PDA

View Full Version : Winter lay-up / fuel stabilizer

csuggs
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Last year, and so far this year I have been using Stabil fuel stabilizer towards the end of the season to prevent varnishing of the gas in my carb. Recently, I saw and purchased a bottle of "marine" Stabil that has some kind of ingredient to counteract the ethanol in today's gas. Has anyone out there been using this?

jzelt
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I have gotten fuel stabilizer this year from my marine dealer that is from Evinrude/Johnson for ethanol gas. $20 for 120 gallon treatments.

michael hunter
10-16-2009, 08:13 PM
I use sea foam haven't had any problems yet.

wotan2525
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I also use seafoam per the recommendation of every engine guy I've ever talked to. 2 cans in a full-tank of gas for the winter.

tg0824SSVGG
10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I generally use either Sea Foam (use that all the time for other things too - it comes in GALLONS TOO!) or the Stabil - which is what I had on hand for the last tank fill.

csuggs
10-20-2009, 08:15 AM
Ok - thanks guys. I've used Sea Foam in the past but I keep the Stabil product in my garage for the mowers, golf cart, etc. and so I started using in the boat last year. I didn't have any problem starting the motor last spring after being laid-up all winter with Stabil. The Marine Stabil also has something in it that helps older motors with the new ethylene fuels. I will start using it next time I add gas. It's expensive, but an $18 bottle treats something like 300 gallons.

Sluggo
10-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I have been using Stabil the last couple of years but this year it just slipped my mind for some reason. Went through the whole winterization process and almost had it hooked up to the van to put in the garage. So, the question, is there a way to treat the fuel system without starting the motor given the water pump is out and anti-freeze run through it?

Dave

2005 22 SSV

jaywidhalm
10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
You could always just add it to the tank, shake the boat a little, and turn the key off and on a few times. The electric fuel pump will pump some through, until there is pressure. Better than nothing. I'm not sure without starting it how you would get it through the entire system.

In 5 months time or so, you shouldn't get any varnish build up anyway. That is what can cause serious problems. This takes a little longer to happen. You should be fine.

beast 496
10-24-2009, 11:52 PM
the fuel you have in your tank has already began to deteriorate. Current ethonal fuel has a 30 day shelf life. This shelf life begins at the refinery. The use of Sta-Bil for ethonal helps combat the corrosivness of the ethonal and the side effects of phase separation. Sea foam is a good fuel system cleaner but does nothing to condition or treat ethonal fuel. Remember all of the fuel you are buying has a minimum 10% alcohol in it. for every 50 gallons of gas you are carring 5 gallons of alcohol. Alcohol absorbs water, especially in an aluminum tank. You should be changing your fuel water seperating filters at least once per year. When was the last time you checked? Allan