PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to winterize my boat?

MoneyMaker
10-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Newbie here. I can't believe I've had my Supra for 3 years and never thought to look for a site like this. Anyway, I from Utah but moved to Las Vegas this year and am wondering if it is necessary for me to winterize my boat in this warmer climate?

jaywidhalm
10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
As long as it does not drop below freezing consistently, or a real deep freeze, you would not need to pull plugs, drain the block, pull hoses, etc. If it is not going to be used you will just want to make sure the engine is flushed with fresh water, make sure everything is dry, and use a fuel stabilizer for the gas. Not a bad idea to fog the engine either, but I typically don't do this. It's always a good idea to get your engine oil changed at the end of the season too.

Fman
10-15-2009, 02:18 AM
As long as it does not drop below freezing consistently, or a real deep freeze, you would not need to pull plugs, drain the block, pull hoses, etc. If it is not going to be used you will just want to make sure the engine is flushed with fresh water, make sure everything is dry, and use a fuel stabilizer for the gas. Not a bad idea to fog the engine either, but I typically don't do this. It's always a good idea to get your engine oil changed at the end of the season too.

If it is going to sit for more than a month, I would at least drain the block, exhaust and impeller housing. Standing water in the cooling system is not a good thing. I would also NOT recommend fogging the motor, this can clog the fuel injectors. As Jay mentioned, Sta-bil is good for the fuel system. Works really well to start putting it in your fuel about a month before the end of the season so it is mixed in to the engines fuel system.

I change all my fluids, install a new impeller, and fuel filter in the spring before I take the boat out for the first time. Makes more sense to me than having fresh oil sit in your motor for a few months.... just my .02

Travis

ngavchris
10-15-2009, 07:07 AM
I agree, if it is going to sit for awhile, winterize it. I would not leave the block dry though. Fill it with RV antifreeze. Gaskets dry out and crack if you drain and don't refill. I would at least pull my plugs and spray with fogging oil into each cylinder.

MoneyMaker
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all your responses. When it comes to boats this is a bit foreign to me. I would always take the boat to the dealer for everything. I'll be looking most of this stuff up. So my next question is, if I don't winterize it would I have any issues with taking it out and using it maybe once a month? I have a dry suite and was thinking about maybe doing some surfing but I don't want to run into any issues. I apologize for the stupid questions but I don't want to screw up my boat.

JohnnyH
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I believe you do want fresh oil inside that engine went it sits up. Oil with some hrs on it has alot of contaminates. I always change my oil at the end of the season and give it a good run.

jaywidhalm
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I believe you do want fresh oil inside that engine went it sits up. Oil with some hrs on it has alot of contaminates. I always change my oil at the end of the season and give it a good run.

This is also what I have been told by the dealer. Change the oil if it is going to sit. This prevents the contaminates from settling in the bottom and causing sludge. I personally then re-fill with fresh. Oil that sits un-used for a few months will not go bad or anything.

Sounds like you may want to use your boat once a month or so anyways, so that should be even better. If you don't winterize, using it once a month should be fine, as long as there is not a freeze. I would just keep stabil going in your fuel, just in case you don't get a chance to use it for a month or two. You would be surprised how fast gas can start to go bad!!

Ontarion
10-21-2009, 12:45 AM
One of the bi-products of combustion is acid; as in acid rain. And broken down oil does not bond as well to metal to protect it from condensation over the winter; when temperatures tend to fluctuate up and down past the dew point. Acid is hell on bearings and seals and we all know that once started; rust never sleeps.

You definatley should be changing the oil in the fall.

About twenty years ago I only drained one half of my Mercruiser manifolds. They were a two chamber design with two plugs each and I didn't know it. It was an expensive surprise in the spring and cost me a couple of weeks of my precious boating season. Always better to be safe than sorry.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
All this stuff is very simple is shouldn't take more than an hour and you should be able to do it yourself with no experience no problem. Post up if you have issues, take pics if possible (take pics anyway!) and we're here for ya. Welcome bud!

What model/year boat? Put that in your profile or signature. :)