PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Seats - Mildew Removal

rickmcd59
03-07-2004, 02:40 PM
I stored my boat outside (under a \"breathable\" cover) during the winter months. Now it seems that a dark mildew has attacked my vinyl seats (and seat seams) and even the beige (I think its some type of rubber) Moomba steering wheel. I\'ve tried Fantastik - the Moomba \"recommended\" cleaner and that removes about 80% of the mildew - the final 20% is almost impossible to remove with Fantastik. Does anybody have an answer for something that works more easily and doesn\'t later cause the vinyl to dry out and crack like some cleaners I\'ve heard of?

jflock2
03-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Check out this website - everything you wanted to know about cleaning marine vinyl.

www.marinespecialtiesgroup.com

Select Products then Cleaning Recommendations.

Salty87
03-10-2004, 02:32 PM
a soft brush and some non-abrasive cleaner, don't scrub too hard. the sun will help bleach out some of it. 303 protectant after the cleaning to keep the vinyl protected.

shf49
03-11-2004, 10:51 PM
You can use Tilex sprayed on an old toothbrush to get the tough stuff out of the grain in the vinyl. Then spray your upolstery with a mixture of Murphy's oil soap and water and wipe down. You won't believe how supple Murphy's will make your vinyl. I have a pontoon with white uplostery that is 10 years old and all the vinyl is as nice as it was the day I bought it.

peacefulfeeling
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
shf49-
I know I'm diggin' up an old post but I want to thank you so very much for your input on cleaning marine vinyl. Boy howdy, that technique really gets the job done. It did a wonderful job.

Bless you and hope you a wonderful 2010 boating summer!