PDA

View Full Version : Ballast System on 99 Launch

syrupdawg
10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Im redoing the floor this winter in my 99 launch and I was thinking about putting a hardtank ballast system in it somehow if i can find anywhere. Any pics would be nice of any similar projects you guys have worked on. What do I need to make sure I do for the tanks as far as pumps and anything else? Thanks

Fman
10-12-2009, 01:03 AM
I believe bags would be easier, but I could be wrong, I have never installed hard tanks into the floor. As far as pumps, the easiest would be to use the impeller driven JABSCO Ballast Puppies, they are using them in the '09+ Supras. The advantage to these is they are reversible, and they prime themselves. You would only need one line to drain and fill them. Pretty much one pump for each bag, intake/scupper, shut-off valve, bilge line into the pump and into the bag. The nice thing about the JABSCO's is they will stop water from entering and exiting the bags once they are turned off.

Now, the disadvantages to the JABSCO's are more maintenance, 9 amps per pump, if you run them dry they will burn the impeller up and need to be replaced. They only pump 540 GPH compared to the Tsunami at 800 GPH. Tsunami's are aerator style and will not prime themselves, require a little more complex setup to install them. Nice thing is they pump more water, rarely fail, can be run dry, cost only $30 (compared to $230 for JABSCO).

Clear as mud? If you want more information on the Tsunamis let me know. Also another great contact is Jason at www.wakemakers.com they can get you going in the right direction and sell everything you will need.

98outback
10-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Why are you redoing the floor? Shouldnt a 99 be all fiberglass and no wood.