PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to the SUPRA 24 SSV

Fman
10-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Just was looking at wakeboarding magazine and the virtual test drives, according to them the 2009 SUPRA 24 SSV Gravity Games is the only boat that tows a professional event with the stock ballast system. Seems that all the other boats are having to add more ballast/bags than the stock set-up. Nice job SC!

Here is the link:

http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/2009/09/12/supra-gravity-games-launch-24-ssv-2009/

Click on featured videos and select ballast system.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah Supra is the only one I know of that offers an upgradable ballast package in the GG package. Any Supra boat can get the upgrade, but the GG edition boat comes with it standard. Other companies like Centurion or Epic or MB have great ballast standard but they dont pull any tournies unless you count surf worlds.

Fman
10-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Yeah Supra is the only one I know of that offers an upgradable ballast package in the GG package. Any Supra boat can get the upgrade, but the GG edition boat comes with it standard. Other companies like Centurion or Epic or MB have great ballast standard but they dont pull any tournies unless you count surf worlds.

The new MC X-star and other boat manufacturers now offer a plug n' play option to add bags to there hard tank system. The 1000 pounds of hard tank is not enough to produce a quality tournament wake. Most of the X-stars are running 2500+ with hard tanks and bags. Guess this is why Supra/Moomba's are still only using the bags, easily upgradable and plenty of weight. The GG 24 SSV has 1100 pounds in the front with (2) 400's in the rear. Replace the 400's with (2) 750's and you are pushing 2600 lbs of weight. That would be one crazy wake.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 10:28 AM
My ride in the 03 SAN was an eye opener. Wake was incredibly steep and big with only pair of 400 tanks in back and a triangle 800 belly tank under the walkway. I think if you added some to the bow though it would not be so killer steep. I would love to try some other brands.

Fman
10-12-2009, 11:04 AM
My ride in the 03 SAN was an eye opener. Wake was incredibly steep and big with only pair of 400 tanks in back and a triangle 800 belly tank under the walkway. I think if you added some to the bow though it would not be so killer steep. I would love to try some other brands.

Remember, the hull design has also changed over the years which requires more bow weight to produce larger wakes. This is true, seeing as the 24 SSV has 1100 pounds of front ballast. You should find a tow behind a newer boat, they are nice.... you will get launched.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Well yeah but I have heard that some hull shapes liked weight distribution a little differently than others. When I was on the 03SAN, we picked up a guy at his dock where he had an 08 WakeSetter. After one ride he said that even with over 2k of weight in the Bu he didn't have a wake shape like the SAN with 1600lbs.

I agree that my SunSport likes more bow weight than older SN 2001s or Sport Nautys. And I have heard similar to your above statement that X-Star and newer Supra like bow weight due to the large, deep v bow.

THe SAN doesn't have as deep or large bow as these boats IMHO. It rode really rear-heavy and seemed to like it. When he took off out of the hole, the rear of the boat was buried to the rubrails on both sides. I'm talking like scary vertical wake. :) And I certainly got launched it was like nothing I have ever hit! :) :)

Sorry if I am taking this off-topic at all... Maybe we should post some pics of the 24SSVGG lol!

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I do like looking at that WBM boat buyers guide and I look at it quite often lol. Even though it is kinda rediculous to spend a whole issue on boats when the majority of people cannot afford it, but I digress. I wish they had more focus on the hull shape and construction of ballast system, I think that would be great. Add a few close-up photos and ditch the thumbnail pic pages. I just cant get over some of the new MC cruiser slike the X80 and now I hear they are making a new yacht/cuddy thing for like $140k and it drips luxury. They are cool but it just blows my mind! And then they say these are some of their best selling models it is like wth :p

Fman
10-15-2009, 02:27 AM
I do like looking at that WBM boat buyers guide and I look at it quite often lol. Even though it is kinda rediculous to spend a whole issue on boats when the majority of people cannot afford it, but I digress. I wish they had more focus on the hull shape and construction of ballast system, I think that would be great. Add a few close-up photos and ditch the thumbnail pic pages. I just cant get over some of the new MC cruiser slike the X80 and now I hear they are making a new yacht/cuddy thing for like $140k and it drips luxury. They are cool but it just blows my mind! And then they say these are some of their best selling models it is like wth :p

There are some crazy boats out there these days... I had a hard time spending $40k on my Sunsport. I think the new X-star is around $90k loaded up, which is a lot of cash... guess I will never be that good of a wakeboarder to demand such an expensive boat. They are definitely cool looking boats... I can see why a lot of folks go with Moomba, basic boats that serve there purpose and are well priced.

sandm
10-20-2009, 07:00 PM
most people that buy an xstar aren't doing so because they need that wake, they do so because they have to have the "best"... and the best usually means the most advertised/drooled over/most expensive machine..