PDA

View Full Version : Time to pull the boat

chautauquasun
10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Going up to pull the boat out this weekend and begin the rebuild so that it is ready for next year. Seems like it took me most of the summer to get it a point where she was running well and reliable. Thought maybe I would get use out of her this weekend...but looks like a high of 56 and rain in Upstate Ny. So looks like it will be a quick trip the ramp and thats it.

I will keep you updated with new pics of rebuild process. Took me most of the summer to make the decision to keep the boat and rebuild her. But I am excited about starting the process and look forward to next spring when I hope she is ready to go into the water.

I hope everybody had a good summer. It is over here in Western Pa/Western NY. Seems like it goes way to fast. Maybe I need to move to AZ.

Hope all is well with everybody.

I promise to post pics of my projects and progress. Wish me luck.

Blackntan90
10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I have been debating on winterizing early this year myself. Work is very busy(thats good and bad) and it's getting cooler. Went ouut last weekend for a couple of hours and drained the block when we got it back on the trailer... so I'm sort of ready to go either way. As I was pulliing the left side block drain I noticed some yellowish fluid on the block at the rear, so I discovered that my valve cover is leaking oil! Looks like there is no easy way to fix it... the exhaust manifold has got to come off! So I guess I will start to soak the bolts with penetrant hoping they dont break! Good luck on your project and I am sure it will be fun... or at least a learning experience!!

mapleleaf
10-01-2009, 08:06 PM
BnT I'm in the same boat with the valve covers.....not to excited about getting those manifolds off, let us know how it goes and what worked...

Chautaque's I spent the weekend outside Warren, Pa. Talk about scenic. We were about a mile from the Alleghany Resevoir, but weather wasn't suitable for the boat, will definitely be back next year, friends have a cabin beside the Red Oaks Campground, pretty awesome dirt bike trails!!!!!!

dshaff24
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1329/6245701/22345274/375215803.jpg

I don't like this time of the year either !! Just got my wakeskate board in and board racks ain the mail and I had to yank it from the lake!!

First time winterizing a inboard! any lil tricks? or secrets to preventing issues? I always had i/o's

mapleleaf
10-02-2009, 05:23 AM
Along with all the freeze plug removal, this year I'm pulling the impellor and housing and keeping them inside all toasty. I think this was a tip from Micheal Hunter......

michael hunter
10-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Maple
Why are you removing the freeze plugs?

87SunSportMikeyD
10-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Last year was our first winterizing an inboard. It was pretty dang simple, but took about an hour. I have heard about quick drain kits but I dont know much about them...?

Oh and I am getting a strange, loud noise while accelerating. My dad thinks it could be something loose inside the valve cover so we will be looking there too, eventually. Whoever tackles that first, please start a thread with pics! :)

chautauquasun
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
BnT I'm in the same boat with the valve covers.....not to excited about getting those manifolds off, let us know how it goes and what worked...

Chautaque's I spent the weekend outside Warren, Pa. Talk about scenic. We were about a mile from the Alleghany Resevoir, but weather wasn't suitable for the boat, will definitely be back next year, friends have a cabin beside the Red Oaks Campground, pretty awesome dirt bike trails!!!!!!

Maple

No way...such a small world. I live in Pittsburgh but grew up in Warren Pa...about 10 minutes from the Kinzua Dam/Allegheny Resevoir. It is beautiful there..and if you get the chance to bring you boat down next year you will find that the resevoir is a fantastic place to ski and wakeboard. It is extremely calm and like glass most of the time. Chautauqua is rarely glassy unless you get up early. Heck...if you get back their next year let me know. I will bring my boat down and we can have a mini Supra Reunion. Still have a lot of friends in Warren that have houseboats and pontoon boats. You can rent houseboats there too.

I havent been there in a long time...but it is an awesome place for camping, boating, atvs and hunting. I will be up that way soon for deer season.

Glad you got to see my part of the world.

Funny whenever I say I am from Warren...the usual response is...oh yeah I/my buddy has a hunting camp there.

Dan

mapleleaf
10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Micheal, think I have the terminology wrong, I was referring to the plugs at the back of the manifold's.......
Last year we removed all the drain plugs from the motor and that was it, this I think the impellor comes out, as well I'll be keeping the boat in Toronto, so there'll some other engine work, valve cover gaskets, fix a cracked manifold or replace depending on crack size......
Chautaqua, it was too windy believe it or not on the Res. we went and looked at the boat launch named something Hollow, steep hill down to it, pretty sure it's a the top of the Resevoir, can't wait to get my boat there, the water was easily warmer than the air there last weekend...BTW we got stopped on a hunting trail and told that deer season opened Oct. 1 and we wouldn't want to be back there on the dirt bikes!!!!! I was thinking no kidding.....

