PDA

View Full Version : More problems than I can handle

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Many of you know that I have continued problems with my 2007 Sunsport 22 check engine light. I thought the problem was finally resolved, but over the weekend, it resurfaced. I am pretty sure it is a false alarm, but I am going to play it safe and bring it back to the dealer. I really wish Indmar will resolve this problem. This issue is going on almost three years! My dealer always takes my boat immediately and has been great to work with. The problem lies that the check engine light does not throw any codes when he hooks up the computer.

To make matters worse, on the drive home Monday (towing my boat), I lost all gears but first and second. This is a great feeling when you are in the middle of no where, with your family, luggage, boards, and a 85 lb Alaskan Malamute puppy! I have never had a transmission failure on a truck (or car), especially one that has only 22k miles on it. I purchased the truck specifically to pull my boat. And I think I purchased more than I need, a 2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ with the 6.0 Vortex Max V8 with the Max tow package (bigger brakes, tranny cooler, and other stuff).

I ended up limping about 15 miles to the nearest Chevy dealership right off the freeway. I spoke with dealer this afternoon and he told me that the 1500 is not designed for towing. What? I requested clarification, and was told that I need at least a 2500 to tow. (Even though my truck is rated to tow 10500 lbs.) I think he wants me to buy a new truck!

Now the real problem, I am 130 or so miles from home with my family, large dog, three wakeboards, and luggage. Oh, yeah, I have a wake boat too! It is Labor day, and I am in a small Southern Town. Where am I going to rent a vehicle to get the family home! (Actually the family can wait, I want to get the boat home.)

Someone was looking out for me! A good friend happened to exit at the same exit and saw my troubles. He was able to tow my boat home along with everything else! I owe him big time!!!!!

mapleleaf
09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
What a tale, glad to hear everybody got home in one piece.......Your tranny trouble should be warrantied and as for the 2500 tell him if it's priced like a 1500 well you know the rest, heck have him make it a diesel with the Allison tranny at the same price! LOL

michael hunter
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Ask the dealer to put the towing comment in writing and then call the GM zone rep.
Tell him you want a complete refund on the truck with a 10k tow rating that shouldn't be used for towing. How do these people get these jobs?

techsledder
09-09-2009, 10:02 AM
That amazes me also. I can’t believe a dealer would have enough stones (or stupidity) to say that. I am looking for a new/used truck also, while the ½ tons are on my short list of trucks to get, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use the 1500 GM product for towing a large ski boat.

jonyb
09-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear of all the trouble. The newer GM's are a joke for towing. I just dumped my 08 Sierra 1500 with the 5.3 and now tow with my wife's 05 Denali. It has the same power package as yours, and actually tows better than any of the 1/2 tons, and better than the 2500HD 6.0L that I had previously.

As for the check engine light, give up.... Mine was on all year long, finally one day it cleared on it's own. I asked on here a long time ago about how to clear it and someone said cycling the key 17 or 18 times, but I don't know. Guess you'll have to call a dealer because you won't get that answer anymore on this place :D

techsledder
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
The newer GM's are a joke for towing. Really?! I guess I'll be staying away from the GM's 1500 series... My Expedition is old with 157k on her. I guess I'll be looking at the F250s like I originally planned.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear it that is a real bummer. At least you can boat with the light on.

jonyb
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Really?! I guess I'll be staying away from the GM's 1500 series... My Expedition is old with 157k on her. I guess I'll be looking at the F250s like I originally planned.

Yes, you hook anything to the hitch and the suck instantly turns on..... I've had a few other GM 1500's, and the 07+ style truck is definitely the worst one of all. Not to mention all the other crap they put on there like Stabilitrak and traction control. It's a TRUCK for god's sake!!!!

Stabilitrak is great when your boat ramp goes uphill in loose gravel. I pulled up far enough to walk behind the boat on the ramp, pushed the ebrake down, got out, came back, and tried to take off, but all 4 wheels were locked up from the stabilitrak. I had to let it roll back a little to release them so it would go.

mapleleaf
09-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Do I have to say that the problem's with my Tundra have been almost nonexistant......Sorry had to twist the knife, with 3000lb's behind her , she's quite a bit slower.......

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Yes, you hook anything to the hitch and the suck instantly turns on..... I've had a few other GM 1500's, and the 07+ style truck is definitely the worst one of all. Not to mention all the other crap they put on there like Stabilitrak and traction control. It's a TRUCK for god's sake!!!!

Stabilitrak is great when your boat ramp goes uphill in loose gravel. I pulled up far enough to walk behind the boat on the ramp, pushed the ebrake down, got out, came back, and tried to take off, but all 4 wheels were locked up from the stabilitrak. I had to let it roll back a little to release them so it would go.

