PDA

View Full Version : 2002 SSV Engine Trouble..Any Ideas?

widnejr
09-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I have had zero problems out of the engine until yesterday. It runs smooth at idle and at speed; then without warning it will almost shut down because it starts missing so hard. If you throttle all the way down they get back on it hard it will accelerate through the problem; that is until the next time. I am hoping that it is bad plugs or wires but I was going to see if anyone had any other ideas. Oh yeah one more thing is it seems to be smoking now, which it has never done. I did fill up right before we went out but I would think that if I had filled it with some bad gas then it would not run good for any period of time.

Thansk,

JW

KO1
09-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter?? There may be some trash or a clog of some sort. That would be the first thing I checked/Changed. That would be the cheapest/quickest fix. You may get lucky.

widnejr
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
OK, so I changed she spark plugs, and I was going to change the wires but the ones I got from AutoZone did not fit right so I put the origional Indmar wires back on. Took it out on the water and 2 minutes into my set the boat pretty much died again. My next plan of attack is to change the plug wires and fuel filter and if that don't work I guess I will go with changing out the fuel pump. It seems to be more of a fuel issue because it seems like it may be getting too much fuel because it started smoking getting out of the hole and while running at speed. Oh the joys of boat ownership.

jaywidhalm
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure of the set-up you have, but is it possible you got a little water in the fuel? Some boats have a water seperator as well as a fuel filter, some are integrated in with the fuel filter. I have seen similar problems with watercraft, etc. As soon as I pulled the plugs, used a lighter to evaporate any water, and dumped a little "heat" in the gas tank, it cleared up the issue. Even when I changed the plugs, it resolved the issue for about 2 minutes, then right back to square one. I put a flame under the plugs for about 30 seconds, and turned the motor over a few times with the plugs out to blow any water out, and it fixed it. Just water!! Sounds similar to what yours is doing.