PDA

View Full Version : Warranty repair? how long was your boat down?

Fman
09-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I was just curious about people here who have had warranty repair done on there boat. I took mine in last Wednesday for a cracked rudder, and they are still exchanging pictures and have had no confirmation if SC is going to repair it. The dealer looked at it and said its obvious nothing hit the rudder, must have been a defective rudder in production. The dealer said it is taking about 2-3 weeks to get anything repaired with warranty work. Apparantly SC is working on a skeleton crew.

Anyone else had a better experience? I am picking my boat back up Tuesday and using it with the cracked rudder, there is a lot of skiing time left here in Nor cal and dont want to loose out. Its a hairline crack that does not seem to be spreading. Weather here is 90+ degrees still. I am little disappointed in how long it is taking just to get a "yes" we will repair it. They still have to order the parts which will probably take a week to arrive once they get an approval from SC. The dealer is anticipating they will repair it, but he said it is taking a lot of time to get the approvals done.

I would think warranty items would be a priority, especially to get people back in the water. Starting to get a little disappointed.

jclose8
09-13-2009, 09:09 AM
[/cue negative comments from jonyb]

michael hunter
09-14-2009, 10:43 AM
I would have the dealer replace the rudder even if you have to pay up front and get the boat back on the water and let the dealer get the warranty reimbursement.

Fman
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I would have the dealer replace the rudder even if you have to pay up front and get the boat back on the water and let the dealer get the warranty reimbursement.

I am picking the boat up tomorrow and am going to use the boat with the crack in the rudder. I did use the boat last week before bringing it in and the crack seems to not be spreading. Definitely not making any crazy hard turns, hopefully they can get an answer from SC this week and get the part ordered.

I am a little reluctant about putting money upfront and getting reimbursed, given the condition the boat industry is in right now. The dealer has nothing but good things to say about SC and is confident they will do the right thing and replace it.

michael hunter
09-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Now you have to make 2 trips to the dealer. What I am saying is the rudder has to be replaced anyway. If it is a defect as it sounds you have nothing to worry about. At this time in the year the down time is more costly than fronting a few hundred bucks.

jonyb
09-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Looks like SC is dancing around the warranty that they gave you....

That's all the comment I have, sorry to let you guys down.

Fman
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Looks like SC is dancing around the warranty that they gave you....

That's all the comment I have, sorry to let you guys down.

We will see what happens, dealership seems to be confident they will replace it. He said it is moving in the right direction, or at least, I can only hope. Its 6 hours labor and the cost of the rudder, thats easily $1000+ repair.

tg0824SSVGG
09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
What is actually cracked that it's 6 hours of labor? Seems to me they could pull the entire engine - rebuild half of it and put it back in 6 hours. (or that's just what they get to bill
SC for the labor for that?)

mapleleaf
09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
I paid for 3 hours labor on points and a distributor cap...they're luxury items, even all beat up and old!!!!!!

Fman
09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
What is actually cracked that it's 6 hours of labor? Seems to me they could pull the entire engine - rebuild half of it and put it back in 6 hours. (or that's just what they get to bill
SC for the labor for that?)

Todd,

According to the dealer, the repair will take 6 hours of labor that they will bill SC for. I am not sure what is required to replace the rudder. He did say it was not an easy job because of the limited access under the motor area. I would think they would have a book similiar to auto mechanics on each job and rated hours needed to complete the job.

I am going on one week today and still no phone calls from the dealer saying the repair has been authorized or parts have been ordered. The good news is I took the boat out today, the water was incredible, we were the only boat on the entire lake! and the rudder did fine. No spreading of the crack. Had to put my spring suite on, but water temp was still 77 degrees at 7:15 am this morning. It was beautiful on the water this morning, I should have taken some pictures. Complete peace and quiet, you could hear the board cutting through the glass..... I needed that, this is the reason we own these machines.

Jon
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Replacing a rudder takes no longer than 1 hour. I have done it many times.

tg0824SSVGG
09-17-2009, 07:55 AM
77 degrees and you're wearing a shorty? Wow - our water (here at a mile high) never
gets that warm at the warmest - and now it's about 65 degrees.

Will be at Lake Powell next week - where it's still mid-70's ...

I remember last spring (April) I was in Florida - the locals were putting on LONG suits
and the water was 82 degrees. Wow - I guess it's all what you are used to.