John

Okie Boarder
10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Get a thread going with pics. Maybe you and I can "race" each other to see who gets completed first ;-)

chautauquasun
10-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Maple/Okie/Supra Nation

Yeah probably either muzzleloader or archery starts october 1st. Rifle season stats the Monday after Thanksgiving. You definitely don't want to be out there on an ATV then. First day is crazy....and can be kind of dangerous depending on where you are. Lots of hunters just there for the day...and I have been told a lot of drinking and card playing the night before :-).

Okie...well i ran into a little snag. The guy I thought was going to help me with the floor and stringers may not be what I am looking for. I am not confident that he can do what he says he can do in the time. We will see. I am going to look at my options

Had the boat out yesterday! It was cold, a little rough and a little rainy...but the boat ran
awesome. Figures the day I am pulling it. Can't wait for next season when I have done the necessary repairs.

Quick question to those of you, probably all of you using bunk trailers. I took out my dads I/O yesterday on a roller trailer. It goes on so easy and lines up perfectly every time no matter of rough and windy it is. The rollers keep the boat lined up perfectly. Mine has the bunks and with some wind and rough water mine moves around and it is difficult to keep it perfectly aligned when pulling it out. Took me two tries and required me to get wet to get it centered on the trailer. Granted it was an extremely windy and rough day but it should be easier. Mine has the guides on the back...but does have the vertical bunk boards on the sides. Do the vertical bunk boards keep the back of the boat alligned better?

thanks

Dan

Blackntan90
10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Dan, the side boards must not be too close to the boat when loaded, the widest part of the beam is at or near the windshield. Next time, try dunking the trailer all the way in so that the entire length of the bunk gets wet,then pull forward until the fender is a couple of inches out of the water. This is how I have been doing it for a couple of years now, and with some adjustments to how far in/out the fenders are depending on the steepness of the ramp it works great. To bad I have a new(to me) tow vehicle and now it's time for winter maint. and repairs so I could only tow it once!

jaywidhalm
10-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Dan, I have had both types of trailers as well. Roller style always goes off and on easier than bunk, but do not give the support on your hull when traveling like a bunk does. When windy, you may have to have your trailer a little shallower, to guide the boat on straight. The down fall is that you may have to use the winch a little more to get it all the way on, rather than power load, and take the chance of washing out the ramp. I usually have the top of my trailer fenders barely under water when loading. This of course will vary though depending on how steep the ramp is. It can be frustrating when loading, but I think bunk trailers are the better way to go.

wotan2525
10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow... this sucks! I was hoping to get another week of surfing in but the water has gone from:

9/23 - 73F
9/27 - 68F
9/30 - 56F
10/7 - 51F

Too cold for me without a wetsuit (which I don't have.)

It's also been far too cold and rainy to get an winterizing done. I'm hoping for another (somewhat) nice day to get the boat all cleaned up and winterized. It's a time of year I don't look forward to even though I have my procedure down pat.

chautauquasun
10-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try them out next year. The trailer I bought for my Rider was for a Pirata so it is a little big. I have used bunk trailers in the past but seem to be having move trouble with this one. I have it on straight but took me two tries and me getting wet.

Wotan I hear you on the water temp. Not sure what it was on chautauqua in upstate NY on saturday but do know it was taking my breath away when I was in over my chest. That's the resaon for asking for the bunk trailer advice. :-)

87SunSportMikeyD
10-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Roller trailers are ok, but you do a lot of cranking and the boat rides high on the trailer whereas inboard trailers cradle the boat a lot more and it's much lower to the ground (less tippy).

The trick for loading is to dunk the trailer all the way in, then pull out till you can see about a foot of the bunks. This way you are out enough that you get centered, then you power load gently and either power into the boat buddy clip or crank the last 6" only. Should always be straight if you can get between the guides.

chautauquasun
10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks Mikey

Attached are some pics of the boat on the trailer. I agree that normally when you see these supras they are down in the wheel wells...my rides a little higher. Again this trailer was for a Pirata but i would think the the ride heigth would be the same. the supports on the bunks a welded so If I wanted to have it ride lower I would have to cut them down.

Sad to see it on the trailer.

RED WINE ROCKER
10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Uhh.....(Lake lanier-locals/GA.) try to keep it going till new years day ski( which usally hurts cause we a little hung over) then 2-3 months off.....drove over the lake today looks sweeeet!

So, I guess i'm sayin'................kissmyass!:D:D;-)

jzelt
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Chautauqua, I agree and understand what you are saying. We tried loading like our I/O and couldn't get it to go on. Like everyone says, 3 inches of fender out of the water and have more bunks showing. Allows our bow to get up high enough to buddy clip. We went on Sunday and did it 3 times with different depths of trailer and found this was the best to get it on.

mapleleaf
10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Uhh.....(Lake lanier-locals/GA.) try to keep it going till new years day ski( which usally hurts cause we a little hung over) then 2-3 months off.....drove over the lake today looks sweeeet!

