PDA

View Full Version : Fuel mileage

RKG
06-17-2002, 05:13 PM
What kind of fuel consumption do you get out of your older Supras ( and under what conditions ie ballast, # of people, etc) Mine seems to use gas up pretty fast. One hours or so is between 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank, just driving, no ballast, two people. It only has like a 18 gallon tank, but I am wondering if my gauge is not reading right.

Salty87
06-18-2002, 12:31 PM
my tank is 40 gallons, boat is about 3500 lbs dry. i usually ride with 5 or 6 people and 0 ballast. i had been getting about 10 hours of riding with old OJ prop. new Acme seems to improve fuel efficiency but i haven't pushed it to empty yet....gas guage isn't too accurate. i'm guessing that the new prop is going to add at least 2 and maybe 4 more hours to a tank.

87 Sunsport
06-19-2002, 07:00 AM
The fuel economy on my on my 87 Sunsport is so bad that I try not to pay attention to it. I think that along with the teak detail and plush vinyl, it contributes to the sense of wasteful luxury that I don't get to enjoy in any other aspect of my life.

I use 89 octane. Do you folks add lead substitute? I have the Holley 4 barrel and occaisionally add an additive to clean it.

Salty87
06-19-2002, 01:14 PM
i try to use lead additive pretty regularly but i def. forget every now and then. i'm running 87 octane and don't know of any problems, no knocking or anything.

i've blasted my Holley 4 barrel with B12 Chemtool a couple of times to clean it out, seems to work great.

Dan Birchler
06-26-2002, 12:12 PM
We have a 2002 Launch with the 320hp throttle body EFI. We came out of a 1989 19ft runabout with a 4.3 Mercruiser and a 17pitch stainless prop.

What I have found is that when cruising, kneeboarding, skiing or wakeboarding with a small compliment, the Launch is better on gas than the old boat. HOWEVER! when loaded up with people and ballast, the Launch can make a junior member in OPEC out of me in no time. Also, tubing aggressively may actually be the worse yet. I put 10 gallons in the other day and don't think it lasted an hour.

Regarding the gage...this one is as good (or bad) as most that I've seen. When totally full it reads 3/4 and by the time it reads empty there's a half tank left. I watch for gage movement once it's down at the \"E\". Hopefully, I will get a better handle on consumtion once it's broken in all the way and we are more used to it.

SUPRA SAM
07-17-2002, 04:23 PM
I roughly figured the past couple fill ups that we burn between 4 and 5 gallons per hour. That is going off the actual run time of the motor using the hour meter. That was skiing, boarding and tubing with the rear ballast full about half the time.

It uses much more than the old 120 Force did on the deck boat, but then again we can do so much more so much faster!!

Dan Birchler
08-17-2002, 12:34 AM
I have a much better handle on fuel consuption now. I too have settled in around 4.5 to 5 gallons per hour average. This is suprisingly better than my 4.3 liter V6 IO average but I think that the whole concept that not having to work so hard for everything is actually more economical for the boat comes into play here.