The traction control is total crap. When I am on a slippery ramp the truck just does not move. I can floor it - no go. I turn off the traction control, put the truck in gear, and then on idle, I can pull out of the water.

I really did not have any problems towing with that truck - at least until this weekend. It has plenty of power, but I have been doing some research, and this looks like a known issue for the 07 Vortex Max.

I know I will take a bath, but I think I may look at an upgrade to an F250 or a Toyota. I am leaning towards the 250 because I want an eight foot bed. These 5.75 foot beds are just too small. I am not sure what my wife will say. My Silverado barely fits into my garage.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Forgot to add. I spoke with the dealer today. They have order a new (rebuilt) tranny. They said I should have the truck fixed sometime next week. No reason to why the tranny failed. I would like to know why it failed so I can look for the systems.

Of course, next week I am traveling, and will not return for two weeks, I come home, pickup my wife, and then we go to Vegas. (Maybe I can win a new truck?) I just do not know when I am going to be able to pick my truck up. 130 miles away is not a quick trip around the block!

michael hunter
09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Do I have to say that the problem's with my Tundra have been almost nonexistant......Sorry had to twist the knife, with 3000lb's behind her , she's quite a bit slower.......

3000lbs I wish. I pull 5500 to 6000lbs depending on boat. I have a 2001 GMC Safari van
4.3 L the suspension has been reworked and two trans coolers with a trans temp gauge.
It doesn't have any problem pulling but with the short wheel base I feel its maxed out.
After considering trucks and suvs I think I will stay with a van just go with a full sized.
I was told the Savana uses a Suburban chassis. I am thinking 2500 with a 6.0L.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mypics213.jpg

jclose8
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mypics213.jpg

Hey, who is that dude driving the van? He looks familiar....

Sluggo
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I have an 05 Chevy Express 2500 short wheel base with 4.11 rear end and 6.0 liter engine and external tranny cooler. The first thing I did was install a trans temp guage. After monitoring it for a while, the van hardly knows my 5000+ lbs 2005 22 SSV full of gas is back there. I can tell from the way it drives, but as far as engine and trans temp, not much difference. Now if I am towing in the hills of KY or TN, then it does tend to climb, but I have never gotten it over 220 degrees. Prior I had a 97 GMC 1500 with 3.72 and 5.7 liter, and it struggled a little more, but still not much over 200 with normal highway or around town towing.

Since then I have added an extra deep B&M pan and refilled with full synthetic. That dropped temps a good 10 degrees. BTW, I also pull a 11k lbs travel trailer with this van thus the additional cooling.

jonyb
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
The traction control is total crap. When I am on a slippery ramp the truck just does not move. I can floor it - no go. I turn off the traction control, put the truck in gear, and then on idle, I can pull out of the water.

I really did not have any problems towing with that truck - at least until this weekend. It has plenty of power, but I have been doing some research, and this looks like a known issue for the 07 Vortex Max.

Just so you know, if you hold the traction control button down for 10 seconds, it turns off the stabilitrak. That's a feature that's only on the crewcab trucks, and it may be 1 of your problems on wet roads or the boat ramp. When I dumped my truck, I bought an 04 Cadillac CTS-V with the Z06 engine. To my surprise, it has this crap on it too. Glad I can turn it off too :D

Something else that's limiting that truck and the power it has is the torque limiting feature. I forget what it's called, but with a custom tune you have it partially or completely taken out. It's controlled by speed and doesn't allow the intake manifold to open, such as doing smoky burnouts....

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Something else that's limiting that truck and the power it has is the torque limiting feature. I forget what it's called, but with a custom tune you have it partially or completely taken out. It's controlled by speed and doesn't allow the intake manifold to open, such as doing smoky burnouts....

Thanks, I have noticed that for a truck with an hp rating that it is a pig when I drop the hammer. I have been on the fence about getting a chip mod. I think you are referring to http://www.blackbearperformance.com/ It all depends what I do next. There is a F250 Harley Edition at my local Ford dealer that has my name on it. I am just not sure my wallet is prepared - in all honostly, I rather not buy anything new, I might just be stressed on a failed 2 year old tranny with 20k miles on it.

rludtke
09-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Ouch! Reading these GM complaints really hurts. I have owned GM trucks since high school, and struggle with the idea that they can no longer pull. I currently drive our 1995 K1500 extended cab, and my wife drives our 2000 Tahoe. (I converted her). Both of these I purchased slightly used, and they have given us fantastic service. My pickup really pulls the boat well, and so does the Tahoe, though the shorter wheel-base makes it a little less comfortable. The Tahoe has the little 5.3 v8, which probably makes as much power as the 5.7 in the pick up. Both seem to have adequate power for pulling, and neither struggle at all around the boat launch. Both are 4wd, which really helps as I pull the boat out of the lake on the gravel beaches.

