PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal on '05 22ssv

Nate54SoCal
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey all,
my buddy got me hooked this past summer on wakeboarding and I'm looking to buy the first boat. I have it narrowed it down to a few boats and I'm looking for some feedback. I found an 05 22ssv w/100hrs on it, all the standard stuff for 28K. You guys think this is a good deal or should I wait a little longer? I've also found an '06 21v for about the same price. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Or if you've got something comparable, I'm in the market. thanks in advance.
Cheers,
nate

jzelt
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a good deal with a trailer. We got our 2004 for 30K with options. I believe if you are going to use it, it is worth every penny and then some. If they are asking that, I typically go 5K less and then work up from there. Good luck as I am sure you will love it.

Nate54SoCal
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
The guy started at 33K and has slowly been working down. Plus, I'm currently out of the country for four months and he said he'd store it the whole winter until i pick it up. I want to think it's a good deal, but then again when you have the bug, you can't wait to get something. thanks for the input.

mapleleaf
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Gotta watch that bug Nate, it gets me everytime.......
happy hunting these Supra's are incredible.......

KO1
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Nate the 22 or the 21 will be great boats they are both nice and roomy. I have the 21V and love it and a buddy has a 22SSV and they are very similar. Either way you will be happy.

Nate54SoCal
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, damn the bug. I guess the biggest thing between the two is seating. the 22 for being 6 inches longer (sts), has a max cap of 10. Whereas the 21 has room for 13. In your guys' experience, does this even make a difference? I doubt I will ever have 10 in the boat, let alone 13, but you are the most popular guy on the block. thoughts?

tg0824SSVGG
10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
To me it sort of depends on where you ride, and the conditions. I like a bigger
boat because I ride in water that can get UGLY in the weather, and the bigger boat
does better in rough water.

If all you ever have is glass, then I don't think it's that big of a difference.

Are you planning to store this in your garage? Which one might fit into that space
better?

What is your tow vehicle? If it's not big enough, then consider that as well.

jzelt
10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Is the seating arrangement similar? Looking at '04, the V has the engine in the middle and the SSV has the engine under the swim deck. Some things to think about if the V is in the middle.

You may be able to fit 13 people, but if you are pulling someone skiing from the pole in front of the motor, you lose the rear seat capacity (unless someone wants to be decapitated. Our SSV, the pole is just in front of the sun deck, so it doesn't affect anyone. Plus, with the stadium seating, I love the configuration.

(Are you really going to miss having 3 more bikini's in the boat when you can still have 9 others)?

KO1
10-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Is the seating arrangement similar? Looking at '04, the V has the engine in the middle and the SSV has the engine under the swim deck. Some things to think about if the V is in the middle.

You may be able to fit 13 people, but if you are pulling someone skiing from the pole in front of the motor, you lose the rear seat capacity (unless someone wants to be decapitated. Our SSV, the pole is just in front of the sun deck, so it doesn't affect anyone. Plus, with the stadium seating, I love the configuration.

(Are you really going to miss having 3 more bikini's in the boat when you can still have 9 others)?

The 21V is a V-Drive which means the engine is in the back same as the SSV. Both should be V-Drives. The direct drive boats have the engine "in the middle"

I don't know if that SSV year model has the rear facing seat behind the drivers seat. If it does that may be the biggest difference.

Nate54SoCal
10-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Both boats are v-drive with the wrap around seating. There are very few differences between the two. Both have 3 bag ballast, pp, etc. But the 04 has 260 hrs and can seat 13, whereas the 05 has 100 hrs and can only seat 10. The 05 is going for 28K and I could probably get the 04 down to around 26/27K or so. It should be a no brainer, but there's the old saying that a happy boat is a boat that's getting ran. I have a concern that the 05 may have been sitting a little too much.

And to answer the size question, both are too big to fit in my garage, so I'll keep them during the season and in storage during the winter.

I solved the first problem of towing last year, bought an 06 nissan armada le. Now I just need something to tow behind it.

jzelt
10-07-2009, 02:23 PM
If both have exact same motor/prop/options, I don't think you can go wrong in either one. Does one have a different color that matches your tow vehicle better? Again, new owner myself (3 weeks now) and don't want to put it away, if both test ride good and no extreme issues (check engine oil/transmission fluid/drive oil for water after run). I'd go for the bigger boat personally.

RED WINE ROCKER
10-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I think the 21 has high sides which makes for drier ride...Ive a 21 and absolutley no complaints.....Ive seen the 22 but i'm a little confused about the capacity seating:confused:

It looks a little more racey with the laid back windshield/tower but it also cost more money( new)....which is why i own a 21!

Honestly dude/nice problem to have....good luck.

ps: Deals usally get sweeter around boat show time.

Nate54SoCal
10-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah they're both the same option wise. One has a couple more tower speakers, but more hours. Not a big issue.

From what I can tell, the deal with the seating is the 21v has wrap around seating that doesn't move. With the 22, the took out the seating right on the right wall(behind the driver), so you could move the seating around or something. Does anyone with a 22 know anything about this?

Here's the next question/statement. I understand why people would like a boat that matches their tow vehicle, but is it really a selling point? I've talked to a couple boat dealers and they ask that question. I can understand if you have the option of two exact boats and all you have to do is pick a color, but is it that big of an issue when selecting a used boat?

