PDA

View Full Version : stringer rott

89ts6m
10-09-2009, 10:47 PM
after reading posts on stringer rott, i have some questions I hope can be answered. I have an '89 TS6M Comp with 860 hours on it. Ski pylon and engine trunnion bolts are tight and do not spin when pressure is applied to them. Flooring has no soft spots whatsoever. Is there some signs that I could look for or test that I could do to let me know if there's stringer rott in my boat? Where are the spots that water infiltrates the boat causing stringer rott? Is there any kind of preventative maintenance that can be done to stop this problem? Is there any kind of sealants or caulking that can be used on the screws that hold the swim platform and speedo sending units? If so, what are the name brands of the products that should be used? Is there any pictures that are posted on the form that show step by step procedures on how to repair and replace the stringers along with the name brand and types of products that should be used for this procedure? Last question, what is the chance of my boat having some kind of stringer rott?

mapleleaf
10-10-2009, 02:33 AM
here's the deal, I'm in the exact same shoes's as you, only I have an open bow.Pull the removeable floor section in front of the rear bench and check the bigle valley there and under the gas tank where the mounting bolts anchor it down also look for rot. I(f it has 860 hrs, chances are good the wood is on it's way, but all is not lost , if the fiberglass looks good everywhere and ther are no big cracks under the gas tank.....then rock on.....
I don't think there 's a product out there that is the quick fix for rotting stringer's......

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
here's the deal, I'm in the exact same shoes's as you, only I have an open bow.Pull the removeable floor section in front of the rear bench and check the bigle valley there and under the gas tank where the mounting bolts anchor it down also look for rot. I(f it has 860 hrs, chances are good the wood is on it's way, but all is not lost , if the fiberglass looks good everywhere and ther are no big cracks under the gas tank.....then rock on.....
I don't think there 's a product out there that is the quick fix for rotting stringer's......

Rot doctor makes some products that will repair stringers..... but unfortunately if there's any water in there it won't work. That is the biggest problem -- if you find evidence of rot, you're not going to be able to EVER dry out that saturated wood without replacing it.