PDA

View Full Version : centering steering wheel

Jidol
10-15-2009, 11:38 PM
The steering wheel on my 03 launch SSV is off by about a 1/4. Has anyone removed the steering wheel to adjust? I am a novice at best. thanks for your advice.

John at Lake Lanier, Atlanta

Fman
10-16-2009, 01:12 AM
The steering wheel on my 03 launch SSV is off by about a 1/4. Has anyone removed the steering wheel to adjust? I am a novice at best. thanks for your advice.

John at Lake Lanier, Atlanta

John,

Just remove the allen bolts that are holding the steering wheel onto the adaptor. Then move it to the next bolt then re-tighten. To get your steering perfect you need to take it off on the lake when you find the true straight line. It never seems to work out right when you do it out of the water.

You can also pop off the center cap, remove the bolt and take it off the spline. I believe you will need a puller to do it this way.

KO1
10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Yep What Fman said. I took mine off in the garage then put it in the water and it was off at least 1/8 to 1/4. The water test is best. My steering wheel pulled right off no problem. Fairly easy to adjust.

michael hunter
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
On my 89 Sunsport you can adjust the steering cable at the steering swivel near the rudder under the center rear seat access panel. To get the wheel perfect you would need to make adjustments on the water and keep checking after every adjustment.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/supratransducer004.jpg

jaywidhalm
10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I have the same issue on my 08' Sunsport. Dealer seemed to think that you couldn't just remove the wheel and adjust the splines, but I haven't looked at this for myself yet. Sounds like these guys have experienced it, so hopefully its as easy as they make it sound!!

KO1
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I have the same issue on my 08' Sunsport. Dealer seemed to think that you couldn't just remove the wheel and adjust the splines, but I haven't looked at this for myself yet. Sounds like these guys have experienced it, so hopefully its as easy as they make it sound!!

I had to adjust mine because it was never straight from the factory so moving it a few splines did actually straighten it like it should be. If it is an older boat the cable may be stretched a little and need the adjustment. Either or both ways may fix the problem.

jaywidhalm
10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
KO1, sounds like my issue. It was off from the factory too. If it can be moved on the splines, should be super easy, only problem is I won't be able to get it tested out until the spring. With it being an 08' it shouldn't be a cable issue. Thanks for the input.