PDA

View Full Version : Older Surpa back seat fix/sundeck/ice chest/fat sac holder

jet
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Did this project last winter and Its 90-95% done. I did so my wife would have somewhere to lay out on, since the back seat went bad a few years ago. And since I only wakeboard and put a fat sac in the back seat area this idea came to me. I thought a few of you might like this idea. Now I dont have to bring a ice chest to take up floor space anymore, the ice chest has 2-big leds in it for night time also. Both doors open and will get shocks soon. i have more pic's in my albums. If you need more info pm me or call. Jet 214-562-6911

87SunSportMikeyD
10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
No way Jet I wanna see the pics you got of the icechest full of ice and water bottles and the LEDs shinin! I seen 'em! You aint gettin off that easy! :p ;)

dshaff24
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I ripped all my interior out of the boat last week and been thinking about doing something like that for the 2 reasons you stated, I could put a sac under it with out it in the way, The ol'lady would have a sundeck, Nobody can sit back there anyway while doing anything behind the boat so why not?

Not only that but the biggest thing is I could eliminate a lot of money rebuilding the rear seat since the wood was kinda nasty! HMMMMMMMMM

Im guessing you made the rear storage into a cooler? fat sac under the front part of the sundeck?

jet
10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Yep, thats it. You have to reverse the rear locker though. It was made to open to the rear and now it opens to the boat. I haven't had the ice chest out late at night for pic's yet. I have been on my friends SSV.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought I saw some different pics of the cooler you posted at WW some times back??

wotan2525
10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
This is EXACTLY what I want to do to mine. How did you make the inside of the cooler? Does it drain into the bilge? I've got mine setup really close to this right now, but have no idea how to turn the ski locker into more of a cooler and less of a waste of space.

Okie Boarder
10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
There is no longer a back "seat", right?

jet
10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, the back seat is gone. you just sit on the sundeck. the seat was to low anyway and you cant sit back there when someone is riding. OK, here are some new led shots.

ice chest:
seal the vents:clear caulk
garage floor coating
$1.99 drain plug
2- 12 light white led's/wired into int lights

wotan2525
10-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, the back seat is gone. you just sit on the sundeck. the seat was to low anyway and you cant sit back there when someone is riding. OK, here are some new led shots.

ice chest:
seal the vents:clear caulk
garage floor coating
$1.99 drain plug
2- 12 light white led's/wired into int lights

Doh! My ski locker is carpeted..... so.... I'd need to fiberglass it, paint it, and then add drains. :( Be a much larger project, but I think I should still move forward with it in the spring. Would make my life SOOO much easier.

87SunSportMikeyD
10-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I love that the lid is flipped around I didn't notice that before. Nice!

I have people sit on the bench seat all the time when we are riding... As long as you have a tower, I dont see that part..

mapleleaf
10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Jet I'm assuming you just took the piano hinge and mounted it to the transom side of the fiberglass to switch the lockerlid????
Looks great BTW, I've been working on my interior and have yet to put that hinge back for the same reason...would rather it opened into the boat, of course now I'll have to put a drain in the locker and seal off the gas tank access. I've taken the rear bench out so many times that accessing it there is better anyway!

Salty87
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Doh! My ski locker is carpeted..... so.... I'd need to fiberglass it, paint it, and then add drains. :( Be a much larger project, but I think I should still move forward with it in the spring. Would make my life SOOO much easier.

the carpet pulls of the locker pretty easily, leaves a kind of shaggy corn row effect but if you're covering it up it shouldn't matter.

does the cooler keep ice for long? my locker is pretty thin, translucent without carpet.

it all looks good, my wife wants a sundeck. how is yours supported?

mapleleaf
10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
the carpet pulls of the locker pretty easily, leaves a kind of shaggy corn row effect but if you're covering it up it shouldn't matter.

does the cooler keep ice for long? my locker is pretty thin, translucent without carpet.

it all looks good, my wife wants a sundeck. how is yours supported?

Salty, think of it like a cabinet, 3/4" ply boxed and braced would be more than adequate, even for the size sundeck you could have on your boat! Didn't you say something about fatiguing vinyl??? LOL