PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

Bcoutsfly
10-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I have a buddy with an 08' 20SSV. We were winterizing it last night and as we pumped anti-freeze through it, I noticed most of the anti-freeze was pouring out of the drive shaft outlet onto the ground. We were only able to run it through the engine for a few minutes before there was none left to recycle through. I have an 07' Moomba LSV that has about the same setup as my buds boat and I haven't had this problem. I'm highly doubting that it was enough to open up the thermostat. Any ideas on how to prevent the anti-freeze from pouring out of the drive shaft outlet? I'm not entirely comfortable with the job so I'd like to re-do it.

Also how do you winterize the heater?

Thanks.

michael hunter
10-17-2009, 03:22 PM
You probably have a drip less shaft seal there is a water supply going to it . I think you can just block it off as long as the prop is not turning.

McDye
10-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I beleive one should never put in gear out of water, either way due to the shaft and strut also. You should be able to clamp off the dripless feed since not in gear.

I would warm up the motor first to operating temp so the theromsat is open and then change over to the antifreeze to fill block.

The heat water is feed from the block so just running the engine will get ant-freeze to the heater core.

jaywidhalm
10-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Since you are using antifreeze, running it is all you should have to do to take care of the heater. You can also pull of the feed and return hose for the heater from the engine and blow compressed air through the system. This will push any water out of the heater and hoses. This is what the dealer does up here.

Bcoutsfly
10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys. I usually run my boat up to operating temps before I run anti-freeze through it. But I do that usually to change my oil, he didn't want to change his oil. Through me off a little.

I was thinking I'd just put a bucket under the dripless seal and pour it in the main tub as it fills.

For the heater I assume you would just throttle the boat up a little and make sure hot air is coming out of it?

McDye
10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
For the heater I assume you would just throttle the boat up a little and make sure hot air is coming out of it?

No need to throttle up. Once the thermosat is opened, water will be flowing thru everything including the heater core. If you have a shower you would need it turn on to get antifreeze thru it.

Sluggo
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
In my 2005 22 SSV I have to throttle up a little to get a good flow into the heater core. If I am just sitting idle on the water the heater cools down pretty quick. I also installed drain valves in the low point of the hoses near the vdrive as an extra precaution.