Somebody always has to be the smart*ss....LOL
Thanks for pointing that out, didn't notice any invitations??????

Dan, the boat looks great on the trailer, great looking condition on the trailer as well........

chautauquasun
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Nice...I used to live in Knoxville and really miss that weather...although it still has to be cold there on New Years...send pics so we can live vicariously through you.

RED WINE ROCKER
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah it takes a dry suit/ but i swear....you cannot feel a thing....actually get over-heated.....the driver is the one who suffers!

chautauquasun
10-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Chautauqua, I agree and understand what you are saying. We tried loading like our I/O and couldn't get it to go on. Like everyone says, 3 inches of fender out of the water and have more bunks showing. Allows our bow to get up high enough to buddy clip. We went on Sunday and did it 3 times with different depths of trailer and found this was the best to get it on.

As you can see in my pictures the boat still sits a little more forward on the trailer than I would like. Again...the trailer is for a bigger boat. I have the winch post set back as far as possible. Any ideas on if there are winch posts that my extend backward further...maybe an arm that you mount the bow guide on that extends backwards about 4-5 inches?

Its not a huge deal but if possible I would like to center the weight over the wheels a little more.

Any thoughts?

mapleleaf
10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I think a 3" X 3" box welded up by a metal shop or a 3" box tube cut would be the perfect economical extension to the bow guide on the trailer, at least that would be a start to see if 3" was enough, maybe 4"would be better??
Just before you go moving that winch leg permanently.....
Is that trailer made be Eagle?????? the fenders look famaliar.....

jaywidhalm
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Just make sure moving the boat back 3-5 inches still allows plenty of tounge weight. If this gets to light the trailer will start to sway when rolling down the road, and could end in disaster.

abehrens
10-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Valve covers are not too tough. Just take your time with the manifold bolts.

Don't try using allen wrenches on the manifold bolts, get a set of allen type sockets. You'll need em.

Also, don't separate the riser from the rest of the manifold. Just leave it in 1 piece if that gasket's in good shape.

If you break any of the manifold bolts, don't worry about it, keep going and get all the rest out and remove the manifold. Then you can use an extractor set to remove what's left of the old manifold bolt.
Also, Autozone sells replacement bolts, take one of your old ones along to compare. I think I ended up getting one slightly longer than the original but it still worked.

Valve covers are straight forward, remove them and clean any RTV off of the covers and the heads, making sure nothing falls down into the heads.

Reinstall with new gaskets and sealer. I used RTV Blue. Make sure you tighten the valve covers VERY lightly. I believe the manual calls for 4-7 ft/lbs.

Here's a before pic. What a mess
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~abehrens/before.jpg

Using the Extractor
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~abehrens/extract2.jpg

After
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~abehrens/vclt.jpg

Manifolds reinstalled
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~abehrens/manifold.jpg

Make sure to spray some high temp paint on those manifolds and valve covers while they're off. You'll be glad you did.

If you do paint, be prepared for a little smoke from the painted parts the first time you start the engine. It's normal burn-off.

mapleleaf
10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Just make sure moving the boat back 3-5 inches still allows plenty of tounge weight. If this gets to light the trailer will start to sway when rolling down the road, and could end in disaster.

This is a really good point, tongue weight is prolly the most important thing. I had forgotten, perhaps you could shorten up the bunks at the rear of the trailer so your speedo pitot's are a little safer.......Either that or try moving the boat backwards on the trailer and add some weight to the front of it...Steel plate or something??

Blackntan90
10-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry chat, this feels like 2 threads in 1! Abehrens, nice work and great pic's! Was up waxing the boat for the winter storage(argh!!) the other day, and looking at the valve covers I think I can sneak a snap-on swivel socket in there without removing the manifolds- but I might be wrong!! Worth a try anyway, and if not I do have a set of allen sockets!

87SunSportMikeyD
10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Abehrens thanks a ton man that is a real helper you should start a new thread on that topic! It got down to 29degf here in Minneapolis last night, I was a little worried. I guess today I will winterize. Brrr...

tg0824SSVGG
10-10-2009, 02:55 PM
14 degrees this AM, 3 inches of snow ... yuck

chautauquasun
10-11-2009, 11:23 PM
This is a really good point, tongue weight is prolly the most important thing. I had forgotten, perhaps you could shorten up the bunks at the rear of the trailer so your speedo pitot's are a little safer.......Either that or try moving the boat backwards on the trailer and add some weight to the front of it...Steel plate or something??

Yes...very good point about the tongue weight. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. speaking of the speedo pitots...mine will rotate. You have to pull them out a bit and turn them. However during the last pull out...I wasnt being careful and pulled the cable/cable cover out of the pitot. Is this hard to fix? I didn't have time to look at it very closely. There looks to be a brass crimp type fastner on the end of the cable that seperated from the pitot. Anyone have any experience with this?