PDA

View Full Version : What winter projects are you doing?

Skylar18
10-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I am fortunate to have found this message board as the information I have gotten from all of you has been fantastic. I have gotten a bunch of ideas from everybody, sound advice and not once has anyone said, boy that is a stupid question!

That being said, with it at the end of the season, I am curious what upgrade projects people are going to do to their boats this winter. I am sure that there are some really cool projects that I haven't even thought of yet!

I personally am going to:

Install tower speakers
Upgrade my Perfect Pass to StarGazer
Replace my rear 400lb ballast bags with the 750lb ones
Get the 1 scratch fixed on the boat that is driving me crazy

tg0824SSVGG
10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
On my list: (finances will dictate what might happen)
* shower
* flush kit
* Extend the hoses on the 2 heater vents that pull out by about 2 feet each.
* Want to come up with a clever way to sanitize the ballast - around here, you're in
trouble for even HAVING ballast if it is hooked up - due to Zebra and Quagga mussles.
(not in my lake yet, but it's only time)
* dream list - I don't like how narrow my platform is. I am not sure how much bigger
the Supra Teak platform is - but my buddies with Tige's (22ve) have GREAT BIG
platforms (that don't go BONK with every little wave).

That's pretty much it for now.

jzelt
10-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I had planned on replacing the rear ballast pump, adding a ball check valve so I can shut off the front center ballast bag from auto filling. But I have already done those. I want to upgrade to FMan's setup, but I'm not going to have money to do for a while over winter since we just purchased it. Thus the quick cheap fixes for now.

I am going to replace the impeller, wax everything again. We are going to make seat covers so the dog doesn't scratch the vinyl. (He hasn't been on the "new" boat yet since we have had it for the last 3 weeks).

Add second disk brakes to rear axle. (Law went into effect last couple years around here that the previous owner didn't follow).

Also was planning on re-gluing the rubber side steps on the trailer, but again that has already been done.

Haven't left myself much of a winter project. Hoping we don't have much of one so I don't have a big list. I will enjoy snowmobiling (2nd year I have owned one), but looking toward spring.

jonyb
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
but my buddies with Tige's (22ve) have GREAT BIG
platforms (that don't go BONK with every little wave).

Drop a fender washer between the platform and the bracket to stop the BONK.

My list:
Fix a buncha crap
new pumps for fill and drain on the ballast
might move my amps to the gunwhales instead of way up under the console
thinking of adding another Syn4 and 4 MB-8's
extend the oil drain tube another 2' since it won't go out the drain plug in the transom

tg0824SSVGG
10-10-2009, 11:16 AM
John,

I would like to extend my oil drain hose too - my pump gets all the oil out now, but I am certain it would be MUCH easier if I didn't have to pump it UP AND OVER first ... what do you have in mind?

jonyb
10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I guess just getting another tube and extending it. What pump do you use? I tried one of the cheap ones through the dipstick but the oil had to be hot, and it was so hot that it melted the tube. Warm oil won't drain out of the drain plug through the hose either.

tg0824SSVGG
10-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The one I use was originally bought for sucking the oil thru the dipstick on my I/O.

I still use it for ALL KINDS Of things, bleeding brakes, sucking out tranny oil, etc (and changing the oil thru the oil drain hose) -- the oil just needs to be "warm" not hot.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zFyZFNjqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTB83M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000MT95RS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VNT2WQMPXH2SZ2870M4

I would love to get an electric one that just hooks up to the drain hose, but all of
them I have looked at that are CLOSE to affordable look hokey.

Todd

Skylar18
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I tried to do a quick upgrade this weekend that wasn't even on my list. I got the replacement swivel hinges from Roswell that replace the 1 button swivels that were put on Supras from 2006-2008. One of mine had stripped and I got replacements sent to me from my dealer at no charge.

Thought it would be a 15 minute job.........

2 screws that hold the swivel rack on to the boat had the allen screw head completely stripped. Whoever put the rack on the boat wasn't paying attention.

Grrrrr.........

Going to home depot to get an easy out bit and will try again.

Okie Boarder
10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Stringer and Floor replacement. If all goes well it will result in some in-floor ballast. I'm also looking at putting a tower on, along with tower speakers and some amp changes to better power the boat, sub and the potential new tower speakers. We'll see...time and $ permitting.

csuggs
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Ditto - Stringer and Floor replacement as well as some cosmetic repairs to the hull. Maaaayybeeeeee even a tower ;)

Okie - Who's doing your stringers?

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
My list is probably going to turn into a spring list. Snowed overnight and boat will be headed for storage this weekend.

