PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover Ideas

saltare inverts
09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I bought a generic cover which is really nice. Looking for ideas on how to make it high in open bow area and by motor. Water just sits on cover. I want to make something that I can move in and out easily. It has extra slack because of tower. Any ideas?

tg0824SSVGG
09-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Are there no poles? That is how mine stays "high" in those areas - there are poles
under the cover.

(all images from Overtons)
http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/27541_M1.jpg

I also used to use something like this on my old I/O boat (In addition to the Poles)
http://www.overtons.com/assets/images/products/medium/35066_M1.jpg

It wasn't the best, but it did help. I have also seen strap connectors sewn on the
top of the cover, which then have a strap to the tower to hold sections up - but
if those are not already there, not sure how you would get one in there.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM
S_I, I went with a fitted cover from ebay and I don't have poles yet either. When the boat is on the trailer, the cover can be secured tightly with bungees to the trailer. But when the boat is docked overnight at my cabin, I have nothing to bungee the trailer down too. The cover also has a rope around the edge that I can tie in back, but since it doesn't have any kind of cinch it doesn't get very tight. Also the cover is not designed to go around tower legs. I could alter it, but not with tht rope that goes around the perimeter of the cover.

Salty87
09-14-2009, 01:21 PM
i just got a cover from iboats. had it altered at a sail shop to fit around the tower legs....$140. they had it done in 1 day, it started raining when i was putting it on the boat. hasn't rained here in months too, i'll take whatever i can get. ;)

i bought the boat vent II when i got the cover. it's a pole with a vent....cut a small hole in the cover, the vent covers the hole but let's air vent out the top. i haven't installed it yet. it's been raining all weekend, the lake is up 1'....34 more to go, lol.

http://www.boatvent.com/BVII.jpg

the windshield is high enough for my front tent. lower the trailer a little and it runs straight off. the cover came with straps, they're a must.

tg0824SSVGG
09-14-2009, 02:33 PM
and there is a form of that pole that allows you to adjust the height from OUTSIDE,
once the cover is already on and snapped/tied down. I will try to find it ...

tg0824SSVGG
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Here it is - I may have to get some of these, adjusting the pole after the cover is on
is a pain (and yes, when you have KIDS helping uncover the boat, the poles get
"messed with")

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5007-3

http://skidim.com/images/5007-3.jpg

saltare inverts
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I made a similar set up to the straps but I used pvc. It works ok but still puddles in the front. I may try sewing connectors to the tower. I think I can do that if I can find pics that will show hardware they used on previous covers. Does anyone know were I might find pics of that?

mapleleaf
09-17-2009, 06:27 AM
If you search rickr's resto thread he's got a pretty good set up using plastic pipe to boost his boat cover over the cockpit, I found a way to make it work for me and my bow, and no longer have water pooling there...
Tower ties also sound like a good idea......
Then again the ABS pipe with a tennis ball on top worked for me all summer!!

KO1
09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
I use Yoga Balls To hold my covers up they work great and you can add or release air as needed. They will not damage the seats or the carpet. Then you can deflate when not in use.

tg0824SSVGG
09-17-2009, 07:50 AM
Keith, Fantastic idea for the playpen - mine has apole that I have to take the
center seat cushion out to use - hate it. Wanted to figure something
out that wouldn't hurt the seats.

Now - in the main cockpit, I have 2 poles (this is the FACTORY cover, mind you) and
the rear one is right where the back seat is - what do you do in the cockpit area? I would
need 4 foot fit-balls to make it work?

Todd

KO1
09-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Keith, Fantastic idea for the playpen - mine has apole that I have to take the
center seat cushion out to use - hate it. Wanted to figure something
out that wouldn't hurt the seats.

Now - in the main cockpit, I have 2 poles (this is the FACTORY cover, mind you) and
the rear one is right where the back seat is - what do you do in the cockpit area? I would
need 4 foot fit-balls to make it work?

Todd

They have a 4-5 ft ball available at Dick's Sporting Goods. Over inflate it. Or you can move the rear center seat forward and put the ball on that. I have a small cooler that I put in the center of the floor too then I can use a smaller ball. I will try to get pictures.

tg0824SSVGG
09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Keith - ever get those photo's? We just got back from Powell - sure wish you and
BJ would come with us one of these times.....

KO1
09-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Todd we want to get out there sometime soon.