PDA

View Full Version : wakeboard boats handling rough water

feere2084
02-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I'am thinking about getting a wakeboard boat but they don't look like can handle the rough water. Do they have a "V" bottom haul. I go in lake ontario so i need one that handles the choppy water well thanks

cowtipper179
02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
My opinion -- they're not as bad as you might think -- certainly not as smooth in rough water as a 21 - 22 ft deep V stern drive (Sea Ray, Crownline, Mariah, or somehting pretty heavy) but with some weight in the sacs and the hydraulic plate down they're pretty good. Beats the heck out of a jet boat. We take our SSV out on a big lake all the time and seem to do as well as anything else out there --- the biggest problem is you can't RIDE in rough water !

jsrasband
05-01-2004, 08:17 AM
You can take up the air chair.The rough water makes little difference.

silvtongdvl
05-07-2004, 04:11 PM
You might want to look at the new Moomba 23ft XLV I think are the letters - has high sides - v-drive and larger for some bigger water. They carried the "V" alittle furthur down the hull.
~S~

burkec
05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
What about the spray. have a 2012 launch 242 and passengers getting soaking wet crossing the lake. Disaster.
Any helpful tips?

jtomasik
05-28-2013, 05:16 PM
The newer ones look nice. I have an '87, and it's crap on a lake with anything more than wind-chop. Worst riding boat I've owned. Gonna sell it after I fix a carb issue I've discovered. It's a shame that Supra didn't know that Ford (the engines) stands for 'Fix Or Repair Daily'. :(

Jetlink
05-28-2013, 05:31 PM
The newer ones look nice. I have an '87, and it's crap on a lake with anything more than wind-chop. Worst riding boat I've owned. Gonna sell it after I fix a carb issue I've discovered. It's a shame that Supra didn't know that Ford (the engines) stands for 'Fix Or Repair Daily'. :(

You got a "Ford" carb on there? Try running a Holley or an Edlebrock and that should help alleviate your "Ford" issue.

kvand347
05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
You got a "Ford" carb on there? Try running a Holley or an Edlebrock and that should help alleviate your "Ford" issue.

Hahahahahaha! Jerk alert!! Jerk alert!! Hahahahahaha! :p

jtomasik
05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Hahahahahaha! Jerk alert!! Jerk alert!! Hahahahahaha! :p

It already has a Holley in it. I guess that isn't enough to douse the FORD reputation....lol.

2500HD
05-29-2013, 08:53 PM
It already has a Holley in it. I guess that isn't enough to douse the FORD reputation....lol.As a former owner of 2 fords a 71 and a 96 bronco i can say there aint nothin wrong with a ford (atleast it's not a dodge);)

Salty87
05-29-2013, 09:10 PM
^ ...ooh, burn!

burkec...depends on the conditions but generally you're gonna have to go a good bit slower in an inboard when it's snotty out. not only will the hull slam down harder from rollers/waves but inboards sit lower in the water than i/os so the spray will blow in the boat in really windy conditions. taking it slower will also get your bow up to cut through waves rather than slamming off of them. if the wind is still blowing spray then it's time to tell the crew to get cozy and huddle in the middle until you can get out of the wind and/or find smoother water.

now, where are your pics?? i think the 242 is one of the nicest new hulls around. i don't like pickleforks and that seems to be what all the builders are churning out. i think the 242 has sexy lines but also looks like it has a low bow. that's basically a supra trademark although not a rule.

burkec
06-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the helpful hints. Don't have any good pics. I will post some extracted from a video