PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ballast bag drain pumps

Fman
09-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Has anyone replaced there RULE 500 GPH drain pump with the Tsunami 800 GPH pump? I am not satisfied with the RULE's, I am still running into problems where they will stop pumping water even if I have lifted the bag to get all the water to the drain tube. I also want to add another 4.5 GPM drain speed with the Tsunamis.

I heard the Tsunami will fit into the bracket that the RULE pump uses, wanted to confirm this before I buy three of them, along with any adaptors that are necessary.

Fman
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Just called wakemakers and they have a solution. They are now screwing the tsunami pumps directly into the drain port in the bag. This makes sense, it will prime much better. For easy removal of the bags, they can still be disconnected with a quick disconnect fitting, and the wiring can be set up to quick disconnect as well. He said the weight of the bag is not creating any problems crushing or breaking the pumps. He has had this setup in his boat for two years with no problems with the 750's in the rear. Malibu uses the RULE pumps for draining on there hard tanks and they are now going to the Tsunamis because of the excessive problems.

I just ordered three of them, he said they are having much better results with this setup. He also mentioned the RULE pumps seem to have a difficult time priming. I also like the fact if a pump goes out it will be simple to replace not having to get behind the engine wall compartment anymore.

I will keep everyone posted on how this works.

KY Steve
09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Post some pics when you get the tsunamis installed.

bbordin
09-30-2009, 08:24 PM
I just screwed an 800gph Tsunami into the drain fitting, I used an oring and a nut snugged down to keep it from leaking, just like the fly high fittings use. It worked good for the 750 in the locker

Fman
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I just finished replacing the Rules with Tsunamis on all 3 bags. I set it up so I have a quick disconnect off the pump so I can remove the bags and still leave the pump in the boat. It is draining much better, I also like the pumps are easily accessible for replacement, they are also no longer in the engine compartment which accumulates a lot of heat. I will try and shoot some pictures this week and post them up.