- Perfect Pass (just PMd Skylar about his old control unit...)
- Heater
- Hot Water Shower
- Built in Ballast (or at least new custom bags.... Would love to have a ~1500-2000lb L-Shaped surf bag.)
- More rubbing compound + wax. I can't seem to ever stop.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Maybe a new bimini. Maybe PerfectPass. Not much luck finding mechanical version used. Ebaymotors has some lately but for like $800 and missing paddwheel or etc. I have lots of parts to complete my ballast and add two more pumps, overflow lines with thruhulls and check valves. But now I am starting to wonder how much more I really want to sink into this boat. I'm not sure I'll have many buyers if I start asking more $10k.

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe a new bimini. Maybe PerfectPass. Not much luck finding mechanical version used. Ebaymotors has some lately but for like $800 and missing paddwheel or etc. I have lots of parts to complete my ballast and add two more pumps, overflow lines with thruhulls and check valves. But now I am starting to wonder how much more I really want to sink into this boat. I'm not sure I'll have many buyers if I start asking more $10k.

I start thinking the same way and then consider what a new boat payment is like. So what if I have $20k into my boat? It's worth $20k to me. I know the resale value on it is probably never going to be over $10k - $12k.... but.... I'm getting my money out of it. I couldn't buy a boat that would be equipped like mine is, with as much room, reliability and "familiarness" for $20k.... so I'm keeping it and that means I'll just keep "investing."

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Well yeah but I was thinking if I get in for $7k (all paid off), resell for mayber $9.5k after putting in $3k that's not too bad. Then I take that 9.5k, add another 5k to get into a V-Drive, and another $2k in upgrades there and I payments are still real low.

wotan2525
10-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Well yeah but I was thinking if I get in for $7k (all paid off), resell for mayber $9.5k after putting in $3k that's not too bad. Then I take that 9.5k, add another 5k to get into a V-Drive, and another $2k in upgrades there and I payments are still real low.

It makes sense.... I couldn't outfit a $14k V-drive into what I need/want for $2k. I need $2k in stereo alone. +tower, +ballast, +22plus feet of space. The other BIG BIG BIG thing is the devil-I-know vs. devil-I-don't. At this point I've turned every screw/nut/bolt on my boat (most more than once) and if there is a problem, I know exactly what it is and how to fix it. That's worth something to me.

Of course.... if the economy rebounds and I find myself making money like I did 3-4 years ago.... I could be persuaded to move into a payment again. I paid my boat off in a year when I bought it 6 years ago. If I had the means to pay cash for an upgrade (and the accessories to go with it) right now I'd probably consider it because things are SOOO cheap out there.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Ya in Mnpls craigslist there is a 95 Super Sport v-drive for $12.5!!!!

Okie Boarder
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Okie - Who's doing your stringers?

I'm having it done at OBR.

wotan2525
10-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Ya in Mnpls craigslist there is a 95 Super Sport v-drive for $12.5!!!!

Yep... I've seen that one. Too small for what I need but I'm sure it's a nice boat. Again... devil you don't know... who knows what kind of mechanical shape that engine is in? How often oil changes were performed? How (or if) it was winterized correctly? etc.....

techsledder
10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I've put enough money into her for now...
But when I'm bored:
-Renew the Teak trim peices
-Detail the engine
-Find some new front hatch latches (old ones are broken)
-Install a raw water filter
-Figure out why my three rear port side spark plugs were all black

Otherwise, I'm going snowmobiling in Da U.P., eh!

mapleleaf
10-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Eh?? They talk us Canucks in the U.P.?? Shoot I'd be right at home eh?

chautauquasun
10-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I bought mine then end of 2008. Ran it this year with several problems...but had fun with it and decided to keep it and restore her....Clint I guess I to have a "Keeper" Here are my plans.

1. Stringer and floor
2. Add a seawater strainer - mine does not have one amazingly enough and found that the oil cooler was full of seaweed.
3. New Shaft bearing
4. Prop refurbished
5. Completely clean all of the vinyl in the interior
6. refinish all of the teak
7. Clean all of the chrome - maybe rechrome some of bad blistered parts
8. Fix the running lights and interior lights
9. repaint the gauges
10. New Steering helm and cable
11. Find the leak, new rudder seals or new shaft packing
12 clean and seal SuperTrapps.
13. New carpet - I like the deckadence product
14. New cover
15. New belts
16. refinish pulleys
17. degrease and clean the motor
18. replace some of the hoses
19. clean and wax hull
20. Finally adhere the Supra Wave decals that have been sitting in my garage all summer.

Should I keep going or just buy a new boat?

csuggs
10-16-2009, 09:15 AM
You're on the right track Dan!

iwakeboard
10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I have a couple planned, not really projects but hey...

