PDA

View Full Version : missed opportunity?

malibusteve
09-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Hello All,
Not a supra owner here, and despite the name, I no longer own a Malibu in fact, I'm currently boatless. Been around inboards most of my life and have owned CC, Malibu, and parents owned an MC. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy a late 80s Supra Comp "project" boat and trailer for $500 maybe less. Was a complete boat and 99% of the time I would've broken his arm shaking his hand to make that deal. I had some other things on my mind at the time though that distracted me. Had it been an 80s CC 2001, I would've bought it sight unseen for that with the thought that I could part it out and recoup and then some if I had decided not to rehab it. The thing that kept me from buying it is that I didn't know if there was a market for Supra Comp parts of that vintage. I know that eventually I could've recouped my money I just didn't want to be sitting on that stuff for a couple of years. Everything, and I mean everything was there except the prop. Did I miss a deal or would I have just broken even?

michael hunter
09-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Sounds to me like you missed the deal . The trailer would be worth more than 500.

malibusteve
09-24-2009, 07:42 PM
that's what I was thinking too, but it was a project too...needed tires, bearings, the works, but i agree worth $500 even needing that

87SunSportMikeyD
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
It is a true slalom boat but they still have demand. However not as much as the SunSport/Saltare once restored. Parts alone though would be worth $2000 or more.

malibusteve
09-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks Michael and Mikey,
I agree with both of you guys. I originally called on it to buy for a winter project and then when I saw it, kind of nixed that idea b/c of the extent of the work that it needed. Can you guys tell me what if any parts off of that Supra Comp would have broader appeal? Is the windshield the same as for other Supra models of that era? Would the shaft, strut, fins, rudder, steering assembly, pylon, platform, wake plate, gauges or miscellaneous trim be usable for a variety of Supra models? I'm guessing the trailer, seat bases/frames, and engine box would've been pretty much exclusive to the Comp, right? Really kicking myself on this one.

malibusteve
09-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks Michael and Mikey,
I agree with both of you guys. I originally called on it to buy for a winter project and then when I saw it, kind of nixed that idea b/c of the extent of the work that it needed. Can you guys tell me what if any parts off of that Supra Comp would have broader appeal? Is the windshield the same as for other Supra models of that era? Would the shaft, strut, fins, rudder, steering assembly, pylon, platform, wake plate, gauges or miscellaneous trim be usable for a variety of Supra models? I'm guessing the trailer, seat bases/frames, and engine box would've been pretty much exclusive to the Comp as well. Really kicking myself on this one.

87SunSportMikeyD
09-25-2009, 11:07 AM
"Would the shaft, strut, fins, rudder, steering assembly, pylon, platform, wake plate, gauges or miscellaneous trim be usable for a variety of Supra models?"
Yep these are the items you want. Engine parts of course like the Carb.

""I'm guessing the trailer, seat bases/frames, and engine box would've been pretty much exclusive to the Comp, right?"
Yep pretty sure, however someone might buy a seat since they are wood and not a lot of originals around anymore.