PDA

View Full Version : 99 Supra Running Rough!!!!

trtapper
10-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi,

Have owned my 99 Supra Launch for a month or so now and when you hammer it to get someone up on the wakeboard it cuts out and the engine dies. Boat has 150 hours on it and I recently had the transmission flushed by the dealer. I've changed the spark plugs and wires and the fuel filter. It also won't run wide open. I sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and tried to clean out the flame arrestor. Anyone with similiar problems and what did you do to fix the problem? Also the gauges all of a sudden stopped working the second time I took the boat out and I'm not sure where the fuses are located.

I'm planning on working on the boat a couple days from now so time is of the essence. Any ideas would definitely help and also if anyone has a manual for a 99 Supra Launch please email it to me. [email protected]

thanks!!!

michael hunter
10-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Trapper

Start with checking all pos and neg connections at the battery and engine. Check the charging system. Check the fuel pressure. Does it have electronic ign?

trtapper
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Michal,

THanks for the advice. I just applied anti-corrosive grease to the battery connections. How would I check the charging system? The boat runs all day, no problem and as long as you don't give it full throttle it it's still usable wakeboarding, etc. How do you check the fuel system? It's got a carb, no fuel injection. The flame arrestor is still pretty nasty. I'm going to soak it in carb cleaner and blow it with a compressor. If you have any more suggestions I'm working on the boat Sunday. A buddy of mine is going to do a carb rebuild for me then as well.

michael hunter
10-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Tapper

What does your volt gauge read it should be at 13.5 volts minimum. When it stalls is it immediate when you accelerate or does it feel like your running out of gas. Can your buddy check the fuel pump? Does it have points ignition?

OUI
10-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Two things come to mind. Your advance mechanism is sticking, or the vent on your gas tank is clogged. Try spraying WD-40 in the distributor vent holes, from there make sure your vent isn't clogged

trtapper
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. As for the volt gauge, none of the gauges work at this point. I believe it's a blown fuse because sometimes the gauges will work if the gauge lights are on. It immediately stalls when you punch it or if you try to run it full speed it starts to slow down. I'm pretty sure me and my buddy can check the fuel pump. No idea about the points ignition. I'm not familiar with an advance mechanism but as for the gas tank vent I can check that. Where are the distributor vent holes located? I will check a few things, hopefully this will fix the problems. Anything else anyone suggests will help. Thanks.

Travis

trtapper
10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I also forgot to mention, the boat only cuts out when it's under a load. In neutral you can rev the engine with no cutting out or any problems. It's only when it's in drive that the boat wants to cut out. Hope this helps. Thanks everyone.

mapleleaf
10-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Just a rookie at this, but I had a similar problem this spring and it cleared itself after a fuel filter, points and distributer cap.....I was only having trouble under load as well. Hopefully you have a points ignition, cheap quick repair......Would at least help with the process of elimination........

tre
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I also had a 99 Supra Launch. Replace the rotor and cap. Also check the low pressure fuel pump. There are two wires connected to the low pressure pump and mine came a little loose and caused the exact problem you describe. I tightened the crimp on the wire connections and the problem went away.