1) Install a new amp
2) Install new tower speakers that haven't been tuned.
3) May order replacement cabin seats -- my boat had sat out in the Florida sun uncovered for like a year and a half.
4) May replace PP interface
5) May install sub, I have the sub but no amp
6) Install battery switch and second battery, had to get jump started once this summer, no fun.
7) Serious wet-sanding wax/cleaning.
8) buy stock in magic erasers.

jet
10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
You mean like this? 750 lbs rear locker and 400 lbs up front in the nose..I need more! I went away from my original set up 550's beside the eng and 400 in the back and 100 in the front. I am going to have to back to something like that the 1150 lbs is not enough. The empty floor is nice but not enough weight now. Now Im thinking 550's on the side and 400 in the rear and 300-400 in the front. Jet

I have more pic's under my profile.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Jet nice to see you over here I'll be watching post them pics up! :) I use a pair of 400s in the bow and there is hidden storage space under the spotters storage compartment it fits the whole sac. The open bow is still open and this way you can also fill just one side for surfing.

I use a 350 in rear locker and 350 under rear bench seat but you are right it is not quite enough in the back. Just like 2-300lbs would make it perfect I am thinking some dead weight hidden in the gunnels or somewhere else in the rear hidden.

Then mine is all hidden unless I am surfing and then just one 750 on the floor. Love your setup!!!!

jet
10-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Its really hard for us Comp guys. We have a very shallow hull and not much room. I finally out grew my boat this year and will prob sell it in the spring and upgrade to v-drive 99'-02'??

87SunSportMikeyD
10-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah I actually forgot you had a Comp when I posted that. But I think the space would still be there under the spotters storage compartment accessed through the bow.

I started a thread just a bit ago called 'when did supra make their first v-drive'. Looks like it is a 99 Santara there are a couple here on these forums too. Unfortunatly they are still about $24-30k whereas a 95 MC os SN v-drive is only $14k or so.

mapleleaf
10-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah I actually forgot you had a Comp when I posted that. But I think the space would still be there under the spotters storage compartment accessed through the bow.

I started a thread just a bit ago called 'when did supra make their first v-drive'. Looks like it is a 99 Santara there are a couple here on these forums too. Unfortunatly they are still about $24-30k whereas a 95 MC os SN v-drive is only $14k or so.

Mikey does your research allow you anytime to work?????:D

87SunSportMikeyD
10-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Gosh why does everyone say that... >;-)

Skylar18
10-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Just got the quote to fix my one scratch on the boat. It is pretty deep. Price is $330 dollars from the fiberglass guy. I can think of better ways to spend $330 dollars than on a scratch. However, that scratch pisses me off everytime I look at it. Everything I said I was going to do this winter is costing me about 25% more than I thought. Oh well, still love my boat and the wife doesn't mind what I spend on it since she loves it as well......

mapleleaf
10-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I am definitely not married to the same woman...I keeping hoping time on the water will only make her love it more...(and the spending part!)

iwakeboard
10-28-2009, 09:19 AM
My lady is coming around but I don't think she's adjusted to the purchase yet, so my toy-improvements may be on hold for a while :D

87SunSportMikeyD
10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Try throwing around words like "safety" and "clearance". I found those to work quite well. :)

tg0824SSVGG
10-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Right - only if your wife is not so bright ... "I want bigger ballast bags for safety!"

I am just happy that most investments in MY boat are for my wife, so she's the one
asking for them - like the shower I was "supposed" to add last spring, that I better
get around to before next spring.

(married 28.5 years - when she says let's buy a new boat, we BUY A NEW BOAT!!!)

jasonwm
10-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Just got the quote to fix my one scratch on the boat. It is pretty deep. Price is $330 dollars from the fiberglass guy. I can think of better ways to spend $330 dollars than on a scratch. However, that scratch pisses me off everytime I look at it. Everything I said I was going to do this winter is costing me about 25% more than I thought. Oh well, still love my boat and the wife doesn't mind what I spend on it since she loves it as well......

Why not try fixing it yourself, it's not difficult, and worst case is you pay the guy to fix it anyway.

Skylar18
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I probably would if the boat was at my house and I could work on it in my garage. It is at a Marina and I don't want to do a job like that that I have never done before in a non covered area with the only tools I have are the ones I remembered to bring.

docdrs
11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
this looks awesome, anyone have it? I want it.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12839

iwakeboard
11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Right - only if your wife is not so bright ... "I want bigger ballast bags for safety!"

I am just happy that most investments in MY boat are for my wife, so she's the one
asking for them - like the shower I was "supposed" to add last spring, that I better
get around to before next spring.

(married 28.5 years - when she says let's buy a new boat, we BUY A NEW BOAT!!!)

See, I've been married for exactly a month today, so I'm hoping not to F it up too much too early! haha

87SunSportMikeyD
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
heated seat install is freaking awesome!!!

IWB congrats! just got engaged this summer