PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a fat sac

Fman
09-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Has anyone patched up a fat sac? My front center ballast sac has a little abrasion on it, not sure if it is leaking water but I want to throw some type of patch or glue on it to make sure its sealed up.

I was considering vinyl glue but was not sure if there was something better to use on the fat sacs for repair.

Sharpie647
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I used a pool repair kit once. It held up well but I had a pretty ugly patch on the side of the bag.

jzelt
09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Does anyone have issues with their fat sac leaking around the fitting where it goes into the sac? (where it actually meets the sac, not the quick disconnect part). Any ideas on how to seal that? Would 4200 or 5200 work like a caulking?

KO1
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Rubber raft patches work really good.

wotan2525
09-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Does anyone have issues with their fat sac leaking around the fitting where it goes into the sac? (where it actually meets the sac, not the quick disconnect part). Any ideas on how to seal that? Would 4200 or 5200 work like a caulking?

I went through 3 SL launch-pad sacs this year.... all of them burst or split at a seam or right where you are describing. When I contacted them they claimed they had NEVER seen this before (which has to be total bullshit.) Unfortunately, I bought them off of ebay (from an authorized reseller) but his receipt didn't specify the brand and they have denied my warranty claim. I'm pretty pissed but next year I'll be investing in some quality bags instead of this launch-pad junk!

2 of the 3 have also had the spring mechanism in the valve stop working -- so when you unhook the pump it shoots water all over the place. I'm a prettty unhappy customer.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
I also had a launch pad 650lb sac with cooler and wasn't that happy with it. Not many fittings available, and inside it is divided into internal compartments like an infaltable pool matress thingie. It didn't empty well, and the cooler was totally worthless. They were much much thinner walled sacs and I wouldnt use one without the 2nd layer. Never tried their one-layer sacs.

Fly High are way thicker material and people walk or lay on 'em all the time. The fittings are great and many options.

THe new launch pad sumo sacs are probably fine but I'm happy as is. :)

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
How long have you had the bag for? It can probably be replaced under warranty.

I went through 3 SL launch-pad sacs this year.... all of them burst or split at a seam or right where you are describing. When I contacted them they claimed they had NEVER seen this before (which has to be total bullshit.) Unfortunately, I bought them off of ebay (from an authorized reseller) but his receipt didn't specify the brand and they have denied my warranty claim. I'm pretty pissed but next year I'll be investing in some quality bags instead of this launch-pad junk!

2 of the 3 have also had the spring mechanism in the valve stop working -- so when you unhook the pump it shoots water all over the place. I'm a prettty unhappy customer.
Give me a shout when you have a minute, we can get the bags warrantied for you.

jzelt
10-28-2009, 04:15 PM
We are third owner of the boat. I have owned them for 4 weeks. The boat is 2004 and I am guessing they are 2004 as well. I put 5200 around the connector to the bag in hopes that works. Won't be able to know until spring if it worked or not.

I think it was caused by having the bags full and the previous owners not having the working reverse pump would pull the hoses and drain by lifting the back of the bag up in the air, putting the weight on the connector.

jasonwm
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Hopefully that will last, let us know how it works out next spring.