PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Winterizing Question

Okie Boarder
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
As many of you know, my engine is spending the winter on a pallet. Before taking it out I changed the oil, ran some fuel stabilizer in and drained as much water as possible. Should I still consider trying to get more water out? Should I spray fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes? It is going to be in the garage, but with really cold temps it can get below freezing some days in the garage and the engine is parked right near the rear garage door.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Would there be a need to pour in antifreeze by hand?

ngavchris
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I would fill it with Rv antifreeze to help protect your seals fron drying out and fog the cylinders also. Cheap insurance that it will be ready to go when you put it back in. Keep those pictures coming.

wotan2525
10-19-2009, 02:58 PM
When I did this same thing I just dumped RV anti-freeze into the hoses and pulled the thermostat housing and filled that with RV. Cheap insurance @ $3/gallon

Okie Boarder
10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Sounds like good ideas. How much fogging oil should be sprayed into the cylinders?

21vGravityCustom
10-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Just just need a film of fogging oil, since the motor is out I can tell you from previous experience that normally you shoot the fogging oil till the motor bogs (of course you don't have this option) while running but with EFI different process. Essentially you are looking to keep the metal "moist". I don't think there is a "too much" scenario.

Fman
10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
As many of you know, my engine is spending the winter on a pallet. Before taking it out I changed the oil, ran some fuel stabilizer in and drained as much water as possible. Should I still consider trying to get more water out? Should I spray fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes? It is going to be in the garage, but with really cold temps it can get below freezing some days in the garage and the engine is parked right near the rear garage door.

I have been told by many fogging is bad for the injectors/carburetor, I would not recommend it. Put a heat lamp in your engine compartment to keep everything warm if you are keeping your boat in the garage.

Fishman
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I winterized my boat for the first time this year and learned all sorts of little tricks. One of them was(and this may be obvious to some of you...but, it wasn't to me...) to kill the engine immediately after fogging the engine though the throttle body...if you don't it seems you burn up the fog and your efforts were futile.

Fishman