PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute Winterization issue!

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Hey all! Winter has come quickly in Minneapolis and we are getting more sustained high 20's and some snow already twice ugg!

So I finally got my boat out of the water and it's now over at my new house for storage alongside the garage. Covered well but I will add a tarp too.

So anyways... I got everything drained. Got both bolts on the engine block, the impellor pump hose drained, the raw water strainer off and drained, and drained the exhaust manifolds.

Normally my last step is to start the boat and fill with antifree until it comes out the exhaust (about one gallon). However, this time I just couldnt get the boat started! WTF!

I am not really smelling any gas when I pump the throttle. Tank is nearly empty so I added 2gal of gas but still nothing (I dont like to store with a full tank). I may try pouring some gas directly into the carb. Batteries were dead but even charged wont start. It started fine when I went to take the boat out of the water. Maybe it's just too cold right now??

So each time the boat cranked over, I noticed it sucked in some antifreeze. Even though the boat wouldnt START, I was able to get her to suck up the gallon of antifreeze with a bit of cranking. However I never saw any come out the exhaust. I will try again if the weather warms up to 50 again in a week or so.

What do you think?? Slightly worried, waking me up in the night! Thanks!

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I searched wakeworld and many people say they do not start their boat and let it run while adding antifreeze. I saw posts that said they used a longer hose-and-funnel and elevated it about head-height. Then just fill with antifreeze. THen they said they turned the motor over for a couple seconds and were done. Anyone care to offer me a reassuring opinion? :p

mapleleaf
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Mikey get me your email address. I'll send you Dr. Hunter's procedure....he's a pro, step by step it's really great......

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
[email protected] buddy! I have a pictorial in my manual but it doesn't specify or mention at all ever starting the motor.

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Can't speak for anyone else but i ALWAYS suck antifreeze in until it comes out the exhaust (make sure to pull the thermostat before this.) I usually use ~4-5 gallons. It's just too cold up here to listen to what people in warmer climates do.

I haven't winterized yet and my boat is outside. Hasn't been a deep enough freeze to cause any damage yet and it will be warming up in the next few days. I wouldn't be too concerned if I were you. I think of it this way -- if it's not cold enough to freeze a bucket of water solid -- it's not cold enough to cause any damage to your boat.

I always store with a full tank of fuel with seafoam added. This keeps moisture from forming in the air in the tank and the seafoam keeps it stablized. I'd try the boat again with some starting fluid into the carb. It should fire right up.

Good luck and keep us informed!

chautauquasun
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Mikey

Sorry to hear about the problems. Mine is out of the water also but I havent winterized it yet. Last couple of nights it has gotten down into the mid to low 30s but has warmed up 50s during the day...so I think I am okay.

If you are pouring gas in the carb or using starting fluid and it isnt starting it sounds more like an ignition problem. I mentioned this in another post on here. I dont know if it is technically correct...but I have found that the cold weather has killed my coils. I had the same problem last year when we winterized my boat. I also couldn't get it started but was able to get enough anti-freeze in it by doing the same thing you did. This past spring, I couldn't get it started. I tried everything with the fuel system and no luck. I put a fresh tank of gas in it and replaced the coil (autozone told me it was dead) and it fired right up. If you are still having problems, take your coil down to autozone and have them check it.

Seems strange but mine did the same thing last year...started up and was able to get it out of the water but wouldn't start again until spring.

Good Luck...

jzelt
10-13-2009, 12:13 PM
We just winterized ours Sunday/Monday. We went for our last ride Sunday and while in the parking lot, I drained all the oils/ATF. Got home and changed oil filter and refilled the oils. (by the way, a turkey baster works nice for filling the v-drive. Started with a funnel with a hose and made a small quick mess for getting in the hole). Ran out of daylight. (didn't want to go home when I should have).

Last night, started up the boat on the home made fake a lake plunger, brought it up to temp for 15 mins. Drained the water out of block and manifolds, then poured a bunch of antifreeze/water into a 5 gallon bucket. Put it on the swim platform and ran a small garden hose to the plunger. Started up the boat and idled at 2000 while it sucked it down.

I have the wife run the throttle and watch the water temp. I verify the plunger isn't going anywhere and water is coming out the back. I can't imagine not having help doing something this critical.

On the I/O, We previously hand mixed the antifreeze and poured it down each hose till it came out. She would fill up the container, hand it in to me, then tell me when it was coming out.

Being we sucked it up, she couldn't believe how quick it was. In her words, "THAT's IT?" Man I love the new boat. Everything is easier on it.

boatin_nut
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
hey mapleleaf, If you wouldn't mind sending me those winterization steps. my email address is [email protected].

Thanks a bunch, and have a great winter.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments, but I am really just trying to determine if running the motor is a critical step when adding the antifreeze. I know most people do run the motor so it sucks up the antifreeze easily. But I have seen two sets of instructions that DO NOT mention the motor running during that step.

From Michael/Maples instructions: 6-Reinstall all plugs mix 1 gal of green antifreeze 50/50 pull the hose going to the top of the raw water pump up and put a funnel in it pore the 2 gals of 50/50 antifreeze in this hose it will fill the engine at the thermostat housing [pic14]. When done there should be a little antifreeze coming out the exhaust.