Todd

Fman
09-17-2009, 11:29 AM
I got some good news this morning from Roger at SC, the repair has been authorized and they are shipping the part out today. He apologized for the delay, explaining they are running behind. It is nice to know they are backing there product up, as for the 6 hour repair from the dealer not sure how they came up with this.

jonyb
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
The good news is I took the boat out today, the water was incredible, we were the only boat on the entire lake! and the rudder did fine. No spreading of the crack. Had to put my spring suite on, but water temp was still 77 degrees at 7:15 am this morning. It was beautiful on the water this morning, I should have taken some pictures. Complete peace and quiet, you could hear the board cutting through the glass..... I needed that, this is the reason we own these machines.
I really need that too. The only glassy water I've seen all year is in the pics here....

I got some good news this morning from Roger at SC, the repair has been authorized and they are shipping the part out today. He apologized for the delay, explaining they are running behind. It is nice to know they are backing there product up, as for the 6 hour repair from the dealer not sure how they came up with this.
Good to hear... Hopefully they'll have it fixed and nothing else happens.

Fman
09-17-2009, 05:44 PM
77 degrees and you're wearing a shorty? Wow - our water (here at a mile high) never
gets that warm at the warmest - and now it's about 65 degrees.

Will be at Lake Powell next week - where it's still mid-70's ...

I remember last spring (April) I was in Florida - the locals were putting on LONG suits
and the water was 82 degrees. Wow - I guess it's all what you are used to.

Todd

Yea, 77 degrees and in a shorty.... what a lightweight! I guess I was spoiled this year, the water was 84 degrees at Shasta in July.... that was almost to warm, and it was 114 degrees out!

Hope you have fun at Powell, I have never been, hope to make it out there someday. Its a long drive from Nor-Cal.

tg0824SSVGG
09-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Fman,

We had a blast. It's about 11 hours from where we are too - but you should
consider it. It's a little over 500 miles for us - but we have to cross the Rockies
and a couple of nasty passes (over 10,000 feet) towing.

It's about 800 miles for you to where you would come to meet us ...

We will be going next September, about the 3rd week - put it on your calendar.

(no kids on this trip).

After I get the boat unpacked, I will try to get photos of the mounts for you.
Yes, I had to take the Wakeboard racks off - (we rarely use WB's ... I put one back on
if someone goes with us that really needs it).

I put my rack just BELOW the square wakeboard mount - the rack bar seemed straighter
there for me. Keith put his above it.

Todd

Fman
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Todd,

Thats awesome... glad to see you had a great time. Do you have any pics? how was the water conditions? lake level? Maybe someday I will be able to make it out there.

tg0824SSVGG
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
We had great water ... the level is still down about 55 feet from full, but remember, for
the last 4-5 years, it's been closer to down 100 feet - this lake is MASSIVE tho, even
at this level. Water was still at the same level as when I was there in early July - which
is a great sign, normally it would be down this time of year.

We had great water conditions all week except 2 afternoons with BIG wind.

Water was about 74-80 degrees all week - still GREAT - around here, the water reaches
about 74 at the absolute warmest, and is about 62 right now.

Fman
09-29-2009, 01:42 AM
We had great water ... the level is still down about 55 feet from full, but remember, for
the last 4-5 years, it's been closer to down 100 feet - this lake is MASSIVE tho, even
at this level. Water was still at the same level as when I was there in early July - which
is a great sign, normally it would be down this time of year.

We had great water conditions all week except 2 afternoons with BIG wind.

Water was about 74-80 degrees all week - still GREAT - around here, the water reaches
about 74 at the absolute warmest, and is about 62 right now.

That is great, when we went to Shasta in July the water was down about 80 feet, but that lake is also massive. If you ever get the chance to go to Shasta it truly is an impressive and great lake to ski on. I think it has around 365 miles of shoreline at full capacity. The water temp was 83 degrees, almost to hot with 105+ degree weather. I was happy on the 114 degree day, the boat ran well, and no vapor lock issues. I would think if it was going to do it, this would have been a prime moment. I did run the blower all day long.

tg0824SSVGG
09-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Glad it didn't vapor lock! Lake Powell has over 1900 miles of shoreline, but remember,
it's a flooded canyon ...

Lake Powell - more than 400 feet deep, 150 miles long and nearly 2,000 miles of shoreline

http://www.lakepowell.com/media/images/lakepowell/topImg/overview.jpg

This is a classic image of the lake, we don't ever go to this part of it, but
it's all this kind of beauty.

Fman
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Glad it didn't vapor lock! Lake Powell has over 1900 miles of shoreline, but remember,
it's a flooded canyon ...

Lake Powell - more than 400 feet deep, 150 miles long and nearly 2,000 miles of shoreline

http://www.lakepowell.com/media/images/lakepowell/topImg/overview.jpg

This is a classic image of the lake, we don't ever go to this part of it, but
it's all this kind of beauty.

That is incredible, what a huge mass of water..... who knows, maybe next year! I could only hope.....