PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Bag Replacement

Skylar18
09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Because of the drought and how low our lake is, our season ended much earlier than normal. The good news is it gives me more time to "add" things to the boat this off season. Since some of our riders are starting to move into Surfing, I wanted to add the bigger ballast bags to the boat.

I have a 2007 Sunsport 22V with 400 lb bags in the back. I am assuming the 750 lb bags fit in just fine. My question is I am not the most mechanical guy and can turn a 20 minute project into 4 hours because I usually break something because of my lack of patience.

How easy is it to replace these bags? Are the fittings universal. Is it just plug and play?

Thanks

tg0824SSVGG
10-01-2009, 08:11 AM
my "guess" is that these would swap in just fine:

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-gravity-games-rear-sac.html

(They would on my boat anyway) - I have heard good things about the
guys at wakemakers - I suggest you call and ask them these questions - they
should know for sure.

Do you have the Gravity Edition bags in that boat? (mine does)

(Except I notice that is only a 565lb bag - not 750 like you asked about)

87SunSportMikeyD
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
If you have flyhigh prox sacs now it is plug and play

Fman
10-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Because of the drought and how low our lake is, our season ended much earlier than normal. The good news is it gives me more time to "add" things to the boat this off season. Since some of our riders are starting to move into Surfing, I wanted to add the bigger ballast bags to the boat.

I have a 2007 Sunsport 22V with 400 lb bags in the back. I am assuming the 750 lb bags fit in just fine. My question is I am not the most mechanical guy and can turn a 20 minute project into 4 hours because I usually break something because of my lack of patience.

How easy is it to replace these bags? Are the fittings universal. Is it just plug and play?

Thanks

I have the 750's in my '08 Sunsport 22V, they fit fine, and yes they are a plug and play. I would recommend adding vent lines, they tend to fill up with air. Even with the 750's full I have enough room for vests and ropes in the ski lockers.

Skylar18
10-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks Fman.

That was my next question.

venom93corba
10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Fman when you added your 750's did you have to do anything with your FILL HOSE? The 750's have to be alot higher, I just wasn't sure if the hose would stretch?

Fman
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Fman when you added your 750's did you have to do anything with your FILL HOSE? The 750's have to be alot higher, I just wasn't sure if the hose would stretch?

Yes, you will need to extend them or else you risk the bags pulling the fitting off the hose. I ran about an extra 18" of the flex line with a double male barbed fitting. Cost was about $10.

If you use worm drive hose clamps I recommend wrapping them in some type of tape to help avoid damaging the bags. They are not too sharp but definitely worth the extra security to avoid puncturing a bag. I am still searching for a good tape that is black in color and will withstand the heat in the summer.

venom93corba
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Do they make anything for an extension? You have any pics of what you did? Sounds kind of tough.

tg0824SSVGG
10-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Look here for his pictures:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?t=4940

Fman
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Do they make anything for an extension? You have any pics of what you did? Sounds kind of tough.

It is very simple, cut the old fitting off, and use a double male barbed 3/4" plastic fitting to attach the two lines together. You can find them at your local hardware store. You need some lube to thread them onto the fitting, then finish them off with a hose clamp and wrap the clamps in some type of tape to protect the bags.

venom93corba
10-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I called wakemakers.com yesterday and they said the 2k9 was redesigned so now the bottom hose is now the drain/fill line and the top one is vent line (which has plenty of slack to go to the top of of 750).

The only thing I'd have to change is the fill plug on the new bag because it comes with a 3/4 plug and the 2k9's use a 1 inch plug.

jzelt
10-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Does it matter whether the top plug is drain or fill on any of them? Our bags have been moved around. It makes sense that the drain would be on the bottom and fill on top, but I could also see the fill being on the bottom so that it pushes the air to the top.

jzelt
10-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Found the answer to my question on drain holes. PDF Manual says drain on bottom, fill is on top.

