PDA

View Full Version : Recurrent Transmission Failure

tomelenbaas
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I am suffering a recurrent failure in my transmission (Velvet Drive 10-17 Model 71C) on my '88 Mariah. For the first 16 years of ownership I've had no issues. Now, 3 times in the last 5 years the transmission has failed in reverse. Everything will be fine and then all of a sudden I have no reverse. Forward gear still works fine. Once reverse fails, while in "neutral" there is a slight forward rotation of the prop shaft. The problem has been exactly the same all 3 times. I've had the transmission rebuilt twice - the second time I helped with the rebuild and the reverse clutch plates were actually broken - they split clear through.

Ever since the boat was new the shift into reverse was "hard". While the shift into forward was very smooth, the shift into reverse was always a "clunk" and a shudder.

My winter project will be to rebuild the tranny for the third time, but I am wondering what is the likely cause of these failures? Should I forget about a third rebuild and just but in a new unit? Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

wotan2525
10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't know much about these (knock on wood!) but I'm wondering.... has your fluid always been clean/clear when you've checked or replaced it? I'm currently fighting a leaky tranny cooler and wonder what effects it has already had on my tranny.