PDA

View Full Version : "The Keeper"

csuggs
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
This thread is not meant to be disrespectful to any of you newer Supra owners. By all means, if you've got the wherewithall to purchase a newer boat I think that's great! The newer boats are awesome and I love the seating arrangements in the V-drives. But for those of us with a limited amount of money to "play" with, this thread is for you . . .

Grant it, my 86 Sunsport is "Old School", but it's really got everything I want and need in a recreational wakeboard boat. Of course being an inboard is essential, and there will be a tower added so those are my biggest needs. But it is in need of stringer and floor replacement now, as I know seems to be the problem with many readers of this forum. Hence, the title of this thread . . .

I know that when I have the stringers and floor replaced over the next few months, my boat will become a "keeper" because I will never be able to sell it for what I've got in it. But that's really ok with me, because even after I have done all of this work and even add good stereo and new vinyl, I'll have maybe $16-18K in the whole thing with a practically "new" boat to show for it. If I were to spend that money on another boat, I probably wouldn't do any better and would have to wonder if I was buying someone else's problems. So, for those of us sinking money into boats we love and want to keep, I say "hakuna matata" No worries mate - go ahead, spend the money and fix it up right, then enjoy all the fun memories you'll be making with your friends and family on the water! And when you snag a look from admirers in newer boats, you'll feel great!

I can't wait . . . .:cool:

Fman
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Old school boats are cool, I always like reading about the mods you guys are doing.

mapleleaf
10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm with ya Clint, my boat is definitely too small, but todate my stringers are alive and well ( I hope) and I've only got about 6k in her. Will need a Sunsport someday, but am having too much fun bringing this Conbrio back to life, I like to think of her as my starter boat, that I'll probably have for 5 or 6 years!!!!!
Can't wait to see how your resto goes Clint.....

87SunSportMikeyD
10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
:) Maple....start drivin

95' Super Sport Nautique V-Drive Ski/Wakeboad Boat - $12250 (Vadnais Heights, MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/1417239137.html
1988 Supra Saltare - 23' - $11999 (Eden Prairie, MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1413923314.html

mapleleaf
10-13-2009, 11:53 PM
:) Maple....start drivin

95' Super Sport Nautique V-Drive Ski/Wakeboad Boat - $12250 (Vadnais Heights, MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/1417239137.html
1988 Supra Saltare - 23' - $11999 (Eden Prairie, MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/1413923314.html

ha, is the spare room set up yet?

csuggs
10-14-2009, 08:36 AM
"ngavdba" - the original C of O's are cool. Pretty neat to see that!

I'm pretty much with ya on the tower. I'm not crazy about the looks on an older Supra, but my reasoning for wanting one is for seating functionality. I don't like putting everyone in the front of the boat when we are skiing or wakeboarding. Some of the newer towers look better than the older ones with "squared corners" and such. I would like to have Jim @ Viper design a custom tower "around" my boat, so that it would follow some of the older lines on my boat.

Oh - and I'm keeping my teak too!

techsledder
10-14-2009, 09:58 AM
"ngavdba" - the original C of O's are cool. Pretty neat to see that!

I'm pretty much with ya on the tower. I'm not crazy about the looks on an older Supra, but my reasoning for wanting one is for seating functionality. I don't like putting everyone in the front of the boat when we are skiing or wakeboarding. Some of the newer towers look better than the older ones with "squared corners" and such. I would like to have Jim @ Viper design a custom tower "around" my boat, so that it would follow some of the older lines on my boat.

Oh - and I'm keeping my teak too!

I'd be interested in seeing what he comes up with for you. I am looking for a tower that doesn't totally look out of place on my boat before I sink $1800-$2500 for one.

Okie Boarder
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
My boat is definitely becoming a keeper. I'm not going to do all this work and then sell her. I'm actually kind of excited to keep it old school looking, but add some new school functionality. I think about how cool it will be when it's all put back together, I have built-in ballast, tower, PP stereo all set up and people look at it in awe. Kind of like the look you give when you see a nicely and fully restored 56 Chevy.

mapleleaf
10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Well I hear ya Okie, only I'm real partial to the '52's!!!!!