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I called wakemakers.com yesterday and they said the 2k9 was redesigned so now the bottom hose is now the drain/fill line and the top one is vent line (which has plenty of slack to go to the top of of 750).

The only thing I'd have to change is the fill plug on the new bag because it comes with a 3/4 plug and the 2k9's use a 1 inch plug.
It was great talking with you the other day. Fly High has stopped including the W736 3/4" Quick Connect on the Gravity Games bags to make swapping bags in the '09+ boats easier. You just need to order the correct fittings for your year:

2008 and older: 2x W736
2009 and newer: 1x W736, 1x W743

On the 22SSV and up the Fat Sacs work great in the rear locker and leave a little space left on top for storage. The 21 can fit a Fat Sac but it will completely fill the rear locker.

Does it matter whether the top plug is drain or fill on any of them? Our bags have been moved around. It makes sense that the drain would be on the bottom and fill on top, but I could also see the fill being on the bottom so that it pushes the air to the top.
The air will always rise to the top of the bag because it's less dense than water so that's not a concern.

On 2008 and older boats adding a vent connection to the bag will get you a noticeable increase in capacity, especially for the center bag.

Skylar18
10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that info Jason. I am about to order my bags for my 2007.

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks for that info Jason. I am about to order my bags for my 2007.
Looking forward to your business Skyler, let me know if you have any questions!

21vGravityCustom
10-27-2009, 09:27 PM
I would consider custom bags for your boat. I just posted how well the 750s worked in my 21v, however my neighbor has an 08 Sunsport 22 and we take turns on Sunday mornings have a boys day out. I let him put my 750s in his boat and you need more. They actually fit my compartment perfect on the 21v however there is lots of room left over in the 22 compartment. We actually made a template for his boat and he'll be ordering later this fall. Long story short, we figured by cubic inches that he can put almost 1200 lbs in that corner going with a custom. As far as the connections, it's all up to how generous they were with the tubing that day. I rerouted mine and actually made them a bit shorter, however they didn't reach they way the were routed from the factory. If your anything like us, you'll want a hose that is not spliced and looks goods. The wakemaker guys can help with that too. Good Luck!

jasonwm
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Dave-

Have your buddy get in touch with me if he's interested in a deal on his bags. We're always looking for more dimensions for boats.

21vGravityCustom
10-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Yep - wouldn't have it any other way ! We'll be in touch in a couple weeks after cleaning up and winterizing, then we'll ship the template over.

Skylar18
10-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey Dave,

I like the idea of even more weight back there but I really need the storage room as well. We keep the boat at a marina and that is where the covers, wakeskates, ropes, float for the wife, 3 person tube (we use that when everyone else is out there tubing and we can't board or skate anymore), and the front middle seat cusion when I don't have it configured like a play pen go.

The extra weight would be nice however......

21vGravityCustom
10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Storage is always an issue. I am lucky however, even though I have 750s in each corner, i have never used the one on the drivers side since we are all right handed and standard stance (surfing) I use that one for all the shoes, vests, etc. If you are using the 750s or custom to skate or board behind then obviously both sides come into play. I kept my factory 400s for boarding and hot swap them based on what we are doing. 750s in the 21v are too much for wakeboarding and guessing at the weight setup by not filling all the way is a waste of time for consistency. I can tell you that even with the 750s in your boat there will no be much overall room left for storage and that the bags my buddy will be ordering are a little wider at the top (26"-ish if I remember the template right) and also run under the seat like your factory bag does today to gain that little extra. The 750's are 20x20x50 so take a look at what you'll have left over.

docdrs
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Just found out a new bag is coming.....An 1100 lb jumbo 50x24x24 wooo hoooo.......wakeplaces should have them in a week or 3

go big or go home:)

87SunSportMikeyD
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM
DUDE 1200 in one corner totally hidden for surfing??? That is amazing!! Lots of boats on ww.com have sacs everywhere for surfing. Post that up with pics! NJ!