I find myself coveting the later model Sierra crew cabs, but just can't seem to get the rusty wallet hinges to open.

klewis
09-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Previously my 1995 1500 Chevy did just fine pulling my Malibu Sportster. When we upgraded to our 08 22 Launch we also upgraded to a 2001 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 and Autoride. My 1/2 ton was rated to pull the Supra, but I new it would be at it's limit on the hills, plus with 2 kids we needed more space and storage out of the weather.

I LOVE my 3/4 ton Suburban with the 6.0, I barely notice the fully loaded Supra behind it and when there is no boat she jumps when I drop the hammer. I will never go back to a 1500 the 2500 is where it's at and the 2001 has no issues.

Can't say anything about the newer Chevy's since I've never had one.

senna1
09-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Here are a couple of links that might be useful. GM apparently limits the engine output on the 6.0 liter for 4 seconds (with the throttle fully depressed) before releasing the horses. These dyno tests document it:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=119281/pageId=118457

Also, the tranny failed on their long term tester at 31K miles. However, this was on a 5.3 liter so it might actually be a different transmission from what you have.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/07/2007-chevy-silverado-lt-transmission-failure-part-ii-transmission-repair.html

Hope this helps.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Here are a couple of links that might be useful. GM apparently limits the engine output on the 6.0 liter for 4 seconds (with the throttle fully depressed) before releasing the horses. These dyno tests document it:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=119281/pageId=118457

Also, the tranny failed on their long term tester at 31K miles. However, this was on a 5.3 liter so it might actually be a different transmission from what you have.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/07/2007-chevy-silverado-lt-transmission-failure-part-ii-transmission-repair.html

Hope this helps.

That is very interesting. It makes me feel like GM is bait and switching the truck. Why not give me all that power immediately?

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Okay, I might have a new problem that I cannot handle, but it also might not be anything.

Today I got a chance to clean my boat out. It has been raining for a week and today was very nice out. To compound matters, I left my boat cover in my truck (go figure!). So you can imagine, my boat is sitting in my drive and is drenched. The boat is also sitting on a slight hill, and the bow is pointed down slightly. When I jack it up, the boat is almost level, but still slight downward on the bow.

Today I cleaned everything, and for the first time in a long time, I removed the cooler under the rear seat, that covers the transmission and gives access to the valves for the ballast tanks. Here is where my problem lies. That area was full of water, not as high as the ballast valves, but close. The water appeared very dark (but that is from the black bottom of the floor) and their appeared to be Oil on top of the water. I put my hand in the water and there was a slight amount of oil. I turned the bilge on and pumped a good portion of the water out, but there was still water. So I was stuck, until my 8 year old son suggested I lower the jack so all the water could go to the front bilge. Thank G$# for the 8 year old, I do not know why I did not think of that. I took his suggestion and got rid of the remaining water.

Here is my question, should their be any oil floating on top of the water in the engine/tranny compartment? I have never seen water in there before, but that area has not looked clean (as in new) since I purchased it 2.5 years ago.

Fman
09-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Here is my question, should their be any oil floating on top of the water in the engine/tranny compartment? I have never seen water in there before, but that area has not looked clean (as in new) since I purchased it 2.5 years ago.

You can expect a little bit of residual oil in there. When you get your oil changed, chances are a little could make its way down into the floor board area. The V-drive oil change is very difficult to drain without spilling some type of oil on the bottom.

I would say a small amount is normal, if it was excessively heavy then I would start to be concerned.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I had the chance to get my boat to my service shop on Saturday. (Friend with a F350 Dually gave my boat a lift.) The shop's owner hooked up and verified that there was a cylinder 1 misfire.

This is the same error I had last year too. Idmar's response then was to reseat the harmonic balancer. Two years ago, the ECM unit was replaced to address this issue. This is the same problem for the past 2.5 years and still not resolved. Anyone else have misfiring engine? On a random basis? The plugs are changed yearly, and I am pretty sure the engine had new plugs when I purchased the boat, and the check engine light has been randomly turning on and off since day one of ownership.

In regards to the oil, it turned out to be a small leak from the oil filter. It was addressed, the check engine light reset, and I then spent the rest of the day on the water, without any problems. Even my stereo worked! All speakers, included the tower!

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Got a call that my truck was finished. I hopped on my motorcycle, drove for an hour and half, loaded the bike in the back of the truck and started to drive home. I got about halfway and then lost second gear. I decided to keep on going home but it was tough, the transmission fluid was heading north. Got home, unloaded my bike, put the truck on the street and called OnStar to send a tow truck. Tow truck came, picked up the truck, and the truck left a puddle of fluid on the steer!

