PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Upgrade - question

csuggs
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm taking my 86 Sunsport to TN next month where it will spend the winter getting new stringers, floor, etc. But I have a question about the exhaust. My boat presently has the Supertrapps, and I like them pretty well. But I know that they do require some maintenance - every once in a while they have to be re-sealed so that water does not leak past and get under the floor. So what about the flapper style exhaust? I have heard that the flappers are better at keeping water out. Is that true? I mean, the boat builders don't use the Supertrapps any longer, so is this the reason? Or maybe there is another system out there that is better.
I am considering having Jim change out the exhaust while he has it apart this winter if there is a better alternative. What do you guys think?

87SunSportMikeyD
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
FAE :) should be same measurements as mine

With either trapps or flapps the exhaust pipe exits the transom of the boat and must be sealed. Then the outlet is covered with either trapps or a flapper. The last ring on the trapps is screwed into the transom and siliconed. Flapps would be an advantage over this.

The FAE are screwed into the same holes my trapps used but they are much larger screws (I think it was the same holes hmmm).

Blackntan90
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I do not have the supratrapps, I have the flappers-no leaks so far...would love the FAE- IT'S JUST A MATTER OF MONEY!!

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I know I know it is real expensive. I look at it kinda like a new prop - except the FAE doesn't ever get damaged! :) But it has been worth it. You can literally whisper from bow to bench seat while wakeboarding. I could talk under my breath and the surfer could hear me. All you hear is water slapping on the hull. UNless you goose the motor or turn which breaks up the water around the transom allowing more sound to escape in the turbulance bubbles.

Blackntan90
10-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, someday... maybe after the kid is out of college I'll have a little more money to play with!!