PDA

View Full Version : Remove accessories before storage??

87SunSportMikeyD
10-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Just wanted to check and see what other people did when storing the boat for the winter. Do you remove accessories like boardracks, mirrors, amps, EQ, subwoofers, tower speakers, ropes, life jackets, etc??

Personally my boat is currently stored outside under supported cover and tarp. Minneapolis, so it also gets snow and ice on top. Concern about theft is only 2/10, I am more concerned about any possible cold damage to items like speakers or EQ.

Thanks! I would post a pic but since moving I have yet to unpack that box the camera is in, whichever one it is. :)

michael hunter
10-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Make sure you put a bunch of dryer sheets in the boat to prevent mice and other varmints
from getting to your interior.

chautauquasun
10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
One thing you may want to consider removing is the Ingition Coil. I know that on old boats we owned we found that the coils would freeze over the winter and go bad. After we started removing them and storing them we found they lasted a lot longer. I didnt remove mine last year and ended up having to replace it this year. Any one else have a similar experience?

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Just wanted to check and see what other people did when storing the boat for the winter. Do you remove accessories like boardracks, mirrors, amps, EQ, subwoofers, tower speakers, ropes, life jackets, etc??

Personally my boat is currently stored outside under supported cover and tarp. Minneapolis, so it also gets snow and ice on top. Concern about theft is only 2/10, I am more concerned about any possible cold damage to items like speakers or EQ.

Thanks! I would post a pic but since moving I have yet to unpack that box the camera is in, whichever one it is. :)

I wouldn't worry about much of the electronics, but do be EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA certain that everything is dry before you store it. Last year I wasn't as diligent about drying things out and there ended up being some wet ropes in the front.... and it had been outside and had been rained on and the carpet in the bottom of the storage areas was wet. When I cracked it open in the spring I found some mold and my huge sub box/rear bench had finally rotted out (it was probably overdue to be replaced anyway...)

This year, I've had mine covered for the last couple of weeks with a dehumidifier rocking in there. I've got all ropes/jackets/soft-things out and will be winterizing and applying dryer sheets this weekend.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
That is a good idea my bow storage is pretty full of parts and junk. Also I need to get the prop puller out and send that back to ACME to be reworked.

Blackntan90
10-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Personally, I remove everything that is not bolted down! I feel it lets air circulate better to help keep it drier. It also is easier to work on winter projects with all that stuff out of the way. Michael, thanks for the tip about the dryer sheets- the first year I owned my boat, a cat had kittens in the "basement" under the playpen!! Good thing I had those cushions out!!

chautauquasun
10-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I have never heard of the dryer sheets idea. Last year I put in moisture bags...but they didnt work as well as I thought they would. Where do you put the dryer sheets? What do they do?

wotan2525
10-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I have never heard of the dryer sheets idea. Last year I put in moisture bags...but they didnt work as well as I thought they would. Where do you put the dryer sheets? What do they do?

All they do is keep the rodents/mice/etc out... I just buy a box and stuff them in all the cracks in the upholstery and in every nook and cranny throughout the boat. Cheap/easy insurance. My dad had mice eat his drivers seat a few years back.... I've always used dryer sheets and have never had an issue.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 08:21 AM
At my parents house I stored my boat for ONE WEEK and when I came back I found over 35 large black walnuts in my boat. They put them EVERYWHERE even in the cupholders. Also chewed a little at the plywood on my bench seat - they got in the gunnels and got all over the boat the little bastards. Funny tho

chautauquasun
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Do they not like the smell? Is that what keeps them out? I will definitely use them this year. Maybe I can use them in my house. We have something dead (chipmunk, squirrel or mouse) some where in my finished basement. The ceiling is all drywall so I cant get at whatever it is unless I start tearing out the ceiling. Ugh...damn varmits.

SupraTamu
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
What are dry sheets and where can you purchase them? I keep my boat in closed storage space and have not had issues in the past but it could not hurt for added insurance.

wotan2525
10-14-2009, 02:10 PM
What are dry sheets and where can you purchase them? I keep my boat in closed storage space and have not had issues in the past but it could not hurt for added insurance.

Dryer sheets... any wal-mart, target, hardware or grocery store has them in the laundry section. You add them to the dryer to remove static and make your clothes smell nice? No idea why but they keep mice away.

csuggs
10-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Good to know - about the dryer sheets, that is . . .

jet
10-19-2009, 06:11 PM
I have a SRS solar attic fan on top of my garage with inlet vents cut into the garage door. So the attic fan pulls air into the garage..then I have ceiling vents in the ceiling that vent up to the attic fan. I park my wet boat in the garage and then forget about it. It dries out fast and stays coool in the summer. Oh yeah..Im a SRS solar attic fan dealer in Dallas or Mckinney. Give me a call if you need one. you will get the Supra family discount. This is just to let yall know about what I did, not to sell or spam the site. Ha ha..Jet

coolmyatticnow