my two year work in process.

Salty87
09-08-2009, 08:41 AM
that looks great, would love to see more

what have you done to it?

techsledder
09-08-2009, 10:53 AM
parkerspop, Wow! Looks great! Whose the manufacturer of that tower?

parkerspop
09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey,
Well it seems that I built the boat from scratch looking back. The list is long so don't get to baord here.

I started by replacing floor from the play pen to the rear seats. Thats how I come across this site(researching how to do info). Caught it early so stringers should be good for a year or two longer. Change the color by painting with the awgrip marine paint system(painted it in my driveway with remarkable results, bye bye teal and pink). Reuplostered the interior with the help of a lady at work. Still have the playpen and the bottom seat cushions left to complete becuase that was wood and must replaced. Applied decal purchased from ebay for $80.00. New carpet laid on FRP so that it is removable. Repaced impleller, a few hoses, radio, rudder, prop shaft packing, rub rail, bimini, and I am most likely forgetting somethings here. Rebuild trans, and carb. The tower is parkerspop original built in the shop at work with a tube bender we built to make a race car chassis (still working on that too). I also replace the lights on the boat and the trailer. It been alot of work. I always check here before working on the boat to see if anyone had posted info that might help with the project!
Thank for the help everyone.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Now is when you get to take the credit for all that work! :) We want more pics, and BIGGER! :) It is a Saltare right?

parkerspop
09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Mariah Classic, had it been a salty I would flop the engine around a made v drive out of her.
May be my next project if I find an old rotten one for cheap.

mapleleaf
09-08-2009, 05:37 PM
the paint looks great, thinking of doing the same thing to mine.....is it spray on?????

parkerspop
09-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Yea, it is the spray on. The only differecne with the roll on is the reducer. I think the bottom would be easier to roll on. I had a little problem with bug at first and had to redo some. If sraying outside do it at sunrise(far fewer bugs at this time don't kwnow why) and carry some fine tip tweesers, if a bug flies in remove it quickly and this paint(awlgrip) will still flow out.

mapleleaf
09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
thanks man, I'm pretty sure I'm in, did you sand down your gelcoat for adhesion??

mapleleaf
09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok, I can't stop thinking about this, Did you pull the windsheild and rub rail and paint the top deck too?
How much paint did you use? How many coats??
If I do mine it'll need to be the WHOLE thing so I'm trying to get an idea of how much paint will be involved...
The previous owner did too much damage to the gelcoat to save it and my new interior doesn't match that well...
Fall in Toronto would be a good bugless time to do this......

parkerspop
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I striped all the parts windshield, dash, vents, rub rail, railing swim deck you name it I took it off. One day all this can be done. Takes a little longer to put it back on mainly because cleaning replacing or repainting before putting it back. I jacked the boat up placed some boards across the bunks to get the boat off the trailer. Cleaned with the awlgrip degreaser, scothbright tight spots and wet sanded the big areas(fixed some scratched with bondo) primed then painted. I bought a gallon of blue a gallon white and pint of gray. I think I have enough left to do another boat. Took about five days hard at it to prep and paint two coats(40 min between coats at 75f) could only paint one color per day. Another week to put it back together. Wrap maybe easier but didn't know about them then. Paint holds up good easy to maintain, just wash. Only down side so far rock chips from 50 mi each way travel to lake need good mudflaps.

michael hunter
09-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I found this rock guard on line at a RV parts web site. 69.00 plus brackets its bolted to the hitch. It has eliminated rock chips on the boat.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mudflap001.jpg

mapleleaf
09-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Thanks Parker, I used to be a painter so the prep doesn't bug me as much as all the gouges in my gelcoat now! Did you use a HVLP style sprayer or do you think I could get away with a standard sprayer?
I just can't get over how great it looks....nice job

parkerspop
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I used a combination of both style guns. Both were Harbor Freight cheapies. Their good for job or two then chunk and get a new one. Thanks for the compliment.

That mud flap is just what I need.

parkerspop
09-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I finally found the picture of when she was being painted.