PDA

View Full Version : Boat Stranded me on labor day maybe a fuel pump ?

rwadlow
09-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Okay I guess I can't complain to much because the boat ran beautifully from early may to labor day but it waited until we were on the road at Bull Shoals , Arkansas (about 5 hours away from home to show its arise! )

At this point in the season we will just take it to the dealer but wanting to know what I we should expect. Started the boat when around the lake up the marina then back out in front of the marina and turned it off. Then the darn thing would not start it would crank over just fine but never fire up . We immediately thought bad gas we changed the fuel filter added some LOTSA water still the same problem. When we turned the accessory key on we heard click click click sound marina is saying he thinks it is BAD fuel pump (not sure if is the low pressure or high pressure, also wondering if it could be oil pressure problem) Was going to get low pressure fuel pump to replace it but no place had a carter fuel pump for a 02 Supra Indmar engine so rented a pontoon on Sunday BUZZ KIllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLLLL ………..

So we are pretty much done for the season will haul the boat dealer in in a few weeks. Just thought I see if any ideas on what is was, and share the experience !!
Thank goodness we were not out 10 miles from any marina because Bull Shoals lake is huge…… god will make me think twice about traveling far from home !!!!!!!!! :mad:

87SunSportMikeyD
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
That is a big bummer. You tried letting it sit for 20 mins or so and trying again?

rwadlow
09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh yes ......we had it towed to a slip put the boat in the slip tried again same thing. Boat sat overnight tried again the morning same thing. Changed fuel filter used LOTSA water, let it sit again same thing. The boat cranks over fine but won't fire up like it is starved for gas (but then when you turn the accessory key on you here click click) ........ Dealer thinks I need a low pressure Carter Fuel Pump but just could'nt get the parts in Arkansas on a holiday weekend.
We all noticed our belt is pretty worn so we have a long winter check list for the dealer to do so this hopefully won't happen again ...... thats boatin though !!!

agetech
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Drip some fuel into the intake manifold CAREFULLY if engine tries to run you will definately know it is a fuel problem. Yes this works with fuel injected engines.

0222SSV
05-16-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a 02 Launch with the Indmar 350 and it is doing the same thing. If I pour fuel in the intake it will fire up and run fine but when you just try to start it it will crank but not fire. Did you ever find out what the problem was?