PDA

View Full Version : Raw water intake hose.

foxriverat
10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Have a 96 ts6m comp with the 5.8 gt40. I am looking at the raw water intake hose going from the hull to the trans cooler. The hose routes from the hull. Then uderneath the transmission. Then loops back over the trans to the trans cooler. It looks like when they lined up the trans with the drive shaft. The hose got pinched under the transmission. It is not collapsed. But stuck under there pretty good. I can probably pry the hose out without damage. But then it will run at the rear of the trans. Worried it might contact the drive shaft If I leave it there. So I am wondering if after I pry it out. Should I unhook from the hull and route in front of the trans toward the engine. And connect back to the hull. Thanks.

Salty87
10-14-2009, 02:44 PM
if i'm imagining that correctly, sounds like someone didn't want to cut a hose that was too long? got a pic?

that doesn't sound good to me either. is your trans cooler on the same side of the shaft as the thru-hull?....i don't have a comp but my intake and cooler are on the same side, the hose just loops up and down to the cooler.

do you have a sea strainer on your intake hose?

Blackntan90
10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Lets see if I have a pic of mine- you can kinda see the hose
, it comes from the thru hull (on the far side of the pic) and goes over the trans to the cooler- it's the hose with the stripe. Hope this helps. My boat is a 1990 mariah.

foxriverat
10-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Here is a link to a post about Ontarions boat. Same motor. Hose run the same way. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?p=21365#post21365 And heres a pic of my motor. The only one I have of the engine.

Ontarion
10-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Both boats are plumbed exactly the same. There must be a reason for it. I pull the hose from the transmission cooler and then use a short length of 1" clear plastic hose to feed the antifreeze in. I don't recall if my hose is wedged under the transmission or not. The boat has been put to bed for the winter.:(

foxriverat
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Got the hose out from under the trans. Must have got wedged under there over the years. Lays on the bottom of boat. No chance of hitting shaft.

Salty87
10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
that's trippy that you guys have your water intake on the opposite side of the hull from the cooler. i wonder why? maybe too tight of a bend in the hose if it was on the same side?

Ontarion
10-20-2009, 11:56 PM
No. It is not on the opposite side. It is on the same side. The intake hose just goes from the pickup under the transmission and then loops around and over the transmission and back down to the cooler. I just figured they did it to create a trap to keep raw water in the system for whatever reason.