87SunSportMikeyD
09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear you are having such bad luck buddy. Sending some positive karma your way. Look at it this way - you still have two great months to try and get out there! :)

Blackntan90
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Man, I feel your pain! My truck has become so unreliable lately, we have not seen the river in weeks! I am also looking at a 2500 suburban that will fit everybody comfortably and hopefully not kill me in gas! Good luck with whatever you end up with!

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Update

Transmission number two on the way. I do give props to my local GMC dealer (No Chevy dealer within 20 miles of where I live, Government Motors shut the two dealers down.) The GMC dealer immediately offered a loaner truck for me. Fortunately, I am traveling for the next weeks and I can live without my truck.

I am now hoping for the a third failure, that way the lemon law can kick in, I get my money back, and then by an F250 Harley Edition.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-16-2009, 10:56 AM
A big ol' sigh at those contradictory statements

KO1
09-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Update

Transmission number two on the way. I do give props to my local GMC dealer (No Chevy dealer within 20 miles of where I live, Government Motors shut the two dealers down.) The GMC dealer immediately offered a loaner truck for me. Fortunately, I am traveling for the next weeks and I can live without my truck.

I am now hoping for the a third failure, that way the lemon law can kick in, I get my money back, and then by an F250 Harley Edition.

The F250 will be much better.

jonyb
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
The F250 will be much better.

AS long as it's new and has a warranty. I didn't pay attention to whether it was a new or used truck, but if it's the first generation 6.0's, just stay away....

86Pirata454
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
we towed the old 86 pirata with a 98 chrysler town and country van 4 times haha. i was expecting the trans to blow pulling it out of the water

86Pirata454
09-20-2009, 02:16 PM
regarding the missfire if the code comes back it could be a coil on the way out. if its cop they had a problem with the coils going out or it could be an injector thats just a little plugged.

KO1
09-23-2009, 08:15 PM
AS long as it's new and has a warranty. I didn't pay attention to whether it was a new or used truck, but if it's the first generation 6.0's, just stay away....

I would have to agree I think '03-'04 6.0 liters were the ones with all the problems.

WadsworthSunsport22V
09-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Engine got a tune up last week and apparatnly all codes are cleared. Before the tune up the shop was able to duplicate all my problems. Hopefully, I will be on on the water today and will not see anymore check engine lights.

WadsworthSunsport22V
12-16-2009, 02:17 AM
Update, tranny number 3 is slipping!

(first died, then replaced , then replacement died and was replaced thus three trannys)

iwakeboard
12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Update, tranny number 3 is slipping!

(first died, then replaced , then replacement died and was replaced thus three trannys)

Haha, Harley edition Ford here you come! :D

But that sucks man, someone I work with used to tow his 24v with an 09 2500 duramax turbo diesel and it felt like you were riding a buffalo when towing something. It would stutter into other gears, the turbo would kick in at weird times, and when it would hit a new gear it'd jerk you real hard.

I'm looking for a new tow vehicle myself, but that's just because of high mileage on my '04 F-150, but it's been a great tow vehicle for my 24SSV, even for long drives in the hills of Tennessee.

As far as oil floating, it's almost certainly from your V-Drive oil. Almost the exact same thing happend to me, it took three of four cycles of oil to clear most of the water out of there. And as someone else said here, it's hard to change it without spilling some oil on the floor, so it could be from there to. I change that myself and it requires some gymnastic ability to get the oil pan out without spilling any. I'd be careful running that bilge too with oil in there, they do not like oil much, I'm on my second bilge because of this. The good thing is my local mechanic said those v-drives are bullet proof and he's never seen one go out (he's worked on them for years), even when running some water in there.

Mani
12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I pull my 86 sunsport with a 2009 F150 Crewcab, and it does the trick very nicely. Truck never has any problems getting up to speed and staying there even when loaded down with friends, gear, and the boat. Tow/Haul mode changes the shift sequence properly for towing, and the towing brake stabilizer keeps the boat from getting "death wobble".

I would suggest for you to steer clear of the Toyota line. They are still using C channel frames and that just doesn't settle well with me.

57fever
12-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I own a 07 supra 24 Gravity games. I was having trouble with the ck engine light. Took it to the dealer and they said it showed a missfire code. Just cleared the code and continued on. Later on they called Indmar they suggested change plugs rotor and so on. It wasnt long before she locked up. Piston was gone along with a broke rod. Indmar and my dealer stood behind there product and replaced the engine with a new one on there dollar. We use or boat alot it had 425 hrs on it when she broke. I would say it is pulling 98% of that time. The ck engine light is on now after the new motor.I will take it in after winter. Hope its all good.
Thanks Indmar and my dealer for standing behind your product.
Mike