No where does it mention running the motor during this step. On other steps that do require running the motor it is specifically indicated.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
In case anyone doesn't want to wait for an email:

Here is how I winterize my 89 Sunsport 351 w I have been doing it this way for 21 years and have not had any problems.
You will need Stabil, Fogging oil, oil and filter, can of brake cleaner and hand tools.
1- Fill gas tank about 3/4 full or more add Stabil at the gas station as directed on the bottle drive home.
2- Remove the engine cover and rear floor section.
3- Hook up a fake lake or put the raw water hose in a bucket with water hose to run the engine on land. pic 1
3-Start engine let it idle untill operating temp [15-20 min] remove the flame arrestor start to spray the fogging oil in the two front barrels of the carb. Spray fast enough to load the engine but not stall it. Use at least 1/2 the can then spray faster to stall the engine or shut it down. Change the oil now if needed.
4- With engine off remove hoses starting at the raw water fitting. remove the raw water filter and clean it out and reinstall it [pic2]. Remove the hoses from the top and bottom of the trans cooler make sure its clean inside [pic4]. Remove the hoses from the top and bottom of the raw water pump and remove pump [ make sure you MARK the top of the pump before you remove] [pic9&10]
5- Remove drain plugs in the rear of the exhaust manifolds [ use a 1/2 " ratchet][pic7] there are two 9/16 plugs in the sides of the block [front of the starboard side rear on the port] [pic5] remove both there is a drain plug in the bottom of the u shaped cast iron hose connector next to the raw water pump[pic12] remove it let all water drain into the bilge.
6-Reinstall all plugs mix 1 gal of green antifreeze 50/50 pull the hose going to the top of the raw water pump up and put a funnel in it pore the 2 gals of 50/50 antifreeze in this hose it will fill the engine at the thermostat housing [pic14]. When done there should be a little antifreeze coming out the exhaust.
7- Clean the flame arrestor with the brake cleaner [do this over a garbage can to catch the mess] let dry and reinstall it.
8- Mark the two sides of the housing of the raw water pump remove the three 7/16 bolts and remove the impeller store it outside the pump. Loosen the alt belt.
9-If you are going to change the trans oil do it now PCM recommends Dexron trans fluid I use synthetic oil it the engine and trans.
10- Thoroughly clean the bilge I use pine sol and spray mold and mildew spray [Be careful around the carpet] Rinse with water let the bilge pump flush out the water. I use a wet vac to remove the excess water the bilge pump cant remove. Let it dry and reinstall the floor section and engine cover.
11- Thoroughly clean the boat and trailer inside and out . 303 the vinyl wax the fiberglass. Tighten all screws and bolts as needed.

csuggs
10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Great procedure Mikey! I like all the detail!

I was actually thinking of using RV anitfreeze this year - anyone ever try that?

AKSupra
10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I run an 89 TS6M.
I winterize by disconnecting the pump hose (on the pump side), elevating the disconnected end up and pouring RV antifreeze in until it runs out the exhaust. Takes 4-5 gallons. Never had a problem.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Yes most people do recommend RV/Marine (Red) Antifreeze because it is much more enviromentally friendly to the lake in the spring. If you run fake-a-lake in the spring in the driveway before putting her in, that helps but it still goes in the stormwater sewer which is a bigtime no-no.

I used it last year but the auto shops around me were sold out this year due to the unexpectedly quick cold snap.

Personally the process above it too much for me. Oil is changed in spring, impellor is fine, fogging not needed. Just drain water and fill with antifreeze is all I have ever done.

I hear ya on the coil Maple I may replace mine for fun next spring to see if it helps thanks for that tip. Where did you find a new coil? Any luck finding a higher voltage/performance coil???

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
AKSupra - So when you are pouring in the antifreeze you DO NOT run the engine????

AKSupra
10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey all! Winter has come quickly in Minneapolis and we are getting more sustained high 20's and some snow already twice ugg!

So I finally got my boat out of the water and it's now over at my new house for storage alongside the garage. Covered well but I will add a tarp too.

So anyways... I got everything drained. Got both bolts on the engine block, the impellor pump hose drained, the raw water strainer off and drained, and drained the exhaust manifolds.

Normally my last step is to start the boat and fill with antifree until it comes out the exhaust (about one gallon). However, this time I just couldnt get the boat started! WTF!

I am not really smelling any gas when I pump the throttle. Tank is nearly empty so I added 2gal of gas but still nothing (I dont like to store with a full tank). I may try pouring some gas directly into the carb. Batteries were dead but even charged wont start. It started fine when I went to take the boat out of the water. Maybe it's just too cold right now??

So each time the boat cranked over, I noticed it sucked in some antifreeze. Even though the boat wouldnt START, I was able to get her to suck up the gallon of antifreeze with a bit of cranking. However I never saw any come out the exhaust. I will try again if the weather warms up to 50 again in a week or so.

What do you think?? Slightly worried, waking me up in the night! Thanks!

I run an 89 TS6M.
I winterize by disconnecting the pump hose (on the pump side), elevating the disconnected end up and pouring RV antifreeze in until it runs out the exhaust. Takes 4-5 gallons. Never had a problem. No need to run engine.

wotan2525
10-14-2009, 02:18 PM
AKSupra - So when you are pouring in the antifreeze you DO NOT run the engine????

Mikey -- I remembered last night that 3-4 years ago my engine had wiped the cam and wasn't in running condition. The engine was sitting on my garage floor (unheated) and I had to winterize it. I pulled the thermostat and poured RV antifreeze into the top of it -- just kept pouring until it seemed all the way full. Then I did the same to all of the intake hoses/output hoses. I didn't have a problem. If your engine isn't running this is how I would do it.

Also, it's going to be almost 60 degrees this weekend up here. You can probably try to start it again and work on your boat without too much suffering. I might take the boat back out for a fall cruise (find some girls that want to see the leaves all pretty) -- will probably be the last hurrah and a good chance for me to winterize it.

87SunSportMikeyD
11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Update I finally got some time. Hooked a hose into the raw water intake and raised it high with a funnel. Took a little more than four gal. I didn't take thermo out. Finally got a half gal or so out the exhaust. Hooray! Covered her perfectly, covered that with a huge plastic tarp. See ya in the spring baby.

edit - I have been wakeboarding for 14 years and every fall still sucks.