PDA

View Full Version : My 1987 Saltare

Salty87
06-17-2002, 01:31 PM
1987 Supra Saltare
-23' 6" (i think that includes platform)
-96" beam
-PCM Chevy 454 with Holley 4 barrel, puts out 340 HP

Upgrades:
Wakeboarding tower
Acme 541 3-blade prop
Depth guage
Hot water shower
Stereo (1300 watts of RF amps, JL Audio 12W3 sub, Bose 151's on the tower, Infinty Kappa 6 1/2's)
Second deep cycle battery with isolator
Easy drain engine block for 5 minute winterization (from DIM)...year-round riding in TX!
Racks for 4 boards

Wish List:
Hydraulic wake plate (need a new boat)
Built-in ballast (when I re-do my slightly rotting floors)
Better storage access (gonna re-design rear seat, see above)

I usually don't use ballast, this boat throws a nice wake with a full gas tank and some friends.

If you're in Austin, email me and I'll take you for some pulls!

Kevin

http://www.wakeboarder.com/phorum/profile.php?f=3&id=2426

Greg Gugger
10-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Hi,
I have a 1998 Saltare and fight the winterizing process every year. A friend and I debate on the best way to do this. Could you explain how your block quick drain system works.
Thanks

Salty87
10-30-2002, 04:33 PM
sure...i got it from www.skidim.com

there are 4 petcocks to install in place of the freeze plugs. 2 on the lower block and 2 for the exhaust manifolds.

just turn the petcocks to open and the block is drained. then i take one side of the water pump hose off, at the lowest point to drain the pump, thermostat, and front of the block. that's it.

it's so quick and easy (and i live in TX) so i don't do a full winterization. drain the block before the freeze and go riding afterward.

Greg Gugger
11-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the explanation. My Saltare has the exhaust manefolds connected via a quick disconnect hose. The block plugs have other accessories attached. Engine Knock sensor on the right and a heater on the left. Because I live in Cincy, I need to do a complete winterization. I drain everything and then fill the system with RV antifreeze. Thinking about rigging an input valve to an antifreeze bucket and just running the boat until I see antifreeze coming out the back. Not sure if this will work because of thermostat and heater.

Thanks again,
Another Saltare owner

Salty87
11-11-2002, 11:28 AM
oh yeah, i forgot i have to run the shower now before it freezes, too.

not sure but i think the heater needs to be drained after you're done with everything else or the core will crack.

how does the knock sensor work?