RedWine - I keep hearing boat prices traditionally goes down about 1K/month during the winter and begin to go back up in march time frame. I guess the question remains, the guy is already down 5K from his original price, is it going to go much further?

Sluggo
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I have a 2005 22 SSV Gravity Games. The rear bench can slide forward a foot or two and then you install two brackets that you have to store somewhere in the boat that allow you to use the side seat cushion as a seat back for the rear bench. The idea is that now you can have more people facing directly backward. Very nice idea in theory and the way that the seating moves around in the boat is a good design, but not very practical. When I bought the boat in 06, I insisted they order the brackets since they were not with the boat. They came in and made sure they worked. Have not used them since and not sure I know exactly where they are, lol.

RED WINE ROCKER
10-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Nate,
I guess what I'm sayin' is "more" deals start to pop up around boat show time....you are not in a hurry so keep an eye out for "whatever"....they guy is offering a good deal on a nice boat (cool).....but why is he offering a good deal....will he need the money even worse in Dec.?

Speakers & candy like that should be way down your list of whats important....hows the hull, the engine, salt water of fresh, maintenance records, trailer ?.....color?/who cares ( as long as its attaractive to you)....but i will admit i bought a black truck to go with my black boat.

Lot of money.....take your time.....unless the deal is great then quit dickin' around!

post pics when your done.......cya

jzelt
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Agree with Sluggo. When we demo rode, we saw how the seat can be moved around and I have done it just to learn/get access to the v drive. We set up the backrest and the fact that the person on either side of the "new" seat doesn't have much back support, like they would if leaving the bench seat alone, not sure how much it will get used. May be nice if we have someone to take videos though. Heads/people won't be in the way. Will try it at least once.

Nate54SoCal
10-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Gents,
thanks for all the inputs. From what I gather, the seating thing is nice in theory, but then again, many things are nice in theory. To answer the rest of the questions. He says he's selling because he wants to build a house and he doesn't use it as often as he'd like(which is why there aren't many hours). There's nothing wrong with the boat and I have good piece of mind with our agreement. Do I think he'll want to sell it more in a couple months? Maybe, but I don't think he's going to come down much more on the price and I honestly feel 28K is a fair price for the boat (as compared to people trying to sell the same boat for 38-40K. The only thing I've found wrong with the boat is the trailer is dusty and the engine is dusty, but he lives in the country down a dirt road so I can understand why and these can be easily fixed with a bath. The hull and everything else looks to be in good shape. I tried to add some pics, so let's see if it works. Tell me what you think. Did I mention he's throwing in boards/jackets/everything I need besides 9 scantily clad women in bikinis? But maybe I should ask if he can supply that last one. . . .

Sluggo
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Two things I noticed from pictures. Hull looks yellow compared to top deck. Has it been stored in the lake for any period of time? I recall folks here saying they have had nothing but problems with their gelcoat if left in the water for any length of time. Second thing is the mounting of the speakers on the tower. Are they stock Roswell cans with Kenwoods in them? Mine are mounted a little more forward but I have the 4 speaker and light bar combo. Those look like they are pointed into the sky, but might be adjusted so that when pulling they are directed at the skier?

Nate54SoCal
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
sluggo,
you really think it looks yellow? I tried to see it, but I couldn't pick it up. I looked on the other pictures I have as well and can't see a difference. Maybe I don't have the calibrated eyeball. It's stored in a garage, according to the seller. The thing with the tower speakers, I'm not really sure. But I have seen others that have the same cans and they are look the exact same, tilted upward and all. Weird stuff.

KO1
10-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Nate I think it looks great!!! I have had my boat in some lakes the will discolor the hull in a couple of hours. It's no big deal they make hull cleaner. I personally can't see anything color variations in the pictures. As far as the speakers they may have a flat mount. They look fine to me.

Nate54SoCal
10-09-2009, 12:06 PM
thanks KO1. I was trying to pick it up, but thought maybe my eyes are going bad after catching too many edges or something. I couldn't find much about the speakers being tilted yet, but i'm looking.

Sluggo
10-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Sorry, realized that last post was kind of negative. I was just trying to point out what I saw from the pictures to possibly help you decide between boats. Maybe it is the picture, but I definately see a difference between the white gelcoat above the rail and below. Again, as KO1 said, nothing hull cleaner and some elbow grease can't fix. Given what I paid for mine, and what I can see from the pictures, I would agree that 28k is a steal.

As far as speakers, I guess the big question is are they stock or add on's? We know generally what came stock on these, but if the current owner put these on, then there might be a chance he did better than stock or maybe worse. I have seen quite a few pics of stock Supra towers and this is the first that had the speakers mounted that way. Again, just my experience of what I personally have seen over the last couple of years. And again, even if it had a transitor radio, still a steal at 28k, lol.

Dave

jzelt
10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Looks good. What may be thowing the speaker up/off could be camera angle or the bimini. (may need to be angled for the top to fit closed?) We don't have the bimini on ours yet, but probably looking to have one for spring. Suggest taking for a ride. Look at/fill wake bags. Verify pumps work, etc.