PDA

View Full Version : 1996 supra ts6m comp

foxriverat
09-18-2009, 12:39 PM
New to the forum. Great place. I am thinking about trading my 2002 harley for a 1996 supra ts6m comp closed bow. From the pics and from what he says. The boat looks mint. 5.8 ho gt-40 engine 327 hours. I have been out of skiing for about 3 years. Love to foot and slalom. I owned a 1995 malibu barefooter for 10 years. I had a bud who owned a 89 comp open bow. So I know about the nose dive. And I thought there was something about the spray off the sides. We are meeting sunday for a water test. Just wondering if there is anything I should look for with this boat. Or your opinions on it. Thanks

foxriverat
09-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Here are some pics. Hope this works.

Dinoz
09-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Great looking boat,

I believe the '96 is all fiber glass as well, no more wood in that year, if I'm wrong about that someone can correct me obviously. The two concerns you mentioned (nose dive & spay) really are not bad at all, I have an '89 comp and never have issues with nose dive (submarining), we also ski shortline (32-36 off) and never have an issue with spray either. you'll find the wake to be very comparable to that of newer tow boats, we ski behind a '98 Malibu Sportster as well and it's not that different at all.

Good luck with the purchase!

DZ.

agetech
09-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Looks nice, if you watch what you are doing you won't get any water over the bow. Usually only happens when going back to pick up down skiers. Spray is not an issue. 96 should be all fiberglass. Get it, you'll love it.

foxriverat
09-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Only a few hours before they get here.

foxriverat
09-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Well the boat ran great. Did a few slalom runs behind her. Man was I rusty. So we did make the trade. Only a few minor things need work. Fuel gauge did not work. Jumped the wires and needle jumped to full. So must be the sending unit. Ski pylon was a little loose. Got under there with a cresent wrench and tightened. But after I slalomed. It got a little loose again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a fuel sending unit for a 96 ts6m. Thanks.

jasonba1
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I would call viper customs and tell him you saw it on this site for a discount 865-388-4096 or try skidim.com

mapleleaf
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Skipole has a set of locknuts , once the bolt is tight take a deepsocket over the bolt head and tighten the nut....should take care of the wobble.......
Welcome to the forum....these boats are amazing.....

agetech
09-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Pull the sending unit out of the tank and closely inspect the wires. One of them may have come loose. Speaking from experience.

Ontarion
09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
I have the same boat. Almost the same hours as well. Different graphics and colour and the plate the ECM is mounted on looks different as well; the rest should be the same.
I haven't pulled any carpet but I haven't seen any wood either except the lower engine cover frame. The removable centre section of the floor is definatley fiberglass as are the stringers. The seat frames are all roto moulded poly. Not much to rot.
I have had the odd lapful of water as noted idling back to pick someone up. If the water is cold enough you'll learn to be more careful.
I bought a new sender from Skidim because mine is a little waterlogged. Still haven't gotten around to installing it.
Take a listen to your exhaust to see if it sounds the same on both sides. One of my fiberglass mufflers still had a baffle but the other had been blown away.
Not good to have different backpressure on either side.
The GT40 engine is all balls out. You should be the fastest skiboat around unless the other guy has a GT40 too. I get my jollies taking a bit of air off the wake as I blow by all the guys with their new chevs.
The back seat isn't the dryest place in the world but you don't have to sit there. The gunwales under the rub rail will take on water unless your ambitious enough to seal it up.
Its a small package compared to todays boats but weighs almost the same. Light won't shine through your hull and good things come in small packages.
Welcome to the club. You are going to have fun.:-D

foxriverat
09-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. And I will check out the sites for the sending unit. It was great to be back on the water again.

foxriverat
09-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Ontarion. Or anyone who knows. What the part# for the fuel sending unit from skidim.com. is. I wasnt sure which one. Also. Can you replace it through the inspection cover. Or do you have to pull the tank. Thanks.

Pdowling1
09-26-2009, 12:11 PM
If it is the same as the '95 had, you need to pul the tank forward to get the sending unit out. I was able to repair mine, it was a printed circuit card and some of the tracks had eroded right off the card. I just soldered on jumper wires to replace the missing tracks.

Great boat, I wish I still had my '95. The GT40 will beat most jetskis off the line! Strong enough to hurt a skier if you pull them up too hard. (Don't ask how I know that)

foxriverat
09-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I was able to get mine out through the cover in the storage area. The float was stuck and deteriorating. And I lost the magnet that fell out when I opened it up. Called skidim and after describing what the unit looked like. They said they did not have it. They told me to call Anthony at Supra. Now I am just waiting for the part to come in. Had to order from local dealer.