PDA

View Full Version : Need help with impeller

MoneyMaker
10-17-2009, 05:03 PM
So I think I've found the impeller on the back of the motor of my 03 launch. Hopefully I'm messing with the right part. Is it connected to the belt/pully system? I took off the cover and I can't figure out how to remove the impeller. Are there any tricks or secrets to getting it out? Thanks in advance for any info.

McDye
10-17-2009, 06:05 PM
On the back?? I assume you have a vdrive.

a few things to try, spray the impeller with wd-40 and bump the starter (dont start), some use two paint can openers to pull out, also try needle nose pyers and be careful OR if it is trashed pry it out, one could order a puller there about $45.

MoneyMaker
10-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry, Yeah it's a V-Drive. Thanks McDye I've been messing with that thing all day. The wd-40 with a couple bumps worked. I'll be sure not to let it go this long again. now that I know where it is and how to change it. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Fman
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I am getting ready to pull mine off my '08, I also heard applying some vaseline/lubricant when reinstalling will make the next removal much easier.

Fishman
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey McDye...great idea on the paint can openers. I really never thought of that...I struggled with getting my impellor out this year too....had to borrow a puller from a friend to get it out....just can't justify the price of the puller and the two (free) paint can openers should do the trick. Thanks for the post.

Fishman

McDye
10-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I cant take credit, I found that idea on another site.

SZEH
10-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Remember...don't over tighten the bolts for the impeller housing cover when you put it back on. Those things are brass bolts and the heads will snap. I've read several stories of this happening. Just a word of caution.

Scott

87SunSportMikeyD
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Lets see a pic of the old impellor!!