PDA

View Full Version : Towel warmer

Fman
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I am getting my winter to-do list ready for the boat, while on the lake yesterday and the weather getting chilly, I thought wow, what a cool idea to have a towel warmer in the engine compartment.

I think it would be possible to have an aluminum tray made to go across the top of the engine compartment above the motor with air holes to place towels in and warm them up in the engine compartment.

Does anyone see any problems with this? I cant see why this would not work, and how nice it would be to have a nice warm towel after getting out of the water in the spring/fall season. It could also be used to dry gloves and wet towels after they have been used.

csuggs
10-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I think that as long as it doesn't inhibit the natural airflow around the motor it would be ok. You would want to make sure that the towels are not absorbing any fumes from the engine compartment - that might be unpleasant for drying purposes. Also, I wouldn't put anything in there to dry that was dripping wet. But all-in-all, you might be onto something . . .

Fman
10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Good point about the fumes, I know my friends Malibu LSV has a plastic tray in the engine compartment for keeping towels warm. I dont recall smelling any fumes after lifting the engine compartment while the boat is running. Definitely something to consider, having towels smelling like exhaust fumes would be terrible.

jonyb
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
You should've bought a 24SSV. Mine has one in it stock. The engine hatch has a pad towards the transom that lifts up and has a tray underneath. I always keep shoes, drain plug, and a couple wrenches in mine.

Sluggo
10-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I would also be interested in the idea. Currently we flip up the seats on the ski locker bench, close the window, and turn the heater on full blast. This is assuming the heater is not already in use. If it is really cold, my 6 yr old will climb in there and sit, lol.

Fman
10-09-2009, 04:48 PM
You should've bought a 24SSV. Mine has one in it stock. The engine hatch has a pad towards the transom that lifts up and has a tray underneath. I always keep shoes, drain plug, and a couple wrenches in mine.

Have you ever tried placing towels in there?

Fman
10-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I would also be interested in the idea. Currently we flip up the seats on the ski locker bench, close the window, and turn the heater on full blast. This is assuming the heater is not already in use. If it is really cold, my 6 yr old will climb in there and sit, lol.

I have a hotwater shower and 3 vent heater on the boat which work great, but I thought adding a towel warmer would also add some more comfort. I am going to do some reasearch on the Malibu and Nautique set ups.

jzelt
10-09-2009, 08:42 PM
One feature the Mrs's misses with the I/O. There was room on both side of the motor to put plastic bins with towels/jackets that would be nice and warm if we wanted them. Doesn't seem to be much room between pad and the motor if running all across the top. May be able to create rectangular box that would run bow to stern on both sides of the motor.

jonyb
10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Have you ever tried placing towels in there?

No, but it stays dry in there because my shoedabakers are warm and dry everytime I get them out. You've just gotta keep the non-paying-attentioner's aware that they should'nt just drop their wet life jackets or boards with closed-toe bindings that are full of water on top of the lid.

I actually found a picture of the storage bin. It's fastened on the sides and rear through the metal brackets with stainless screws.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/DSC_3414.jpg

Fman
10-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Jony,

That was a similiar idea I had, except it would be not as deep because it would have to fit over the motor, but could make it a little longer. I was also thinking I could cover it and seal it off so no fumes would enter into it. Just an idea, not sure if I am going to do it.

Thanks for the pic.... wish I would of had the extra cash for the 24, but $40k was my max. Maybe that will be my next boat :)